Why women dosen't display their Ranks ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by dammitjim6400, May 28, 2014.

1. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

I agree. However, it is my observation that fans of J.J. Abrams' work need to be more open to dissenting opinions rather than his critics, on this forum at least. I very frequently see his fans deriding those who dislike his work, vastly more often than I see his critics deriding his fans. It seems to me that J. J. Abrams' fans need to accept that some people don't like the the things that they like, and that an expression of a negative opinion on them is not an excuse to dismiss them. After all, we are here for an exchange of ideas, not for confrontation.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No this forum has equal mix of passionately pro-Abrams and passionately anti-Abrams.

3. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

You may be right. It may be that I notice the pro-Abrams crowd more often. In any case, there's nothing wrong with an exchange of ideas between opposing factions. So long as nobody takes it too seriously.

4. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

The reason for the lack of "openness" is that a huge amount of the, as you call it, "dissenting opinion" for the newest Star Trek films is 1) unsolicited 2) repetitive 3) not particularly thoughtful.

I hate to use a political analogy, but it's sort of like the Benghazi hearings. It MIGHT have been a legitimate issue the first time, possibly even the second time. But eight congressional hearings and fifty four press releases later, it has become obvious that one political party is trying REALLY HARD to find something to be mad about, and they want everyone else to be mad about it too, and they become upset and even offended when others refrain from partaking of their outrage.

There are, of course, legitimate criticisms of STXI and STID. The pace of both movies was very rushed, and character development for Carol Marcus and Nero both suffered from choppy editing. Kirk's rise to command, while excusable for dramatic reasons, feels more than a little contrived in hindsight, and the "caught in Earth's gravity" scene qualifies as gratuitous and shameful abuse of the Rule of Cool. These are legitimate criticisms.

"It sucks because it violates teh canon!" is not really a legitimate criticism. It is, however, the basis of the majority of such criticisms, which is one of the reasons most of the fans continue to roll their eyes at the critics who make those kinds of statements.

I am here for an exchange of ideas, and probably so are you.

Quite a few members of this board, however, are here primarily for the confrontation.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some kind of subtle epaulette motif would seem to be the obvious solution. Something atop the shoulders, either side of the neck.

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NIZOvfKpc[/yt]

7. dammitjim6400

dammitjim6400 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well I guess there's no definitive answer as to why women don't show their ranks in Nu-Trek..No one wins:)

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Some do and some don't is the answer.

9. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

Long-sleeve tunic shows rank.
    Short-sleeve minidress - no rank. It would seem any female officer wearing it is known to one and all throughout Starfleet and perhaps the Federation, thus everyone will be able to properly address the officer! None of this "Ensign Uhura" crap.

EVERY UNIFORM NEEDS TO DISPLAY THE RANK OF THE WEARER. How frikkin' hard is that for a costume designer, cripes.

10. Nerys Myk

It hasn't been a rule in previous Treks, so why should it matter now?

11. The Wormhole

Because of TEH CANON!!!!!!!11111oneoneone

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Every variation of the normal uniform should show rank.
    Rank is very important in the military.

Its not that big a deal to me though. Hope they fix it for the next movie.

I'm not worried about having ranks on say the bomb disposal, or flight suits personally.

13. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

So what was Counselor Troi's rank in TNG season 3? Or Seven of Nine's rank... EVER?

It isn't in Starfleet.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I think Seven of Nine would be the equivalent of a civilian consultant.

15. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Is that what they call ship's eye-candy in the 24th century?

16. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It's getting steadily better, really; though some people might still give you the impression of being in the wrong venue for that, to wit:

:cardie: :rommie:

If disagreements over trivia remind you of the Benghazi hearings? You're not the reasonable guy in the room.

17. Nerys Myk

Maybe the next time TOS gets remastered they can give Chapel and Noel rank insignia.

18. The Wormhole

Neither example was wearing a uniform. And Seven of Nine didn't even have a rank anyway.

But, for the record, Deanna Troi was a Lt. Commander in season 3.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi wasn't wearing a uniform variant, as she was later specifically ordered by Jellicoe to shift into uniform.

Except the times when it is. If it was important enough to show rank on long-sleeved uniforms, there must also be reasons to show it on the short sleeved ones, since they are worn in the same working environments. To make no provision for displaying rank on those uniforms does seem a minor shortcoming.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was that episode where O'Brien says somethinglike, "I believe Counselor Troi holds the rank of Lt-Commander" , and Ro is incredulous. Without the rank displayed, IMO, they just forget that all Starfleet officers are trained officers so yeah, the short-sleeved versions should display rank and just because costumers didn't bother in TOS doesn't excuse this now.

TOS Chapel would not have a stripe since she was an ensign. She becomes a Lieutenant in TAS but I have no idea if they started to display her rank stripe at that point. I deem it unlikely.

However, IMO, even ensigns should have a stripe like the broken stripe in TMP otherwise how to distinguish your non-coms?