Will Caprica be... you know, good?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by What's his face, Mar 17, 2009.

1. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm optimistic about what how you guys think Caprica will do. What about you guys?

I'm really looking forward to learning more about life in the Twelve Colonies. Ever since I got into BSG I've been fascinated about the idea of a culture that's almost identical to our own, from suits with neckties to limos to swear words like 'Frak', yet it's developed on a totally different planet with different nationalities represented. With the exception of the, you know, space ships and killer robots, it's essentially a variant of 21st Century Earth.

I also think it's really neat how the good guys are polytheists and the bad guys are monotheists; usually in fiction it's the other way around.

Are you guys looking forward to Caprica? Do you think it will do well?

2. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Not sure about it doing well, but I'm definitely interested.

On that note, I just watched a pilot for a new NBC series called 'Kings'. Decent, interesting, and potentially watchable, which probably means it's doomed.

3. Fury

Fury Captain Captain

Having read the two hour pilot script I have to say I really liked it. It's no BSG in terms of being compelling (the apocalypse is a tad hard to beat), but it stands on its own on creating a universe that feels fresh and still has room for plenty of twists. I really liked Joseph Adama and the some of the unlikely dynamics they set up with his character and background. There were a lot of interesting ideas introduced concerning cultural decadence and literally having a society spiraling out of control that I thought had tangible connections to our world.

I wasn't blown away by the plot with the Greystones, though the drama with Daniel Greystone's daughter should definently lead in interesting directions. I'm also curious about the direction they're going in concerning religious tolerance and artificial intelligence.

The pilot ends on a bit of a cliffhanger (or more accurately, a set up) and I found myself wondering what would happen next. I have admit I was pretty skeptical initially; I've always really enjoyed the military and political aspects of BSG and wasn't sure that a prequel that had a different emphasis would do it for me. I wouldn't say Caprica looks to be a replacement so much it will serve as a compliment to BSG. Anyways, I can't wait for the dvd to come out next month.

4. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wikipedia'd it. Looks pretty cool. I like the idea - that's what I was talking about. Contemporary society yet, in a totally fictional setting. I'm sick of all these sci fi shows set in a futuristic New York City (and it's ALWAYS NewYork City). It's downloading now.

And Fury, how did you get a hold of the script? Lucky you :p. Do you think us BSG fans will enjoy it? How much of a science fiction element does it keep?

5. Fury

Fury Captain Captain

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it will be pretty good but I predict cancellation after 1 season.

7. Zod

Zod Commander Red Shirt

I am disgusted with this network and the direction they are taking it but hopeful that Caprica will be interesting. By the time it starts there will be Caprica, and SG:U and what? All reality TV and wrestling and now even game shows? Maybe we need a new Sci Fi network for these shows to thrive because if I didn't know what I was looking for I wouldn't channel surf to this network anymore. Not many Sci Fi fans that I know would either, so they are messing with their core audience.

With the name change I guess though we are not considered the core audience anymore. They are going for the kids I guess.

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really curious about Caprica and looking forward to it. I think it will probably be good, maybe even great. I think it's very good they're clearly setting it apart from nuBSG on some level and giving it room to breathe.

I am a little concerned as to whether or not it will survive, however. nuBSG's ratings were falling right from the start. And I doubt this will be starting on as high a level as the Mini series. But hope dies last.

9. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel the same way, but, I know how we criticise them (often with justification) but the channel execs can't be complete idiots, right? They must already have some idea of what they're doing with Caprica, surely?

Personally, if it weren't for the fact I'm so excited for "Daybreak Part 2", I'd be champing at the bit over Caprica. Much as I love Battlestar and scifi action shows in general, I think there's a serious niche to be filled with a proper scifi drama series set in civilian life. I really hope Caprica is it, because then it can only complement a series and universe that I'm already in love with.

10. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* I believe that will be like the lastest episodes of Galactica. Good, but boring.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am cautiously optimistic after reading Fury's post.

Particularly:

Considering this is what I've been whinging on about, I have little choice. :p

12. cultcross

cultcross Janitor of the Mind Palace Moderator

:vulcan: Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
    Do you mean good but not action-packed?

I'll be very interested to see Caprica. It sounds more character, concept based Sci-Fi with the advantage of having backstory and so on set up from BSG, without the previous series stepping on its toes particularly, as it was completely different.
    I really hope they take this in new and intersting directions, and don't fall for introducing sexy female cylons by episode 5 to keep the ratings up.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

From the little I've seen, I'm not very excited. However, good scifi is hard to come by these days, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

14. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I mainly wonder how Caprica's story will fit in with what has been established by BSG:

1. Humanoid Cylons will apparently be created well before Toaster Cylons - yet this knowledge isn't wide-spread enough to let the toasters build their own humanoid models without failures like the Hybrids, and later help by the FF?

2. Daniel (model #7) will apparently "be important for Caprica" (says Moore) - yet the timeframe absolutely doesn't match, and the speculation that #7-Daniel is Greystone-Daniel doesn't make any sense. Unless it is the other way around, and #7 is modelled after Greystone, which is problematic in other regards.

15. Fury

Fury Captain Captain

Based on the script I read, the first spoiler is not accurate.

16. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* Yes, is contraditory, but it´s like I feel now for the lastest episodes. You know they are good writing, the story is good. But are boring to watch.

Maybe the problem was that Ron Moore have fewer episodes (and budget) to do a new full new arc of story before the end, but have more episodes than he needs to end the story.

17. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, that's good. Thanks for the info. :)

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to a tv movie that fleshes out some nubsg backstory. I doubt the series will go farther than one season.

19. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I have the feeling that RDM, et al, will take all the lessons learned from BSG and make Caprica even better (ie things like at least having an idea of who the 12 Cylons were, even if you change them mid-stream; having an idea of The Plan, even it changes mid-stream) This is bittersweet because it will make Caprica even better as it explores the philosophical issues of AI and slavery, but will be frustrating to think things like "why didn't they do BSG like this?"

Have no doubt, I want to like it, I am worried about SyFy forcing pro-wrestler cameos here and there, but I think it will be nice to watch.

I also hope RDM sketches a three season/thirteen ep each plan and sticks to it (more or less).

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I think it will start off good but I don't trust Jane Espensen's writing skills at all so I'm very worried about where the show will end up.