Who would you cast for an imaginary TNG Reboot

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by talon1579, Sep 3, 2010.

1. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

How about Gillian Anderson for Dr. Crusher? It may be type casting, but I think she would do a good job of making Dr. Crusher, a strong character with a lot of depth.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pfft, neither are Timothy Dalton, Jason Isaacs, Christina Hendricks, Alicia Witt, or any other still-successful actors in this thread :)

3. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I was waiting for someone to vouch for Gillian Anderson despite her not being gorgeous enough, but I would think she's better off cast as Troi and possibly wearing a brunette wig.

Her voice reminds me of Diana Muldaur's voice a bit too much.

Speaking of whom, I'd like to see both Crusher and Pulaski in a reboot. Have Pulaski promoted at the end of the first movie and not dumped hastily like she was at the end of S2. That episode where Crusher and a guest doctor operate on Worf could serve as a template for conflict between the two in the movie.

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that you mention it, I'd love to see Oksana Akinshina ("Lilya 4-Ever") as Tasha.

I think that's a great idea. :bolian:

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Worth pointing out that Gillian Anderson is 42 now... could work for Crusher, who was supposed to be 39 at the start of TNG, but I don't see it working for Troi.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Vincent Cassel, but he's totally wrong for Picard.

Here's another suggestion: Monica Raymund (Ria Torres from "Lie to Me") for Ro Laren.

7. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I'm too busy at the moment to come up with a case against the not-so-gorgeous Gillian Anderson, but rest assured a case will be made like with the others soon.

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Okay, I've made my cast list. I'd prefer a TV show, because I think if done right, you can do more with the format, some some of these people are decidedly film actors. The beautiful thing about fantasy casting is that it can be completely unlikely.

Captain Jean Luc Picard- Jason Issacs (I think he has the gravitas for the role. He can play the hardass captain and I think he can play the gentle side)

Commander William Riker- Ian Somerhalder (I think he's perfect for the untested, yet driven XO and I think he'd be able to grow into her role)

Lieutenant Commander Data- Zachary Quinto (I watched Heroes before he was casted as Spock and he would have been my choice back then. He has a very robotic quality to him, in a good way and I would believe him on a quest to be human, though I would probably change his origin to be a product of an alien species. If female, I'd go with the 100% shameless type casting of Summer Glau)

Lieutenant Deanna Troi- Emmy Rossum (Way too high profile, but she's one of my favorites. She's a pretty good actress and I think she has the angelic beauty and I think she can play an intelligent professional as well. Plus, she was in Dragonball Z, which means she's not opposed to the genre)

Lieutenant Worf- Naveen Andrews (I always liked Worf better when he was playing up the child of two worlds, rather that uber-Klingon warrior, which frankly clashed with his Starfleet duties. I believe Andrews is perfect to play a person tormented by where he comes from. Plus he can play a badass when need be).

Lieutenant Commander Geordi LaForge- Lee Thompson Young (I feel like he's can be kind of geeky, yet he can be cool at the same time. And since we're in an era of nerdiness being kind of "cool" I think we need a cool chief engineer while still staying true to the character. He was easily the best part of Flash Forward)

Dr. Beverly Crusher- Gillian Anderson (Nuff said. We already know she can play a Doctor, which I have to imagine is pretty difficult. Crusher, to me is someone who should be kind of normal, in an extraordinary world and I think Anderson can excell at that. She also has that classic beauty that I associate with the good Doctor)

Lieutenant Natasha Yar- Allison Mack, but only because I don't want to say Emilie de Ravin (I think both can play varried roles where they can show some sensitivity, yet at the same time be very strong women, which is how I see Yar. With her history, it would make sense that she would be relatively broken, yet trying to hide it with her rocky exterior. I think both can do that. Emilie would be my first choice due to how she played Claire in Lost from Season 1-4 to Season 6, but I don't want to make it seem like I can only think of people from Lost)

Q- Michael Emerson (He was born to play the role of the sometimes good, sometimes evil always troublesome Q. Yes, I know he's from Lost, but honestly who could be better?)

And I'd probably switch Wesley to a girl, although I don't really like the name Leslie. Don't know why, someone by the name of Leslie probably did something to me in another life. But I think that the single mother/son relationship is a television cliche. So making her a girl would change that. Maybe have someone like Kay Panabaker play her.

9. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Anderson as Crusher and Mack as Yar are very good suggestions. I can completely see them in the roles.

How about Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Troi?

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

That's another option. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything mature, which I feel is important for Troi to be taken seriously. She does have the looks though.

Edit: The one thing that de Ravin has on her side is that I think she'd be able to do a convincing Sela, which I would use, but in a very different capacity.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  11. Christopher

Never cared for him.

Why is she only a lieutenant in your version?

That's an interesting choice. He also plays Vic "Cyborg" Stone on Smallville, so he has some experience playing a guy with bionic parts.

And personally I thought John Cho was the best part of FlashForward, but Young was good too.

Of those two, I'd prefer de Ravin. I recall her doing a good job as the menacing Curupira on BeastMaster: The Series, so I think she has more of an edge.

Can't quite agree with that, since Leslie happens to be my middle name...:lol:

12. Analog Kid

To be honest, Marina's filmography prior to TNG is spotty. She didn't have many roles where her character even had a name, so lack of prior form in main-cast drama isn't necessarily an obstacle. As for Mary, it sort of depends if you count being Lucy McClane in Die Hard 4 as mature or not.

13. Christopher

I just had a cool idea for a reinvented version of TNG: Combine the characters of Tasha Yar and Ro Laren. Call her Ro, but blend her Bajoran-Occupation backstory with Tasha's story of a woman who grew up under hellish conditions and came to see Starfleet as her salvation from them. But have her be not as "domesticated" an officer as Tasha, more prone to defiance like Ro, which creates more inner conflict.

14. Analog Kid

I think Mack looks more distinctive as well as having the range, though that's just personal preference. De Ravin doesn't really stand out from the crowd for me.

Your suggestion for a Ro/Tasha combination bears merit :)

15. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Riker (and Yar) are probably the two I had the most trouble casting. I don't spend a lot of time watching TV or movies, so I'm not well versed in young Hollywood. Somerhalder seemed to have some Season One Riker like qualities from what I saw in Lost. What would your choice be?

Because I casted her so young and I didn't want to have a ship full of Commanders. It's already unlike that there are as many officers as are shown.

Sorry, Mate. I tell you, It was a past life. haha

16. Crewman Wunline

Crewman Wunline Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

`````Heinlein tried to pull the creative process's mask away again and again; in how many novels did he have some character say some variant of, "...so I filed the serial numbers off the plot, changed the title, and sold it. Then another switcheroo, and I sold it again. Always steal from the best." ?

17. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I actually really like this. The one problem is that I was going to have her hellish planet be somewhat inspired by the Maquis in that it was the result of a bad agreement in the Kitomer Accords and because of that she hates Klingons, making her relationship with Worf...

Klingon/Cardassian Treaty? I think so.

I this case I'm leaning more towards de Ravin. I think she can play an alien better.

Edit: Would "Yar Laren" be too cheesy of a name?

18. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Oh, I don't mean that she hasn't made a name for herself. Someone who's never been in anything before could be the perfect person for the job. I just haven't seen MEW in anything that makes her like the image I have of Troi in my head. I could be wrong, she might be perfect.

19. Crewman Wunline

Crewman Wunline Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

`````Okay, this question really got me interested! So here are my third, second, and first choices for roles. I was doing some SERIOUS outside-the-box thinking here, so please don't dismiss a choice automatically, just because it seems, on the surface, incongruous, okay? (In that far-off future, people won't generally be quite so hung up on issues of age, appearance, and gender.) So here goes:

PICARD: 3, Sean Connery.....2, Julie Andrews.....1, Philip Seymore Hoffman
    RIKER: 3, Guy Pearce.....2, Jude Law.....1, Christopher Meloni
    DEANNA: 3, Sandra Bullock.....2, Gywneth Paltrow.....1, Zoey Deschanel
    DATA: 3, Fisher Stevens.....2, David Sedaris.....1, Joseph Gordon Levitt
    BEVERLY: 3, Courteney Cox.....2, Christina Applegate.....1, Isabella Rossellini
    WILL: 3, Jonathan Lipniki.....2, Mara Wilson.....1, Haley Joel Osment
    GEORDI: 3, MichaelClarke Duncan...2, Temuera Morrison.....1, Liev Schreiber
    WORF: 3, Patrick Warburton.....2, Dwayne Johnson.....1, Brendan Frazer
    TASHA: 3, Linda Hamilton.....2, Drew Barrymore.....1, Jodi Foster
    O'BRIEN: 3, Steve Zahn.....2, Johnny Galecki.....1, David Krumholz
    KEIKO: 3, Bai Ling... 2, B. D. Wong... 1, Sandra Oh
    Q: 3, David Ogden Stiers... 2, Dan Ackroyd... 1, Christopher Walken
    LUOXANA: 3, Elizabeth Hurley.....2, Te'a Leoni.....1, Laurie Metcalf
    MR. HOM: 3, James Whitmore.....2, Ben Kingsley.....1, John Lithgow
    GUINAN: 3, Portia di Rossi.....2, Maura Tierney.....1, Lily Tomlin.

`````That's what I got--feel free to mix'n'match.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard - Wenworth Miller
    Riker - Brian Austin Green
    Troi - Maggie Siff
    Data - Alan Tudyk
    Crusher - Gillian Anderson
    LaForge - Michael Perrineau
    Tasha - Katee Sackhoff
    Worf - Christopher Judge