Which part of the ship is this?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by asp7485, Jan 21, 2008.

1. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

No. You're the second person guestimating the size of the nacelles to be much larger than they really are. The Galaxy class had nacelles that were about 1000 feet long, that's the size of a very large skyscraper or the length of the entire original Enterprise. Galaxy was HUGE, just the Bussard collector would take up half of this picture.

The odd angle and perspective in this picture exaggerate the distance, but we don't have more than a couple hundred meters of length max in this picture if we use the men in the foreground and the far back as a comparison. That would be about right.

2. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing to remember is this Enterprise may not truley represent how the ship exactly looks on screen, would go back to the is this really how its built argument which I dont really want to bring in.

In terms of the engines if they are scaled correct to perspecitive it doesnt mean a bigger ship, just much larger nacelles

3. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Don't forget that the original E's nacelles were also at least 3-4 decks in diameter.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, I'm the only one so far who thinks it's a view of the secondary hull looking backwards. My guess is the camera is right about where the neck touches the S.H. The fins that most think are the intercoolers, I'm thinking are the placement points for the warp engine struts. Then again, I've been wrong before. Either way, I concur with the following sentiment that seems to be universally accepted by all who have seen this trailer:

:drool:

5. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

Do you think you can manage to post without insulting William Shatner?

It's not fashionable to attack the man, just immature and in poor taste.

:rolleyes:

\S/

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's to compare to Kirk as he get's older. As he gets wider so does the ship :p

7. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

You're not the only one.

I think it's clear that this is indeed the Engineering hull.

Otherwise, the scale would be off and even with the perspective being conjectured, the "fins" would be entirely too large.

Of course, we could both be wrong.

:klingon:

\S/

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I originally thought it was the secondary hull as well, but upon further consideration I am leaning toward a view of one of the warp nacelles. Those upswept stubs on either side do look rather like mounting points for the nacelle struts, but in the final bow shot, you can see the port nacelle strut already attached and possibly the starboard strut as well, though it’s harder to see through all the scaffolding on that side. Also, the length and shape of the hull beyond the stubs doesn’t seem like it would be consistent with the aft end of the secondary hull. Finally, the human figures walking around would be more of a match in scale to one of the nacelles than to the secondary hull judging by the other shots we see.

I do find the shape of those stubs curious. They would logically correspond to the intercoolers at the back of each nacelle but they don’t look anything like the original versions. They don’t look like stand-alone features but more like something else is meant to attach to them, which makes me think back to James Cawley’s comments about the ship having “wings,” and I’m not really sure how I feel about that.

9. Vektor

Oh, and another thing: Judging by the nacelle strut visible in the bow shot, these struts are angled upward at more than 45 degrees. I also believe the nacelles, in addition to being larger than the originals, are closer together, which would fit with a higher angle on the strut. The “stubs” in the image in question, if they were mounting points for the nacelle struts, would be at the wrong angle.

10. Tom

Tom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, i noticed this to, as well as a rounded tapering of effect on the rear that would not seem to jive well if there were the mounting points. (look at the very back of the right one before the picture switches)

11. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Commodore Commodore

Watch that trailer again and freeze it on the 'money shot' at the end. Those 'struts' (as you call) them are clearly visible on the left nacelle -- at least one is visible, and if the nacelles are symmetrical there will be another.

Maybe I'm seeing things, but it seems quite obvious to me that those things in the OP photo are the same objects seen on the nacelle (intercoolers maybe?) in the teaser's money shot.

12. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's exactly what I thought. It becomes more apparent if you download the money shot, reduce its contrast, and increase the brightness. The angle and shape look exactly right.
    What's more, the "scaffolding" in the upper right of the OP picture in question looks to actually be a shot of the crane seen in the money shot. That would also mean we're looking towards the back of the nacelle.

13. Vektor

I don't think we're looking toward the back of the nacelle, I think we're looking toward the front.

14. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Make me three ... although now that I think about it, it might be a Klingon Bird of Prey :wtf: :lol:

15. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

IT'S A JOKE !

Sheesh, do I have to draw a freaking diagram eveytime I tell a joke here ?

- W -
    * rolls eyes *

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We probably need some kind of special html code to identify humor for those who get confused.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

There's a pecking order of Trekkies now? How IDIC!

I say "Good luck to them!", doing a job many fans can only ever dream about, and getting paid for it.

18. Woulfe

Seems that way, I thought the "I like pie" was a dead giveaway, apperantly it wasn't....

- W -
    * Meh *

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

scully- gee mulder what do you think it is?

Mulder- Don't talk to me Scully, i'm still worked up about the enterprise being built on earth

20. Woulfe

Later....

[​IMG]

Scully : Is that what I think it is ?

Mulder : I suddenly feel verry dirty for looking at this.

- W -
    * I'm so verry verry verry sorry for this joke, really *