Who / What is Kara Thrace?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Twilight, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Dar70

Dar70 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My theory is that Starbuck never died. It was never answered why she came back. So we dont know and never will. End of story.

She didnt disappear into thin air at the end. She just ran really fast before Apollo turned around.:lol::p:p

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starbuck is a star child, like Dave Bowman. The mini-series had a whole 2001 vibe, and so did the end.

-Chris

3. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

But didn't the hybrid say she would lead the human race to their doom? Maybe not that exact wording but it wasn't just "end" it was sinister sounding.

But hey, I guess she did because if you think about it all of humanity did die out and the Hera based, mitochondrial eve based people lived on.

So that's a little fuzzy to me. Does it mean that the human race (Adama and company) never had a chance anyway and that their sole purpose was to get Hera to Earth II?

Also - If Kara is an angel or an agent of God or whatever - why all the mystery? Why can't she just know what to do and where to go?

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The dying (dead) leader who brought them home.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

My thoughts, as well.

And I'm totally okay with that. We expect science fiction to always give us the answers. What I like about BSG is the way it prefers to leave us with questions. It's not good if the questions aren't interesting, but in this case, I think they are. I had a feeling her existence would not be concretely explained, and I'm fine with that. The mystical elements have always been part of the show. This is just one more thread in the tapestry.

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

The survivors spread out over Earth. Early humans were already migrating by then. The idea that only Hera's ancestors lived is pretty silly. Unless you take into account the Great Flood, since religion is real in this universe. Maybe Noah and company were Hera descendants.

7. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless RDM says something different in the podcast I firmly believe that Kara died in "Maelstorm" as a continuation of her destiny. She (actually Kara not an angel or something) was brought back to lead the people to Earth (2). When that was accomplished she had no reason to remain and therefore stopped existing as it were. I hope that's making some sense (I'm really tired.).

8. Robert Maxwell

Hera being Eve is no more unlikely than any other individual being Eve. This is 150,000 years ago, after all. Several ice ages followed, and humanity was reduced to about 10,000 people roughly 70,000 years ago. If the vast majority of those 10,000 were descended from Hera, which is at least plausible, then interbreeding would have finished the job over time.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that the reference there is real science, not something Moore made up. He's referencing Mitochondrial Eve, who really lived about 140,000 years or so ago.

10. Robert Maxwell

Making Hera out to be Mitochondrial Eve is, I admit, really ballsy and brilliant. They had to do something to make her live up to the hype... mission accomplished! I don't think there is any more important role they could have given her.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This. Pre-"Maelstrom" Kara was just a human being, chosen by God. Post-"Maelstrom" Kara wasn't truly Kara, just a manifestation sent by God to lead humanity to Earth.
    Just because you don't like a plot point or how it was done, that doesn't make it a cop out.

12. ManOnTheWave

Well, all of the humans wouldn't be descended just from Hera though. She'd just be the first of her kind. Most of the rebel Cylons were females. I imagine a lot of "breeding experiments" went on all over the world when the humans and Cylons had little to do other than watch their crops grow.

"Gods I'm bored."

"Wanna play cards."

"No, let's frak."

A generation later, there are lots of mitochondrial Eves and Adams.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have to work through it a little bit, but "mitochondrial Eve" isn't the "most common recent ancestor" which is what you're talking about.

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it was "end." And the Kobollian human race did end, culturally and, eventually, biologically. They bred out, with the cylons and the native humans, and left a new human race made from all three of them. It's like what Baltar said in part one; once Galactica was gone, it meant the end of the life they had and the beginning of a new one.

15. ManOnTheWave

I get what you're saying.

16. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Maelstrom podcast, RDM did say that Kara was "accepting her destiny to go into the storm and end her life" or something like that. At the time I figured it was just a way of saying her destiny to go into the maelstrom and find earth or whatever, but not die... but now I see it really was her destiny to accept death, go into the storm, and die.

17. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

Kara may have been an angel but she was also herself. Otherwise she would have known the coordinates to (our) Earth from the moment she was resurrected. She possessed them all along, but first she had to pass The Deity Formerly Known As God's tests to recognize the knowledge within her.

Also, Galactica probably could not have jumped to (our) Earth from anywhere but the Cylon Colony, next to the singularity. If Kara had known the song notes were jump coordinates from the beginning, they wouldn't have worked from where they were before.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Right. I don't think post-"Maelstrom" Kara was a completely different being, just Kara temporarily reincarnated by God. She was given the map to Earth, but it was up to her to figure it out.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Interesting, that actually makes that story work better for me and makes sense of the white viper and all. Hmm, I may have to reevaluate my opinion there....

20. Teldune Arcania

Teldune Arcania Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, finally we know who it was.