Why Wasn't Neelix considered a candidate for removal after season 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sonak, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Why Wasn't Neelix considered a candidate for removal after season

(This is going to get me into trouble.)

(Talking about characters.)

Was Harry more or less inspirational as an Asian then Hoshi since in the future there is no human on human racism, and neither overcame any adversity to get where they got?

(Talking about real people.)

Was Garrett Wang more or less inspirational as an Asian than Linda Park since they were both answering a casting call specifically asking for Asian actors to fill the role of an Asian Character?

(Please note the trouble How I met Your Mother got into from dressing up white people as Asians 2 weeks ago.)

Meh?

Guessing without actually saying I am right and others are wrong, I believe that some one who is inspirational should have accomplished something until then believed improbable... Just as the minority cast of TOS in the 60s did, or Avery finding the lead in DS9, which equally taps Mulgrew for taking her show through 7 seasons too unlike the next white guy and the first white guy who just didn't have what it took, even though casting a woman and casting a black fellah in the lead was a stunt put in play by a couple old rich white guys.

Special note...

I didn't notice Bashir was (the other sort of) Asian (really? Alexander seems to be Arabic? Oh bother.) until his parents showed up who were both played by actors seemingly of Indianesque (The partition in 1947 makes it all very complicated) decent.

(Google, google, google.)

The Arab docblocks the Hispanic.

Odd, but interesting.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Australian tv is all white. Any time there is a non white character the entire point of that character is that they are not white. So in comparison to this everything else, including Star Trek, looks great. I have no idea if Park and Wang were inspirational for asian viewers but they were certainly long due for Star Trek. Main characters, not just the nurse you got to see once a season.

The real fail was Chak's made up tribe of space indians, and I use that word deliberately, that is embarrassingly bad.

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Commodore Commodore

Star Trek's women deserved a buddy relationship as well. Now it might never happen.

4. teacake

Jadzia and Kira were buddies. Sort of?

5. Bad Thoughts

Theoretically, yes. We see them chatting about dating and are caught out of uniform by Worf in WOTW. However there are few extended moments of commeraderi. The best I can remember is Guinean helping out Crusher after her symposium went south. We never get to see ST women together playing on the holodeck the way men do.

(Btw, I realize Bechdel is an imperfect measure of the development of women's characters, but I feel it is useful in elucidating what's missing. )

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. teacake

Yeah we never saw them playing on the holodeck, just the two of them that I recall but we did see them in medieval princess costumes (?) coming out of the holodeck at one point. Still, the buddy times didn't feature like they did with Tom and Harry, Miles and Bashir.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

We also saw them in holodeck spa together.
    Plus, I agree with the idea that just because Kira & Dax didn't spend time playing holodeck video games like their male counterparts, that they weren't BFF's. It was clear too me from their playful ribbing of each other over men & relationships that they spend allot of time together talking and gossiping.

8. Bad Thoughts

Your missing the point. Though we were given some evidence of their friendship, we were never shown it beyond fleeting scenes and conversations. Moreover, their friendship never served to undergird a storyline, whether it was a holodeck adventure or something more central, like investigating a covert organization. We got a functional, professional relationship in episodes like Hands of the Prophets wherein the depth of their friendship does not matter.

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry but I really don't see a point.
    I think it shows what is factual, women have a different dynamic to their friendships then men do.
    I don't think you need a whole story for them to show they were friends, it's overkill.