Wood Burning = Illegal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tiberius Jim, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

She bared her boobs in a fillum once.

Not Carrie Underwood you understand.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Personally, I'm shocked that the San Francisco area has made such a liberal policy decision.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Dude, this isn't funny, humorous or anything really. It sort of makes you look 10-years-old who just learned the word "anal" and find it funny to put it wherever you can. (Pun not intended.)

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you mean Dr. Who.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, you do tend to aclimatise to the area in which you live.

If the tempature drops by 10C from the norm you might feel cold having alimiatised to the normal warmer temaptures. Whilst someone who say is visiting that area might think it's warm if they are used to a cooler tempature.

6. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose that can be true, though it's more like a 5-6C drop rather than a 10C drop in this case. I don't think it's ACTUALLY gone below 33F in, say, Oakland or San Francisco itself, more than one or two times during the last week or so. The night (after dinner till midnight) temps have been between 34 and 38, whereas they'd normally be... maybe, 40-45? It's not a HUGE difference.

And even if someone does feel that the cold is enough that they want to heat up their homes, for most people, using their furnace or electric heaters in small bursts, combined with piling on the layers, is going to be enough. Really, with very few exceptions, the only people I can see being more than mildly inconvenienced by this regulation are people whose only option for heat in their homes IS wood burning, and they're exempt for precisely that reason, so...

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[​IMG]

Incidentally, is it me or does the woman's face resemble the M113 Salt Monster from "The Man Trap" ?

8. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, because you can only have an opinion on something if it affects you directly.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Oh, of course one can have an opinion on something that doesn't affect one directly. For example: the topic of this thread does not affect me directly but I still felt obliged to respond to it.

I think it's telling that of all the salient, cogent, and reasonable explanations that have been provided since your last reply, that this is the only one you respond to.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe because I am seeing valid points and as a result have no argument to respond with?

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It's cool that you can admit that.

12. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It does look like the actress from the motion picture.

On that show's titles "Doctor" is spelled out. Although it wasn't a consideration before the revival, spelling "Doctor" out also makes the anagram with the Torchwood spinoff work.

13. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I can't believe everyone is making a big deal about this wood burning ban in San Francisco when they just banned Carrier Pigeons in St. Louis.

I mean, I don't live in St. Louis, or have Carrier Pigeons, but... What The Hell, Obama?!

Sheesh...

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Dude, it was a joke. I know who Julie Andrews is.

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fresno has been having no-burn days for years. Again, those whose only method of heating is wood-burning are exempted.

Fresno gets inversions and tons of pollution, some of it from Frisco!

We were burning on burn days. We had taken down two trees, neither doing well at all. So the flowering pear burns fast, the white maple slower.

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I know what the show is called. I was joking.

17. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

18. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    It also is exactly the reason why such a Republican stronghold area as Maricopa County, Arizona has had these same restrictions in place for almost two decades.

Do I need to send someone to pick you up off the floor for just showing that these same restrictions are in place in Arizona, where they question people because they look like they are Mexican? ;)

19. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wood burning has been a huge problem here in Greece during this and the past year. Most people cannot afford to use their heating systems - which are mostly based on petrol - because of high taxes for petrol. Since most people live in blocks of flats rather than houses and the heating systems are usually centralized, this means that even those who can afford it cannot have heating (because the rest of the residents cannot pay). Thus, more and more people have been using their fireplaces which - up to know - where mostly decorative.

Many cities (mine included) have time-traveled back to the previous century and the fog of the fireplaces is clearly visible and inhalable. The government has been issuing warnings about the danger to public health, but obviously most of these people cannot stop burning wood because it is their only way of heating...

It is a really unfortunate situation.

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Is using an electrical heater really more expensive than burning wood? Obviously, you'd have to buy one first if you didn't already own one but they strike me as more efficient than using a fireplace (if you even have one).

I have one that I sometimes use because the heating in our house gets switched on only late in autumn when my apartment is already pretty cold because I live on the ground floor.