Who's getting the R2 Season 4(.0) DVD set?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by MyCylon, Sep 14, 2008.

?

Will you buy the R2 season 4(.0) DVD box set?

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As most of you probably know, the R2 Season 4 DVD set is coming out on the 6th of October. I'm just curious: Which of you guys will be picking it up when it's released?

Personally, I'll say I'm VERY tempted EVEN THOUGH it's not the entire 4th season (contrary to what it says on the box...) but only the episodes through "Revelations". I've seen each episode from season 4 only once so far, and I'm really eager to see them again.

At 25 £ it's not exactly a bargain (you can get the other season in their entirety for the same price or less), but it's also still affordable ;).

So what about you?

2. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Oops. I voted 'Yes' before seeing the R2 part. So let's pretend I said 'No'. But if I lived where you do I would buy it. So 'Yes'. Theoretically.

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably will do eventually, but I have all of Season 4 recorded on my Sky+ still, which I'm 8/10 way through rewatching at the moment.
    So I'll hold off buying this for the mo, and probably wait till the price goes down a bit

4. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

Yes, I didn't tape the first half and my husband missed quite a few episodes, so we'll need to get caught up for the final half.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I probably will, assuming it comes out here in NZ and they won't wait for the second half to make a complete season four set, just like they did with season two.

Otherwise I'll buy the full set as normal.

6. solariabsg25

solariabsg25 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I deffo will - normally I'd wait for the R1 due to the lack of extras in general on the R2s, but this time as I don't have sky one (curse you Virgin Media!!) I've been unable to record and watch at my leisure, so this will tide me over 'til it comes out stateside.

7. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to say I'm not sure yet. I suspect I can hold out for a complete season set next year since the first 10 episodes are still fresh in my mind.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No way. It'll be chipmunked to hell and the extras won't be nearly as good as the R1 release.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I take it the R2 set of all season 4 will come out way before R1 again. I'll just wait. I don't understand what 'chipmunked' means and I never watch the extras since they're always utter guff packaged up to make the buyer think they're getting something special.

10. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Hellz yes! But I will double dip once the super-duper über boxset is released.

11. MyCylon

Re. Hermiod:
    Chipmunked? What does that mean? Never heard that expression.

Personally, I don't really care about extras. As long as the episodes are there in good quality, I'm happy.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The term "chipmunked" refers to the effect of the NTSC to PAL transfer which causes a slight but very noticeable increase in the pitch of everyone's voices, the music etc. In effect, everyone sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks, hence the term.

It becomes very noticeable if you are used to the US releases. Thankfully you don't get this with HD releases - the Region B Blu-Ray release of Heroes was fine (though that's mainly because Universal just used the same discs as the Region A release).

13. Deckerd

It obviously isn't noticeable.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Have you heard the US releases ? It is extremely noticeable once you get used to those, to the point of being unwatchable.

15. MyCylon

Interesting. I'd never heard of that before. I'll also honestly admit that I've never noticed a difference.

I'm surprised though that the pitch would be higher. The PAL / NTSC thing (or 50 vs. 60 Hz) in video games always meant that PAL releases would run somewhat more slowly. Hence I would have expected it to lower rather than higher. But then I suppose it's a different issue.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

American television shot on video, or these days shot on digital equipment for HDTV broadcast, is recorded at 24fps a format known as 24p (p is for Progressive as opposed to Interlaced).

For European standard definition broadcast, this has to be sped up to 25p.

17. MyCylon

^
    Ah, alright.

18. Deckerd

It's not noticeable to the vast majority of watchers is what I mean. If you know about it, make a comparison between the two, and then obsess about it, it might become unwatchable, but not to most punters.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

For most, sure, but then most don't download the US releases. Once you do notice it, though, you can't go back.

20. MyCylon

^
    I suppose it also depends on your hearing. I think some people will be more likely to pick up on those things than others.
    I have seen R1 as well as R2 versions of the episodes and, honestly, I didn't notice anything. I'd probably notice it back to back but that's about it.