Where'd This Phase II Cutaway Come From...?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Praetor, Sep 13, 2013.

1. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Nov 5, 2008
    It'd be an odd asymmetrical shape if that truly was a rear view. I chalk it up to TOS not showing the perspective properly and say they're the same ship, only with golden glowing shields activated in "Mudd's Woman"

I guess it's quite possible the original artist intended the pointy end to be the front. Or that the glowing shield(?) was obscuring it's true shape. IIRC our first look at a Klingon battlecruiser was a similar golden blob smudge thing.
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Commodore Commodore

Feb 26, 2010
    In the TOS shot, the ship is angled slightly to the left so I don't think it is a direct rear view.
  3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Who is John Galt?
    It's interesting to note that the TOS-R version of this vessel in "Mudd's Women" looks nothing like either of these. It resembles more like a Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector with TOS-style warp nacelles.
  4. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aug 26, 2007
    To make things even Mudd-ier still, I think that TOS mudd ship was based on some of Jefferies early concepts for the Enterprise?
  5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Apr 18, 2004
    The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Hmm, I haven't heard that before, but would you be referring to this? I can see it, if so.

6. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jun 5, 2013
    Man, I'm glad thet didn't go with that design, it looks like a flying toilet seat.
  7. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mar 22, 2010
  8. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

Oct 17, 2005
    Walking distance from Starfleet HQ
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mar 15, 2001
    ^And your link has the exact same glitch. It's a problem with the BBS software -- it always leaves a final parenthesis outside the link.