Who's getting the R2 Season 4(.0) DVD set?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by MyCylon, Sep 14, 2008.

?

Will you buy the R2 season 4(.0) DVD box set?

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

When one of the episodes from season four was shown on Sky One before Skiffy, I Sky+'ed it that week. It sounded hideous. Even Starbuck sounded like Alvin. I'm reliably informed that for no reason whatsoever, the version on Sky One HD was just as bad which doesn't even make sense.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Luckily most of us don't notice.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure most people won't but the thread title asks if I will be buying the R2 season 4.0 set and I gave my answer. You asked what "chipmunked" meant so I explained. I see that as a good reason for my answer.

The extras are also important to me.

4. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Yeah, sometimes it actually makes things that bit easier.

I can understand that you wouldn't want to go back if you noticed it, though.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^The only show where I don't notice it now is The Simpsons and that's mainly because I watch that on Sky One mainly.

Yes, it's annoying having to wait longer for the DVDs but the R1 versions seem to have had more effort put in to them so far.

6. MyCylon

^
    That's certainly true - at the very least in terms of extras. But so far I've been quite happy with the R2 ones.
    The only gripe I've had so far is that the R2/R4 release of season 2 has a difference in brightness between some of the episodes. Then again, I got the entire season brand new for only 20 € :D.

7. Deckerd

Just read on Amazon that the second half of S4 will be marketed as S5 in R2, which is why it doesn't say Season 4 Part 1 on the packaging.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

We're going to get loads of people thinking they've seen episodes that the Americans haven't now.

9. Deckerd

It sort of makes sense, though, since there's such a big gap between the two halves.

And it makes non-R2 people think they've missed a load of episodes :p

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

A similar thing happened the other way around with Futurama. There are people who are still convinced it ran for five seasons and not four.

11. MyCylon

That's what I expected they'd do. I think this is a really bad move. All it's going to do is cause confusion and further reinforce the notion that it's a rip off.

It's too bad BSG is getting this kind of treatment. I certainly think it deserves better.

I mean, really, I'd have no problem with this had they simply decided early on that this would be two instead of one season. Season 1 only had 13 episodes so why not?

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sci-Fi are trying to spread out what little decent original programming they have left before Universal finally decide to pull the plug and turn them in to a general entertainment channel.

13. Deckerd

They should just call it season 5 and then everyone will be happy.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Until they decide to split it in half again.

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought everything was shot 720p60?

So it's shot at 23.98 then? On what format?

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure about every show but see what you can make out from this.

It looks to me like they shoot everything at 1080p24 which makes sense. This PAL/NTSC business should be an irrelevance now everything is shot for HD.

However, Sky One HD screw this up quite a bit. The versions of the episodes they show still go through a NTSC->PAL transfer and still get sped up. I guess this is because they want to downscale that feed for standard definition.

I imagine a Blu-Ray release would be fine, though. A Blu-Ray player will just output the 1080p24 video at whatever the user's TV will support.

17. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must be kind of deaf as I've never noticed this increase in pitch. Admittedly, I saw Season 2 by other means a long time before I rewatched it on my R2 DVDs, but I went straight into rewatching Season 3 by other means as soon as I'd run out of DVDs to watch and didn't notice a difference. I might have to test this some time.

18. John Clark

John Clark Commodore Commodore

It's just arrived from my pre-order and here's what you get. I've not played it yet though.

Disk 1
    Razor - described as extended feature
    Commentaries, deleted scenes and minisodes

Disk 2
    He who believeth in me
    Six of One
    The Ties that bind
    Escape velocity

Disk 3
    The Road less travelled
    Faith
    Guess whats coming to dinner
    Sine Qua Non

Disk 4
    The Hub
    Revelations
    Bonus Features - Deleted Scenes, sneak peak of the final season.

There you go folks:)

19. MyCylon

^
    Thanks for the rundown!

I checked at HMV yesterday, but they didn't have it yet (not that I was expecting they would since Monday is the release date). I wonder if some stores will have it at the weekend, though. Patience may be a virtue but.... :D

20. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Luckily I live in America so I usually am not subjected to horrid PAL video but it really is horrible. Everyones voices are higher and the worst one is Captain Picard on Star Trek TNG. He really does sound like a chimpmonk. I can't get into the story when the presentation is ruined like that.