Which one is better, the Dominion war or the Xindi arc?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RegFan, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

Because Worf failed to kill Lursa and B'Etor when he had the chance during the Klingon Civil War. What a loser.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Dominion War

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Dominion War, hands down.

4. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Dominion War, easily. And I'm a huge Enterprise fan.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Although I did enjoy the season long Xindi arc, the Dominion War was far, far superior.

6. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Dominion War is the better of the two. The Xindi were a bad choice and will, IMO, always pale in comparison to the Romulan War (despite not really knowing anything about it other than the current book that covers part of it). I enjoyed the arc, it was done well but I do believe it would have been better had they gone with the Romulans as the enemy.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I will always think it was goofy of ENT to introduce the Xindi and the Suliban as major bad guys when we'd never even heard of them before.

8. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

sorry, but i believe the whole dominion-war thing was ill conceived and poorly executed, because the villains were so implausible. the leaders some sort of pinkish goo all day long floating in a lake, utterly unconcerned with the business of running a vast empire. that task fell to a kind of incompetent gay people, which employed dim-witted rhino soldiers for the dirty work, mumbling 'victory is life'. who were their scientists? engineers? who build their ships? who did the accounting?
    the battles, well. i doubt a 2,000 feet long ship can make pirouettes in empty space like a stunt pilot in our atmosphere, and i also doubt the battles could look like swarms of locusts meeting each other. you need a bit of safety clearance between ships of millions of tons of mass.

9. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes but did you think it was better than the Xindi War?

10. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And here we have the answer to that crucial question! :bolian: :p :rommie:

11. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think part of the problem with the Dominion was their inherent weakness of having a crippling attachment to Odo with a complete inability to cut their losses.

You know who saved the Federation? Section 31.

Oh and as for the original question by the OP I haven't really seen enough Enterprise in any sort of chronology to make a comparison-- but I got very sick of the "Temporal Cold War" very quickly when I was watching ENT week to week while it aired.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Founders weren't interested in ruling over the galaxy, that was never their motivation. They created the Dominion as a way of protecting themselves from the solids, that way they could be what they really are (a lake of goo) without fearing that they will be killed for it. That's what makes the Dominion so tragic in my mind, it is a tale about a group of people that were once persecuted who acted in order to protect themselves, but instead they ended up being the greatest persecutors of all.

As for who built the ships; the slave races the Dominion was made up of. One of the weaknesses of DS9 is that that aspect of the Dominion was brushed aside and the only Dominion races we saw were the Big Three, the Karema and those aliens in The Quickening. And the Cardassians too, I guess.

ETA: As for the original question, I preferred the Dominion War. I greatly enjoyed the Xindi arc, but the DW was much more epic and it had Garak.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scientists and engineers are the Votra, or the "incompetant gay people" as you put it. Accountants are the Karemma.

You got sick of the Temporal Cold War while watching Enterprise week to week? How is this possible? Out of Enterprise's 98 episodes, only 9 dealt with the Temporal Cold War, with an additional 3 featuring time travel not related to the Temporal Cold War. The Temporal Cold War very rarely visited on Enterprise, which is what made it so frustrating.

And for those interested, the nine TCW episodes are:
    Broken Bow (counts as two episodes)
    Cold Front
    Shockwave (two episodes)
    Future Tense
    The Expanse
    Storm Front (two episodes)

And the three non-TCW time travel episodes:
    Carpenter Street
    Azati Prime
    Zero Hour

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Was the Temporal Cold War actually resolved? I never watched past Season 2.

15. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

It was err... "resolved" at the start of season 4 in some forgetful fashion or another. Future guy was never revealed, then again I don't think TPTB had any idea who he would be either.

The worst arc of the show, IMO. I remember rolling my eyes at the mention of tTCW the moment it was mentioned when watching Broken Bow for the first time.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Temporal Cold War ended when Enterprise flew across the Nazi-occupied New York skyline in 1944 and shot some torpedoes at a magic time-tunnel being built by evil alien Nazis (seriously, don't ask) but no attempt was ever made to explain what it was about or why the various plots of the TCW episodes even happened. And Future Guy still remains a mystery. The TCW died as it lived, a nonsensical thing used purely as a plot-device so the writers could do whatever they wanted without having to think up of actual reasons for it.

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How are they non-TCW, when Daniels appeared in all of them?

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TCW only consists of that which invovled Future Guy and the Suliban, which none of those did.

Carpenter Street is about the Xindi travelling through time, and Daniels sends Archer to deal with them because the vanuted temporal law forbids him from doing so himself, for some reason.

Azati Prime is about the NX-1 gang discovering the Xindi weapon, then Daniels shows up, takes Archer to the 26th century to reveal the involvement of the Sphere Builders in the Xindi affair.

Zero Hour is a gray area, given the ending featured the Alien Nazis, which were TCW related. But the majority of the episode is about the NX-1 gang trying to destroy the Xindi weapon, then Daniels shows up, and shows Archer the birth of the Federation, so I consider it a non-TCW episode.

19. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

i'm not so sure about that. the actions of section 31 proved the point of the dominion to go to war with the federation in the first place, after all. correct is that the tattered female founder agreed to a truce in exchange for the cure, but the cure was bashir's work. at this point, the war was no longer winnable for the dominion anyway, with no reinforcements from their territory, and the cardassians in mutiny. what turned the war around was in my opinion sisko having a chat with the prophets, and them clogging their wormhole for dominion ships.

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I thought the Dominion were very well set up. You had the leaders (the Founders), the blunt instrument (Jem'Hadar), the negotiators/ diplomats (Vorta/Dosi), and beancounters (Karemma). I wish we had seen more of the Karemma and Dosi, though, they were kind of brushed aside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.