Why no Obi-Wan movie??

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mage, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Kenobi could easily feature in a "Seven Jedi" film similar to what I've pitched on this forum several times over the last few years. Old Mace Windu (missing a few body parts) and some young rebel trying to gather up the remaining Jedi (and their surviving Clone Wars allies like perhaps a couple "defective" Clones) to help out the early rebellion in their time of greatest need. End with an Alamo-esque last stand with Obi-Wan the sole survivor. Gives Boba Fett the chance for his revenge and even has room for Vader to slip in. Really I'm baffled Kennedy hasn't already thought of the idea. I can't think of anything else that would better unify the two trilogies.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"Your motherfucker's dead, son."

[ apologies to Cliegg Lars ]

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

There's some wiggle room considering the fall and that others have survived lighting far longer than he got it.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think there's a few key things in there that refer to other EU stories (something about a Jedi who once lived with the Tuskens IIRC) but nothing that can't be easily altered or written around.

A potentially more interesting idea would be to have Mace as the villain. He was always a little on the aggressive side and I doubt a face full of lightning and a decade or more crawling around Coruscant's undercity with only one hand will have improved his disposition. ;)

Maybe he seeks out Kenobi to try and recruit him for a mission of revenge and Kenobi is having none of it?

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some fans who believe Snoke is Windu. Not one of them, mind you, since it's already clearly stated that Snoke is a new character. But I suppose that could make for an interesting twist.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if Snoke is Windu then they would have hired Sam Jackson, not Andy Serkis. Because why would you ever pass up having Sam Jackson in your movie ever? ;)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched the scene on Youtube, and I think Luke probably took just as much, if not more lightening in his fight with Palpatine and Vader, and he ended up fine a little while later.
    I would definitely be up for this.

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

But wasn't Sidious toying with Luke when he shot he lighting?
    And Windu got the full blast.
    And if he survived then Plo Koon and Barriss Offee survived as well :)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given what both Anakin and Maul survived, I think there's a credible argument to be made for the possibility that Mace may have lived. It doesn't prove anything of course, but it's hardly unprecedented.

As for the lightning: there's really no metric as to what constitutes lethal exposure since the only person we've seen it kill, also happened to be kept alive with massive amounts of cybernetics. Not something is likely to respond well to massive electrical discharges at the best of times.

So yeah, maybe Luke was being intentionally tortured while Mace got a full blast, maybe not. For all we know it's not even inherently lethal in and of itself, but instead puts the victim in a state of perpetual agony until one of their systems eventually gives out under the strain.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the fact that the most recent actor to play Obi Wan is associated to the prequel movies might be what's holding disney back.

As for Mace. I uhave always thought he survived and would pop up again somewhere. An Obi Wan movie seems like a good place for him.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If so, that's pretty stupid. Ewan McGregor has an established career outside of Star Wars. And besides, he is generally considered one of the better things about the prequels anyway.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt that's even a remote consideration. James Arnold Taylor is a great voice actor, but nobody would ever seriously consider having him play Kenobi in live action and they especially wouldn't hesitate to rehire McGregor because of him. Besides, they already asked Ewan back for an uncredited voice role, so they've hardly forgotten about him.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems like a given that McGregor would play Kenobi if they did an Obi Wan movie but I'm just saying that disney seems to be very careful where they place their money. So far we have episode 7 with original cast members, Rogue One is connected to the beginning of A New Hope and the next spin off movie is based on Han Solo.
    They are staying clear of anything prequely so far. They brought back McGregor for an uncredited voice role in which he says two words that finish a sentence that they sourced from old recordings of Alec Guinness.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did bring back ROTS actress Genevieve O'Rielly as Mon Mothma in Rogue One, and Jimmy Smitts did say he has a cameo in RO back in August. If they were willing to bring them back, I don't see why they wouldn't bring back McGregor, who would be an even bigger draw.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Any suggestion that they're "steering clear" of anything connected with the prequels is simply not accurate. They had a whole panel dedicated to Ahsoka at celebration, have just published a book about her, there's prequel callbacks all throughout 'Rebels' AND Saw Gurerra is playing a prominent part of 'Rogue One'. Hell, the very next episode of Rebels looks to be nothing but Prequel callbacks!

Was there many Prequel shout-outs in Episode VII? Well no, but why would there be? That was over 50 years ago in-universe and not terribly relevant to anything that was going on. It's not like there's an awful lot to call back to anyway. All of the relevant characters that originated from that time are now dead, the major plot threads were resolved in the OT and the events have largely been consigned to history along with the old Republic, the Empire, the Separatists and the Commerce Guilds. It's basically like complaining that there's not enough depression-era references in a movie set in the 80's, as if they're somehow intentionally avoiding the topic. It's patently ludicrous.

As for the potential for an Obi-Wan movie, to reiterate: There's no mystery here as to why there's no announcement as of yet. It's simply too early. Either they haven't yet decided what to do after Episode IX or they have and they're just waiting until the announcement will have the most impact, like say next celebration amidst the trailer drop for Episode VIII, a BTS tease for 'Han Solo' and the Rebels Season 4 trailer.

16. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There still as at least a few prequels and The Clone Wars era stuff in TFA. There was an old Seperatist Hellfire droid on Han's freighter if I recall. There were flags from the Prequels and Clone Wars at Maz's place.

As for Obi-wan, I can guess they want to find a good script before they pull that thread. "Everyone knows" he stayed on Tatooine for all those years. So you have to find a way to tell a tale to go around what everyone knows, and make a good movie.

That and it will be at least 2020 before such a film would come out. Preplanning would be starting soon if they are going to do a film after Episode IX, but not likely until they get Episode VIII in the can and can get at least the Han Solo film in production.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was five words to finish a sentence of all of six words, the first one being the word "Rey" lifted from a syllable of "afraid" as spoken by Guinness to R2 on Tatooine.

Also references to the balance of the Force, clone armies, and a Jedi Temple. :techman:

18. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

How on earth did these fans come up with this theory? Good grief!!

I could have sworn there were an EU novel or two that featured Obi-Wan in an adventure away from Tatooine.

19. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There were, but the majority wouldn't know that, thus would expect him to have stayed put, thus "everyone knows".

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

On the scale of things that's probably one of the least bonkers Snoak theories I've seen in the past 10 months. Other range from "it's old Ezra!" to "it's a clone of Palpatine!"

The only one that seems to have legs is that he's some ancient being that predates the Rule of Two. Maybe even Darth Bane himself. The only clue to this is a scene in 'Life Debt' that reveals Palpatine was very interested in excavating something very old buried under the sands of Jakku. So it's still very much open to speculation.

As mentioned previously, there was a pretty damn good novel about his first few months on Tatooine that sadly came out right before the EU cut-off. I think there were also some comics here and there, though nothing you'd really want to build a film around. As much as I did enjoy the novel, I'd have a hard time seeing them turn something like that into an exciting holiday movie. Not unless they're really willing to stretch the kind of genres they're willing to tackle with these "Star Wars Stories".

There is however an ongoing canon storyline in the current ongoing Marvel comic that depicts excepts from his diary, though it's mostly set much later when Luke is about 9 or 10 years old. So far he seems to have been planet bound the whole time. The recent Ahsoka novel also has a very brief scene that features him communing with Qui Gon on Tatooine (presumably about a year after RotS.)

I don't feel like the audience assumption that he'd stay is a big a stumbling block as the idea that it'd take something pretty damn major to get him to abandon his post, even for a short time. Since he's committed to protecting Luke and forsaking any sense of responsibility for anything that's happening in the galaxy, it would probably have to be something that directly threatens the boy.
    One of the recurring themes of both the novel and more recent comic stories is his struggle with ceasing to be a Jedi. To force himself to not get involved, even in the face of obvious suffering and tyranny. Both in the wider galaxy and right at home on Tatooine.

That's probably your main hook for the story. The reluctant old warrior with a guilty conscience.