Where should Stargate go now?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Methos, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Get rid of the Ancients as humans. It made things way to earth centric. Leave the gate builders as a long dead race of mystery.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The first fucking episode should have ended with them finding the bridge.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm ignoring all the layers that I don't see the potential in, and just zeroing in on the few elements than I like best. The Furlings, for instance. Why even bother with them.

You can't do a reboot if you try to keep too much. The key is to simplify as much as possible without tossing out everything.

4. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

#1 get rid of the entire idea of the Ancients and the Goa'uld. Reboot the whole series and forget the old continuity.

The Stargate movie isn't well known or particularly popular, there is absolutely no reason to stick with that stuff.

The premise is simple. The military finds a stargate of unknown alien origin. There is no need to go into the origins of it, at least not for a long, long time.

Our heroes go through every week to explore strange new worlds. Worlds with more variety than just reflections of ancient earth cultures (that's fine occasionally, but there was way too much of it).

More truly alien planets and beings to encounter, not just ancient humans and forehead aliens.

Ditch all of the stuff about humans getting starships. The humans should have the Stargate and the SMALL amounts of advanced tech they can occasionally get their hands on.

And keep the sense of fun. SGU lost too much of that. Perhaps SG1 was maybe a little TOO wacky at times. There is a balance to be found there.

There need to be at least a few likeable characters. That was another issue on SGU, I didn't hate it like some did, but it was trying to be way too grimdark and 99% of the characters were just unlikeable jerks.

Anyway that's my two cents.

5. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, a reboot that would maintain continuity would be a bit tricky, but doable, perhaps by finding a non-overlapping set of gate addresses that the System Lords didn't know about (but other Go'uld did), or perhaps by finding a supergate to a galaxy that wasn't trashed with Ori or Wraith.

The only reason I'm suggesting that they maintain continuity is that some fans get very hung up on such things, and they'll need all the viewers they can get.

How about finding a Stargate system in another galaxy that wasn't built by Ancients, perhaps with the premise that the Ancients must've copied from someone else?

Oddly, Amanda Tapping is doing better than Stargate in that regard with her Sanctuary series that takes place entirely on Earth. :lol:

I think the only mythological Earth figures who didn't end up being Stargate aliens were Paul Bunyon, Santa Claus, and the Jolly Green Giant, even though delivering toys around the world in one night would have to involve Asgard stealth and beaming technology.

It sounds like we're poking at a Stargate Atlantis without the Ancients or the Wraith or the whole "cut off from home" angle, just explorers out exploring and encountering a variety of threats.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Furlings were mentioned a mere three times in ten years, it's amazing how much interest there is in them. But in the end only a reboot will work or a minor reboot set years in the future. Strangely enough Stargate Infinity's concept might be one of the better ways to go.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

SGU did eventually find it's own voice, but unfortunately it was too late. It had already been cancelled.

I actually liked that development. Even before that was revealed, I thought it would have been nice if they discovered that the stargates were built by humans from Atlantis.

8. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I still think they should retcon Continuum to allow for the Third Reich to have experimented with the Gate and set up an off-world colony that not only survived, but thrived. Other humans are the worst monsters.

9. Temis the Vorta

Hah! Now we're talking, let's have the Nazis be the villains.

Ever better, Nazi Goa'ulds. They team up to conquer the universe!

The series would have that wonderful Indiana Jones retro feel to it.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Reboot the whole thing from scratch, even the events of the movie. Either do a loose remake of the movie as a two-hour pilot, or completely ignore it and go in an entirely different direction. My ideal "feel" for the show would be somewhere between the inane goofiness of SG-1 and the relentless moodiness of SGU.

11. Temis the Vorta

So...DS9ish?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Since this is a plot point that has been constantly debated throughout the entire run of the Stargate franchise, here's something I would change:

Make the Stargate public knowledge from the very beginning, and actually allow the world to react to the news instead of keeping it a secret the whole time.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Where should Stargate go now?

Judging from what I've read upthread, the answer is: "wherever it's gone to, it should stay there." :p

14. gturner

gturner Admiral

Thinking about the ramifications of that makes my head hurt. There are a ton of plots that Stargate couldn't do, from huge and dramatic (like whole nation states wanting to up and move to other worlds, and then getting into conflicts) to alien fast food franchise rights.

I forget the name of the two episodes with the Ashen (one was a year number), but those had a future where people were aware of the gate.

15. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So do you have any better ideas?? ;)

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Gaith really isn't an "idea" guy so much as a "trash everyone else's idea" guy. ;)

17. Temis the Vorta

That's the kind of thinking I'd want to see from the people I hire to reboot it - don't get hung up on preconceived notions about how a show must be this way or that way. Be daring or don't bother. Maybe that's not the right approach but someone needs to give it a good think-through before coming to that conclusion.

Heh. Yeah.

18. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

I once read that there were Stargate novels written after the movie but before the TV series. While I never read them, I heard that their premise was that the planet the series calls Abydos had other settlements that our heroes contacted as well as some of Ra's human servants who still wanted to stay in power.

Something like that could work, either as a full reboot or a series where the cast is a team sent to a world that has just overthrown its Jaffa after they clung to loyalty to the Go'aulds for several years after everyone else.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Start a new show with all the actors being played by pine trees. :p

20. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The answer is obvious: a DARKER, GRITTIER, REIMAGINED REBOOT.

/sarcasm