Who is the best doctor?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Jan 30, 2013.

?

who's the best?

1. Doctor Leonard McCoy

32 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Doctor Beverly Crusher

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Doctor Julian Bashir

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. "The Doctor"

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Doctor Phlox

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I agree. I like McCoy, but he rarely (if ever) attempted to resuscitate anyone. Ooops, his heart stopped beating a few seconds ago, so, well, that's it then... "He's dead, Jim!"

He tried to revive Gorkon, who had been shot through the chest, but any old redshirt on his crew was declared a corpse if he stopped breathing for a few seconds.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

McCoy is my favourite Doctor. Oh, you mean in Star Trek? Then I'd say Bashir is my favourite for his character development and wonderful friendships with Garak and O'Brien.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that they were raised in completely different universes, and one of them is over a decade older than the other, how are they "the same." Certainly not the same in knowledge, experience and skills. They are two entirely different people, who just happen to share the same name.

About the only thing we know about the alternate McCoy's skills as a doctor is that apparently he doesn't understand how to administer an injection.

"The Doctor" is a computer program. So to be fair, in evaluating the other doctors, you have to take into account all the store knowledge in whatever computers exists aboard their respective ship.

4. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Beverly Crusher gets my vote.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're two different actors playing the same ficticious character. Don't confuse the age of the actor with that of the character. In-universe, they are the same, just as Kirsty Alley and Robin Curtis are both Saavik.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Well, one looks a decade younger because the film takes place nearly a decade prior to TOS. :shrug:

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Best character: Leonard H. McCoy, MD, CMO of the USS Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C or D)
    Best medical doctor: Dr. Katherine Pulaski, CMO of the USS Enterprise-D

I'd rather have McCoy as a friend, but I'd much rather have Pulaski working to keep me alive.

EMH = a computer program, no heart
    Bashir = genetically engineered know-it-all, also no heart
    Crusher = who? Oh yeah, that chick with a crush on the Captain
    Flox = maybe... in a pinch

9. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Ensign Newbie

It was tough for me to choose, but my first thought was McCoy. So that's how I voted. Everyone else is ok, but if I had to see a doctor, I'd think I'd like to see him.

10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm just watching Enterprise for the first time (I'm halfway through season 1), and I would love to see Phlox and Bashir in the same room arguing over whether or not to cure a dying pre-warp civilization.

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

er, I don't think it would be much of a debate. Bashir would rightfully call out Phlox for being a quack who violates the Hippocratic Oath.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Do Denobulans have a Hippocratic Oath?

13. sonak

possibly not, but wouldn't Phlox have had to take something similar to serve on a Starfleet ship?

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was no Starfleet when Phlox came on board. Based on his actions, I doubt his race has a Hippocratic Oath. If they do, he has chosen to ignore it in favor of the natural course of evolution. To me, it would be similar to the debate we witnessed between O'Brien and Bashir when Bashir was trying to cure the Jem'Hadar, except Phlox actually has advanced knowledge when it comes to medicine and science so it would make for an interesting debate IMO. But I do need to watch the entire series before I can say for certain the doctor is a "quack" as you say. :)

15. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about a hypocritical oath?

16. sonak

indeed you are right about the Starfleet thing. For some reason I was thinking "no Federation, but still a Starfleet vessel," I don't know why.

It's too bad about Phlox and "Dear Doctor," actually, as I generally like the character except for that one episode, but unfortunately, that's a rather large exception.

17. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Doctor Phlox is not very popular then. The first time I saw him was when his face blew up!

18. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I voted for Beverly Crusher because I always liked her

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

beverly's face has the magical property of permanently appearing in soft focus

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it problematical having one of your best friends being your doctor? Does Kirk *really* want McCoy to know he's got another dose of the space-clap?