Would a series set after voyager have been more of a success

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Dec 22, 2013.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's always been that way. The only difference between now and "back in the day" is the internet, whereas it used to be confined mostly to local clubs and conventions. Criticizing and nitpicking Trek has been going on since day one, it's just that now, more people can see it and there's more to critique and nitpick with every new production.

But the majority of people who like Trek are silent, IMO, but they speak with their viewership or box office tickets.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose so. I'm from the Netherlands and 31. The Trek fanbase is not that big over here, and huge conventions is something we just don't have. So, my first real interaction with other fans was online. To me, the attitude as displayed on fora across the internet has been my biggest impression of how fans commune with eachother. Not the best view to have of other fans I suppose.

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I mostly liked it, the 24th century setting and style had grown too old and, after the Dominion War, complicated for new viewers; a Starfleet Academy could have been different but could also be considered boring.
    Enterprise was a good concept but the execution was not fresh enough and the characters not appealing enough. It also faced the particular challenge of trying to please the fans who wanted primarily new and those who wanted primarily classic aliens; using antagonistic Vulcans and the Nausicaans alienated both.

OTOH, most shows that have too many bad or mediocre episodes early on don't last more than a season if that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That fan poll in SF was wildly overplayed by the media. Only a minuscule fraction of the fans at that particular convention even voted in the poll and I believe the people running the poll had an axe to grind against the new movies, so the whole thing was pretty much meaningless; it just got a lot of press because "Trekkies Hate New Movies!" is a sexier headline than "Trekkies Have Wide Range of Opinions on New Movies!"

Similar polls, conducted at other Trek conventions, have yielded different results. So it can't be stated conclusively that "the fans" preferred Enterprise--whatever that means.

In real life, of course, the idea that "the fans" speak with a single voice and all want the same thing is ridiculous. As this board proves every day, we're an opinionated bunch--and we never agree on anything! :)

5. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Enterprise wasn't just bad Star Trek - it was bad *TV*, which is worse.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

A better written, better cast show would have been more of a success.

But, I don't know if it could have lasted longer than Enterprise. Trek was oversaturated at the time and all but the die-hards were tired of it. Just, it might have retained a higher percentage of its initial ratings before getting cancelled.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I would have just done what Berman wanted to do in the first place with Voyager, and just wait until DS9 was done. IE, only do one show at a time, and not immediately one after the other either (like a year between).

Not oversaturating and taking their time with each series would've helped a ton. Instead of milking the golden cow.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

After Voyager was over they should've put the franchise on hiatus for five years then came back with new producers.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You don't get tired of something that is good.

11. SpocksLeftEar

SpocksLeftEar Lieutenant

I don't understand why Berman and Braga just didn't quit when the studio demanded a million things they didn't want to do. Instead of becoming a slave to the studio's demands they should have kept their dignity intact and leave - or at least threaten to do so. By obeying every wish the studio made they robbed themselves of their dignity.
    Besides, a prequel show was the worst idea they could come up with. Prequel movies are mostly rubbish (see Star Wars), but they only last two hours (thank heavens for that). It was inevitable to get in contact with all the races that are part of Star Trek, otherwise they would have discovered 50 new races that were never heard of in TOS, TNG and so on. It was doomed long before the pilot aired. Sorry to say so, but it's the truth. :(

12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love what Rick Berman did for TNG. He was the right man for the right job. After that, it was just keeping on the gravy train. STAR TREK deserved to have another creative team look at the franchise with fresh eyes. We would've had a J.J. Abrams type of series a long time ago and it would've succeeded wildly ... And if ENTERPRISE is enjoying any kind of resurgence now, it's just because it was made this Century, unlike the others.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A different scenario: TNG went out on a high in terms of both it's public popularity and also in its place as (by that stage) the proud flagship of the franchise. But do we think it could have maintained that popularity, had it gone on to an eighth, ninth or tenth season?

It seemed to me, both at the time and looking back in retrospect, that TNG had a massive 'casual' following, who it seemed to me abandoned Star Trek after TNG went off the air. DS9 and VOY might have had their followings too, even ENT, but my impression has been that they were more 'devoted' (shall we say) viewers. A lot of that broader, casual audience might not have been among them, and might have lost interest in the franchise when TNG wasn't a regular fixture anymore. Maybe they just didn't carry their interest through to the movies and TV shows that came after.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yes, well at least I do.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  15. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the ratings decline in many shows, including DS9's, were directly related to the contraction of the market for syndicated TV, TNG would likely have suffered as well.

16. Lance

True. It's a hard call to make. But maybe something skewed more towards being a true follow-up to TNG might still have been able to reignite the franchise's popularity in some fashion?

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^Wasn't Voyager that show? It was based on a ship, largely driven by encounters with the species of the week. It even took on TNG's most visible adversaries, the Borg and Q.

18. Lance

^ I was thinking more in terms of what Bearded Bloke said up thread, about rebooting Star Trek with a "25th century" era show. Taking the mold that TNG used in 1987 and running even further ahead in timescale.

Part of the reason TNG created a buzz was the degree of seperation it had from the TOS era -- setting it a century later opens up all kinds of possibilities for where things have changed, developed or otherwise since TOS. More story possibilities. VOY was set in the 'present day' of the TNG era; and ENT, pitching itself as a prequel, already had the strike against it that it was alleged to take place during previously established parameters... so what was there to hook the audience into giving it a try?

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I said this from the very beginning, although I did give ENT the benefit of doubt.

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see a new series set after the events of Nemesis, not immediately after but not so long after that contemporary Trek actors couldn't guest without (too much) aging make-up.