Why did "Crossroads" show us a different era earth?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by hxclespaulplayer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

From BSGwiki:

Well it would seem that BSG occured 150,000 years ago, either this was an oversight, or we might have gotten a different ending...

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow . . . what an insanely small and trivial thing to nitpick

3. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I think Earth in "Crossroads" was the same as Earth in "Daybreak" and any further dissection of it is bordering on weird.

4. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think, and I have that on good authority, that the CGI model of Earth was based on the same template...
    I might be wrong though. ;)

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    They were foreshadowing the 150,000 Years Later bit.

Yeah!

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

It was a 150,000 year-long zoom out and zoom in from the RTF to Earth. It just seemed shorter to the viewer because of time dilation. But there's an easter egg on the DVD that allows you to correct for time dilation, and experience the zoom in all its 150,000 year long glory.

7. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

A continuous camera move across the galaxy (note that it WASN'T a jump) would have to be time-lapse photography covering tens of thousands of years of time. It was 150,000 years ago at the beginning of the shot and by the time the camera got to Earth it was the present.

What do I win?

EDIT: Frak, chrisspringob beat me to it

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Could just be an oversight on the part of the CGI department.

9. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

And you couldnt blame them either.

10. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Think it mentioned in the RDM invterview for the final (linked in the relevant thread) that the Earth from Crossroads wasn't supposed to have clearly identifiable land masses to indiciate whether it was our Earth.

The ideas now the series has finished that the Earth of Crossroads was the Earth of the 13th Tribe but not our Earth in anyway, shape or form. Where the Colonials have settled (our earth) it to them Earth Mk II

11. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Just the opposite, the Earth from Crossroads was designed to be instantly recognizable. The Earth from Revelations is what you are thinking of. Crossroads Earth is Daybreak Earth.

12. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I thought that because we see no landmasses on the Cylon Earth, but we do on the Crossroads and Daybreak Earth that we can assume that the Crossroad's Earth is our Earth.

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yeah, they used a picture of current day instead of the picture of Earth from 150,000 years ago.

How dare they!

14. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

I know it's splitting hairs and I don't really care either way, but since the info has been on bsgwiki for a while, i thought there may have been some time difference for an alternate ending - that only an eagle-eyed viewer (or bsgwikier) would notice the difference. Though, I bet the viewers living along the Mississippi delta are pissed! :p