Will Caprica be... you know, good?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by What's his face, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I want to like it. From what I have seen it looks more like a lower level sci-fi show than BSG. What I mean by that is it looks to be on the level of like a 4400 or one of those shows that you follow but don't care too terribly if/when it gets cancelled.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's amazing and better than BSG itself. Who knows? I'll sure give it a chance - even with my current disillusionment with the ending arc of BSG.

2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

I don't have very high expectations of it at the moment, the little bits I've heard here and there just don't sound too appealing. If it can add to the mythology in a positive way, and have good characters too then I'll be happy to watch. It needs to be what Angel is to Buffy. (Does that mean leave Espensen behind and bring in David Greenwalt? I'm confusing myself.)

3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I call your 1 season cancellation and raise to a 4 episode cancellation.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Since they've ordered a whole first season, and don't have the money to let that go to waste even in the face of absymal ratings, I highly doubt that.

5. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed - at the very least they'd get it on DVD.

6. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

One particularly interesting thing for me might be the opportunity to actually see a couple more of the 12 colonies - after all, in nuBSGs entire run we only ever saw Caprica. It would be nice to see what Saggiteron or Tauron is (was?) actually like.

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The Amazon.com Exclusive Clip actually caught my interest. I am cautiously optimistic about this thing.

Oh, and it looks like Temis was right about Esai Morales. He feels like an Adama to me.

8. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

Magic 8 ball says "Are you f-ing kidding me?"

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I fear 85% no, 15% yes. We'll probably get a show that could be aired on CBS and the avg public will not know that its not a 21 century, contemporary drama..except for phone lines that look like they are circa 1958. Plus its kind of like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...we know they're doomed anyway.

RAMA

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely interested in Caprica. I think it has a good chance of being creatively successful and not a bad chance of financial success - being on cable makes it a lower hurdle.

Based on his performance in Jericho, it was a slam dunk (and I'm reasonably sure that performance factored into his getting this gig - he was basically playing Jericho's version of Bill Adama.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For sure!

12. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And if there is anything certain in this life...
    the world needs more Bill Adama.:evil:

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

For the life of me, I don't understand why people aren't more encouraged about this. That clip from amazon looks very, very good. I like the two leads. It doesn't remind me at all of the 4400 or shows of that ilk. I like knowing that they're doomed, that this man Daniel is unknowingly leading humanity to disaster. Creepy is good.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

The clip that I saw looked absolutely ridiculous and made me even less interested than I was before.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've no doubt that the pilot will be good. I'm worried that when Ron leaves and Jane takes over things will go downhill. I really hope I'm wrong, though.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's very different from the mainstream of sci fi now. And maybe folks are annoyed at the general lack of space-opera on TV. For a new BSG series to not be space opera leaves us with Stargate representing the genre, urk. I'm frustrated at this too.

But Caprica is (or I hope will be) also an underrepresented sub-genre of sci fi: a show that really delves into a serious issue of sci fi (AI) and uses that as its basis for stories, exploring how AI impacts the society and the people in the story.

Other than that, we have Lost, which is great but is largely a character drama where the sci fi elements are not the point of the show; Heroes, which is in the superhero genre and certainly does not take science seriously; and various other shows, none of which really make science fiction the core of their story. Plus all the cop shows with sf/f window dressing elements.