Who Doesn't Give a Frak about the Ratings?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Samuel T. Cogley, May 9, 2008.

?

Do you care about the ratings?

1. Yes, please update me on the ratings as quickly and as often as you can.

10.1%
  2. No, the ratings don't matter anymore.

82.8%
  3. Other

7.1%
  1. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly, thanks to the vBulletin upgrade, it is too late for me to add a poll to the wonderful ratings thread that already exists in this forum, so I am forced to start a new thread.

This thread isn't really for discussing the ratings, or listing the ratings, or providing skewered data in an effort to blatantly bash the show. That's what the other thread is for.

This is just to get a sense of who really even cares about the ratings at this point. Since they don't really matter anymore.

(One could make the argument that the ratings might matter as far as how they might affect "Caprica", but Sci Fi seems to be going ahead with the production anyway, so they don't seem to be worried.)

I'll be honest, I don't care. If the show got the greatest ratings in the universe, that would be nice. But it doesn't, nor did I ever really expect it to.

All I know is that the series will be completed exactly as RDM wants it to, and that's good enough for me.

So what say you?

2. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well if it gets a 0.7, they might pull it off the air and replace it with DS9 reruns like they did painkiller jane :rommie:

3. Samuel T. Cogley

Try as best you can to follow the instructions. They are fairly straightforward.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about? Sci-fi Channel showed EVERY last damn episode of that horrid show.

And I don't care about the ratings anymore because the show is already ending, so what difference does it make now?

5. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

A "no" vote here. (Duh.) I only peripherally pay attention to ratings even when it matters, like if the fate of a show hangs in the balance, so where BSG is a done deal, I'm even less interested.

On second thought, I suppose an analysis of the falling ratings would be interesting if it could lead to a spirited discussion about what causes viewers to turn away from certain TV shows--especially when it comes to a critically-acclaimed show--but instead, this forum gets an endless stream of charts and statistics that attempt to prove...something. And the cranky nature of certain posters around here pushes an argumentative agenda that doesn't do anybody any good.

So, um, yeah: No.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I do not care about the ratings. Heck, even when Caprica airs I won't worry about its ratings as I think its a go no matter what as sci-fi has nothing else.

7. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I have honestly never cared all that much about ratings. The only reason to be concerned is if a show I like is getting low rating and might be canceled, which pisses me off. At this point the ratings on BSG are pretty meaningless. The show will be over soon regardless of how good/bad the ratings are. I've enjoyed the show for 3+ seasons and continue to do so, the ratings have 0 effect on my enjoyment.

8. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

Couldn't care less about the ratings at this point, and never really did except for early on when it was a matter of whether or not the show would be renewed.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Can we close all threads having to do with ratings, including that one that was popped back up just in time for season 4 even though it was long dead before than?

Just askin'.

10. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Since ratings only reflect what the unwashed masses like, and since the unwashed masses mainly watch crap like "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars", I voted No.

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Why don't we wait and see how this poll turns out.

If nobody cares about the ratings, there's no reason to keep the other thread open.

But if people care, that's a different story.

Let's just wait and see who really cares. ;)

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, but when that thread was popped back up, it seemed like it was a plan of some guy in this forum to bring it back for no good reason. Enough is enough I say.

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Perish the thought!

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Who would ever do such a thing?

Oh, wait...

15. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

^^You know, Sam, sometimes I get the impression you like being sarcastic. :lol:

16. Samuel T. Cogley

I'm just a simple farmboy...

17. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't give a shit about ratings. Obviously. I'm not from this market. But I buy the DVDs. So whatever the show I happen to enjoy (immensely in the case of BSG), I'll end up buying the boxsets.

18. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted "Other", actually. While the ratings don't matter to me in terms of how much I enjoy the show and I think they don't actually matter to SciFi that much any more, I am usually interested in seeing how they develop.

Russ has been a great source for reliable information concerning the ratings. I do think the viewer loss is interesting since it's evident throughout the show's entire run. So far it's anyone's guess why this has been happening since nobody has been able to provide any kind of figures to back up any of the many possible explanations.

Again, it doesn't change the joy I get out of the show. And while I don't want updates on the ratings as fast and as often as possible, I do like to see the info somewhere along the road.

19. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

A big No vote here. Regardless of the ratings the show is done after this season. Regardless of the ratings the season will be completed. The second half of the season is already well into production. It's a done deal. "Caprica" is already going forward as a pilot, and it will have to stand on its own ratings-wise to get a series go-ahead. So the ratings could not possibly be any less relevant now.

None of my little rant is meant in any way to diminish Russ's efforts BTW to provide the ratings information. He provides informative data for those who are interested.

20. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ratings mean nothing now, thank the gods!

I think this show will make it to the end on the wings of DVD sales and sheer prestige. :)