Why did the cast age so much between TMP and WOK?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Commander Kielbasa, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Commander Kielbasa

Commander Kielbasa Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There's only a 3 year shooting difference, yet they easily look a good ten years older.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because TMP was made 10 years after the end of the series, and you can't get around that.

Besides, back then there was no CGI to erase age differences.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't actually see that much difference in the photos. Maybe what we see is filtered through our expectations. TMP pretended to be set just a few years after the original series, while TWOK embraced the passage of time. Or maybe the lighting, camera focus, and makeup in TMP were designed to downplay their aging while those in TWOK were designed to emphasize it more. You'd be amazed how much difference those things can make.

4. Commander Kielbasa

I feel that the cast in TMP looked pretty much the same as they did in the series. Actually, I feel, Shatner looked better. He was leaner than he was overall in the series. Outside of the mustache, Doohan looked better overall. The only one who had any real signs of aging was Kelley, but then again, he was already close to 50 when the TV series premiered as it was.

I feel the cast aged more in the three years between The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan, than they did in the ten years between the ending of TOS and TMP.

5. Commander Kielbasa

I do think the lighting and color grading had quite a bit to do with it. Nimoy looks roughly the same between the two films, but Shatner, Doohan, and McCoy especially look very much aged in WOK. I can easily buy TMP being 3-5 years after TOS ended, frankly. I also think Shatner putting back on weight contributed to it, and of course, Doohan gained a lot of weight between the two films. I know Shatner struggled with his weight even in TOS, but for whatever reason, the added weight aged him in WOK and the following films.

I also think the costume design emphasized their aging. Maybe it was the color or cut, but I've always hated the II-VI costume design. I call it the Lobster Suit. They look like space versions of the Redcoats. Whereas the TMP uniforms always struck me as more futuristic and "sci fi."

6. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that pic of Bones is from VI.

I think I read in the recent Return to Tomorrow book the make up people were trying to make them look as young as possible for TMP (as was set only a couple of years after TOS) but in TWOK which was set 10 years? on from TMP it became about playing their age

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

TMP was set 2 and a half years after TOS, but made 10 years later. Much makeup etc was used to hide the actors' ageing. Wrath of Khan is set 15 years after TOS, so they dialled back and let them act closer to their real ages.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it was set two and a half years after the end of the 5-year mission, which makes it more like four and a half years after TOS, by current assumptions.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  9. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because in-universe TMP is set in 2273 and TWOK is in 2285. That's a 12 year difference! :D

Leto_II, Armus and Balok's Decoy like this.
  10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd err on the side of thinking that makeup/lighting etc was used to 'deage' the actors as much as possible in TMP, rather than them all having aged in the short space between movies to TWOK. Realistically, TMP was meant to take place only a small handful of years after TOS, despite the larger 10y gap in real life. TWOK embraced the aging of the characters instead, meaning the makeup people didn't need to hide the actor's wrinkles anymore.

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Commodore Commodore

Not just the makeup & lighting were attempting to make everyone seem closer to their TOS days. The costuming was doing it too, those tight tops & light colors etc... Compared to full blown double breasted coats over turtlenecks. I honestly don't see much difference between 1 & 2, but there sure was a huge effort to make them appear to be different

12. KennyB

KennyB Knight of Ren Premium Member

I never noticed much difference except for Shats hair........I really hated the Frankie Avalon/Bert Convy hair.

BillJ, Hippocrates Noah and Green like this.
  13. Green

Green Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They used a lot of make-up in TMP to hide their age. They didn't in TWOK.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. Hippocrates Noah

Hippocrates Noah Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, from what I understood Shatner was fully prepared to go into TMP makeup and try to play Kirk as younger for TWoK but didn't since aging became such a big theme in the script.

15. Armus

Armus Captain Captain

I always thought Shatner looked best in the TMP Admiral Uniform.[​IMG]

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I think the Uniforms (And maybe Make Up) had an impact on the age of the various characters. The MP uniforms were not all that great.