Would you like a 3D desktop to go with that 3D printer? Sure we all do

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RAMA, Feb 27, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Vice Admiral Admiral

http://vimeo.com/59231624

Bang!

I hate to say a breakthrough looks primitive, but then we're all used to Avatar by now.

RAMA

2. Psion

Psion Commodore Commodore

Re: Would you like a 3D desktop to go with that 3D printer? Sure we al

As a prototype, this looks amazing, but I don't think I'd like to use that environment for more than brief interactions with the computer. Twenty minutes with one's hands in the air starts to become a strain, and a lot of that system's gesture recognition looks to depend on it.

I'm also a little dubious about how delicate and slow that 3D manipulation for cut and pasting text looked in the demo. I work in 3D a lot, and I'd never expect text to be difficult to move from one document to another.

Still, this is a prototype. As long as most gestures are kept to the desk surface, with only a few requiring movement in the up and down axis, I really want one.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yawn... wake me when the glasses-free holoprojections arrive. :p

4. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't want a 3D graphical interface, mainly because I don't actually do anything most of the time that requires me to manipulate files in three dimensions. It might save me some time moving stuff around between nested folders, but I do that so rarely that it wouldn't really be that much of an issue.

I'm with Gaith. Wake me up when somebody invents in-air holograms.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice gimmick but i don't see the necessity in daily life.

However i can see applications where 3D would come in handy.. engineering, medical sciences and such where having a 3D object you can handle with your hands is beneficial.

However the setup seems kind of complicated.. i'd better go with someting like Google Glass as a display and then have a free manipulation area (or something like MS Kinect to scan your gestures in realtime).

I'd rather like the displays in Avatar.. a glass like surface where i actually have a tactile response (still am itching to try a keyless keyboard ala Star Trek. My smartphone is too small to get a true feeling).

Also, and this will be rude, please try to use a speaker without a speech impediment when you present your product.