Who's your pick for the new captain?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jedi Marso, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Karp666

Karp666 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think lots of male trekkies wouldn't really relate to a black female lesbian captain, but still wouldn't mind one.

First alien captain of the Enterprise, who had to get through numerous obstacles and is still struggling with some prejudices - I can see this working, this would set up a much better background for social commentary and would be more in tone with a sci-fi show than any of the present-day minorities.

How many non-human Starfleet captains have we seen?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how people seem to have the notion that alien characters aren't relatable too. I often find them far more interesting and compelling characters than the humans on the shows--I may not be born to a Vulcan father, orphaned during a Romulan attack, or cast out into the cosmos by my people, but most alien characters have arcs and development that resonate.

Zonker likes this.
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A Vulcan, a Bolian, some nameless aliens in crowd scenes...that's all I can think of.

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A Benzenite has been mentioned but never seen. We saw Nog as a Captain in a future timeline as well. Drawing a blank now.

That's it, we need an alien Captain, the human-centric domination of Trek must stop!

5. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Alien leads tend to work perfectly well. I've always found it odd myself that they're shied away from with Trek captains so far - especially when you take Spocks popularity into account.

Zonker and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  6. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock was never the lead, he was so great because of Kirk.
    Worf was never the lead, he was just a supporting character.
    Odo was... you get the point.

7. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well isn't that a hell of a thing. When I picked Idris Elba for the new captain I didn't realize he was in Beyond and cast as the lead villain!

That being the case I'd better dream up an alternate. Also, given the latest info on 'STD', it appears that the new show may not be set post-Nemesis after all, which would also affect the pick. Different centuries need different personalities.

8. Zonker

Zonker Commander Red Shirt

Whatever you say Shatner. While Kirk, Spock and McCoy all worked well with each other and brought out the best in each other, I don't think any of them really needed the other. Spock was a great character even without Kirk and Bones contrasting him.

9. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

They should just cast Alexander Siddig as a gay Muslim captain.

10. Jedi Marso

Wouldn't he have to kill himself instantly in order to fulfill the tenets of his religion? ;)

11. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Muslim an ethnic distinction or religious? I guess it's religious since you see people not from the Middle East claim to be Muslim.

How about we say Sudanese instead of Muslim and just leave the religion out of it? Problem solved.

INACTIVEUSS Einstein likes this.
  13. Jedi Marso

Getting back to the core topic, having had 7 seasons of Siddig as Dr Bashir I think it would be pretty jarring to re-cast him as the lead in the new series. Just the way Idris Elba playing such a large part in the new movie sort of disqualified him in my head after picking him as the new captain earlier on.

In short, we need someone who isn't constantly 'pulling us out of the story' mentally. It's one of the reasons I don't like movies with Tom Cruise so much any more- these days I'm never seeing the character, I'm seeing Tom Cruise.

14. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hire a woman and you have your minority banaza. All in one value pack! No need for token characters, you have the UBER-TOKEN character!

15. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I'm still looking forward to the gay Horta bar scene. And you misspelled bonanza.

Is that two male rocks scraping each other on the bar? OK, wait a minute, did one of them just spew acid?
    Horta masturbation on a federation starship! Brought to you by the enlightened among us.

OpenMaw likes this.
  16. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would be a great captain in my opinion, but he's obviously got other stuff on right now.

Bry_Sinclair and Mach5 like this.
  17. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given Fuller's past comments, I think a Female captain is almost certain and a black female is likely. Personally, If it was set post Nemesis I'd like to see Elizabeth Dennehy return as Captain Shelby.

18. CJCade

CJCade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Law & Order fans take note, how about Linus Roache?

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral