Windows 7 Gaming Problems with Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by black_dranzer, Jan 15, 2010.

1. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dominion wars install questions

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Armada to work on Windows 7? It installs fine, and will go to the menu fine, but when I try and start a game it just gets stuck with the loading screen flickering and I have to Alt+F4 out of it.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. ktegate

ktegate Cadet Newbie

Re: Star Trek: Armada on Windows 7?

Dunno if this is a dead post or not if it is i apologize in advanced. Me and a few old armada vets like 14 of us play late night on game ranger. We all use windows 7 to keep the game from going out of sync. i will try my best to give you guys a check list to do it may help. Also if you want to come play online you can do.

Checklist:

-Install armada on windows 7
    -Patch to 1.2
    -go to armada Dir C:/program files/activistion/star trek - armada
    -right click on armada.exe - properties (here comes the fun part)
    -go to compatibility tab
    -set it for windows xp sp2
    -run in 256 colors
    -set to run as administrator
    -Check armada CD is in the drive and gl have fun

Note: that Sometimes lowering the screen resolution May help fix some gfx problems. Also there are problems known with some sound cards which is more complex to fix and results in screen lag or slow down we are trying to find a way way to fix this. Another noted problem is on machines with more then 2 GB ram, armada seems to hate going over 2gb and makes it run into the negatives telling u not enough disk space.

For online play, won servers are no longer supported o joy. So we use Game ranger, which is a free small program and is able to host armada as well as other games. I'll walk you threw online.

-Google, Game Ranger (not hard to find)
    -Download, install, register.
    -run and connect and you will shown a list of games
    -click on the top bar community
    -click: search user
    -Enter acct ID: 1221160
    -That's me, and i will try help out with any other issues.

3. ktegate

ktegate Cadet Newbie

just to be sure you did make sure 256 colours was ticked?
    Also try lowering the ingame screen resoloution and see if playing with that helps. if not be sure to reply back, im guesisng ur running a nvidia card ?

if you need it doing asap and ur shaking from withdrawl u can always contant me on game ranger :P.

4. black_dranzer

Thanks for the suggestion, still got the same freezing cutscenes and garbled screen though :wah:

Never played SFC3 over LAN, as I never knew anyone else who had it lol, but it works fine on my Windows 7....

Yeah I made sure 256 colours was ticked, just tried it again to make sure but still no luck :( Tried with the lowest screen res as you suggested too but no joy :( Yeah I'm running a nvidia geforce 8500GT 1gb.

I'm not shaking from withdrawals as I have Vista dual-booted on my PC and it works on that, but it's just a lot of hassle to have to keep rebooting to switch over and I'd prefer to have it running on 7 lol.

Thanks for all the help so far though both of you :)

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the RAM issue.
    As it was already mentioned, Armada refuses to run on systems over 2GB of RAM (and no amount of messing with the properties will change that).

I think in such situations, it would be best to install XP in a virtual machine (as a virtual OS) and allocating 1.5 or 2GB to it... but you have to make sure that 3d acceleration is supported by the Virtual machine software in question.

Either that, or installing XP on a separate partition and use the inf file to limit the amount of detectable/usable RAM.

6. ktegate

ktegate Cadet Newbie

Ugh i hate the problems with ram and armada, in xp u could modiify the boot.ini and tell it u only had 2 gb :P. Not sure if samething would be possible on windows 7. i'll do alittle digging and see what i can pull up for you. i'll post bak later with results i hope

7. ktegate

ktegate Cadet Newbie

try this program

3D ANALYZE V2.26

[SIZE=1]3D-Analyze is a tool for transform and lightning hardware emulation. So it is very useful for running TnL games on video cards that have not on board dedicated circuits for TnL calculations (like all Voodoo, Kyro, some Radeon and older). It uses power of central processing unit to do emulation.

3d analyze is a Graphics Card Emulator that can emulate all the feature of a 3d graphics card like pixelshader 1.1, 1.4, 2.0, bump maps and a lota stuff. If a game stops running on your system just because u dont have a graphics card, dont worry 3d analyze will do it for ya. run 3danalyze select the game exe, select a few options u wanna emulate and there u go the game run perfectly now.[/SIZE]

i havent tested it
    as i run an ati, but if you could give me feedback that would be great. If this works for you don't be shy and come play online XD.

8. black_dranzer

4gb, it's the same machine as my Windows 7 one...

9. black_dranzer

Yeah I'll completely agree that Armada 2 was awful, but FleetOps just makes it SO much better lol, it's like an entirely new game - new ships, the ability to choose different avatars for races that give you bonuses, upgraded graphics, customisable and more realistic Borg ships (cubes and spheres now take multiple ships to take on, more like in the series), warp has been taken out....it just feels like a different game to be honest. There's a load of commentated replays on youtube if you wanted to see what the gameplay etc is like...

Yeah I tried all of those :( Still no luck :(

Yeah they're on the same computer. Annoying that Armada goes OOS with different operating systems :(

10. Titiuu

Titiuu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ST: Generations

If you're like me and refused to throw this good game away in hopes they'd ever come up with an XP patch, you're in luck. :)

If you install this game, and click properties in the game's .exe files, and under the compatibility tab, check (or uncheck, I can't remember, but essentially make the computer worse) the available boxes (I'd be a good computer engineer, you can tell).

Then run the game. Before, the game always crashed on XP the minute Riker was beaming down to Amargosa.

When the screen STARTS to fade from the observatory, right-click. You then get the game loading screen with the proceed button, and Riker's on his way to Amargosa. I'd guess the right-clicking skips the video coming up, which crashes the game. Right-click every time you're leaving the observatory, so you get the mission that follows.

Also keep in mind that alt+ctrl+up arrow rotates the screen 90 degrees. You may need it later, but at all costs avoid hitting the Windows key. ;)

Not sure if it'll run on Vista or 7, but it runs fine on XP. :)

(Sorry if this has been posted before, searched and couldn't find it.)

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Setting Bridge Commander up from scratch

Hi gang, I recently upgraded my PC to a Win7 machine and I've dusted off the original Bridge Commander - I've read it still works fine on 7, and would like to give it a try as it's been quite some time.

Questions:

- I have two monitors, how does BC fare on that? Do I jsut get a blacnk second screen in 7?

- What is the sequence of installs for the patches / whatever from bcfiles? Back on the XP machine I got a couple crashes as I loaded it up... I wonder if there's a better order to upgrade the basic machine?

-Since I haven't in quite some time, I'm gonna go through the story mode first. Will BC handle all the latest model upgrades in that, or should I just leav it be?

Thanks for any pointers!

Mark

12. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Windows 7 ST Game Install & Run Issues with Solutions

Well for Starfleet Command I got it to run using the following method I was turned on to in another thread..

1. Insert CD and run setup exe as administrator.

2. Once files are loaded, go into the install directory. across the top where the name, size, type is located click on the file type.

3. then click on applications, to bring up only the exe files..

4. Right click on each exe file. click on properties, click on compatibility tab.

5. put a check in compatibility mode for (WTF!) windows 2000...go figure.

6. Now the boring stuff... ;) put a check in both visual themes and desktop composition and run in admin.

7. if you want to be real sure click on the show setting for all users tab and redo the whole process once more.

This method also works with Klingon Honor Guard and several other Non-trek games...

13. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Re: Setting Bridge Commander up from scratch

Install BC as normal (no difference for Win 7). Install the patch and thats it! I'd recommend the Kobayashi Maru expansion from www.bcfiles.com.

Not tried it on multiscreen - I wouldn't imagine it'd work (but would be great if it did!)

14. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dominion Wars on Vista/Windows 7

I managed to pick up a new copy of Dominion Wars recently, although I've had a bit of trouble running it. It works on my laptop, although the display graphics are mixed up (the Badlands appear green) and it doesn't work on my PC with Vista, always coming up with an error message. I've changed the compatibility settings on both, although it doesn't appear to have worked.

Any suggestions?

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Re: Dominion Wars on Vista/Windows 7

Dominion Wars refuses to work on XP or Vista, even with compatibility mode activated. It works on Windows 7, although with the graphical bugs like the original poster mentioned. Anyone have any idea how to fix that? Dominion Wars wasn't the best game ever, but it did have its moments.

16. yochenhsieh

yochenhsieh Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello,
    Dominion Wars works fine on my laptop - a MSI U210L, which has ATI x1250 IGP and Windows 7 x64 SP1. I think this game only works on specific range of old video cards.
    ATI 7500~X1000 series
    nVidia TNT2~GeForce4 series

I had it worked on WinXP and Vista before, so the video card is the only problem that decides if it plays normally.

Check my youtube channel for some Dominion Wars videos, recorded from WinXP and Win7.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/yochenhsieh?feature=mhum

17. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah the biggest problem with this game working is whether your video card gets along with it. It is very picky about what GPUs it will work with. Even old cards from its time won't necessarily work.

I've had it working in XP with a Radeon X800 but I have tried many other GPUs and had no luck. It usually won't even start up but if it does you are probably good to go.

18. Komat

Komat Cadet Newbie

I created a wrapper which improves the compatibility of DW with new GPUs. I did not have time to play the game much so there might be some serious issues in latter missions. So far I have seen few smaller graphical glitches however the game was playable (Vista 64bit, NV GF 460) so it might be worth try http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/

19. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh this is very nice. Thanks for the time and effort. The secondary display issue alone made the game not work on many cards because it would always try to use the wrong output and crash.

Your patch got the game working on my Intel GMA 900 netbook. I have a feeling this might mean it will run on most hardware now. :) The only problem I've seen is a mouse cursor delay that was solved by setting the game to Win98/Me compatibility mode.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  20. yochenhsieh

yochenhsieh Lieutenant Red Shirt

It works! :techman:
    I really thank you for this wrapper, for it just solves the problem and I can now run Dominion Wars on a modern PC!
    Tested on my desktop which has ATi HD5570 and on Windows7 it doesn't need to set any compatibility mode. May I write a link to your page in wikipedia/memory alpha?