what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, May 6, 2012.

1. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

forgot, Storm is actually on the current Avengers roster as well lol

damnit, don't know why i forgot that snippet lol

The current roster consists of:

Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    Maria Hill
    Iron Man (Tony Stark)
    Protector (Noh-Varr)
    Quake (Daisy Johnson)
    Red Hulk (General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross)
    Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
    Thor
    Vision (Victor Shade)
    Storm (Ororo Munroe)

M

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Beast is allowed but no Wolverine? They'll allow criminals like Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, etc, but no Spider-Man? (And I thought it was Bendis' idea, not Quesada's)

To me, the Avengers is whoever the writer's say are in it. It's a team that has never been the same since day two. Literally. To say "THESE" are the real Avengers while "THESE" people aren't is kind of ridiculous. It's a team that's always evolving and always will.

Besides. It's Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Hulk and Ant-Man. Anything more than THAT is wrong. :p

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The MCU is going to be very different than any of the various comic continuities. The Avengers in the MCU can be whatever it wants to be and contain whoever it wants and if Marvel ever gets the rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men back you can bet your ass they'd be in the Avengers.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. You can say what you want about Bendis and Quesada (Lord knows I have) but the truth of the matter is that they took a mid-range selling single book and turned it into Marvel's best-selling franchise, selling more than even Spider-Man and X-Men. If that's what having your "head up your ass" means, then that phrase has a very different definition then I would have guessed.

And to be honest, I can take or leave having Wolverine on the team, but I wanted Spider-Man to become an Avenger for decades before it finally happened.

Also, from my personal perspective, if Spidey and Wolvie hadn't become Avengers, I probably wouldn't be reading comics today. I stopped reading comics in the early 90s, and only came back for Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run. While in my LCS looking for the newest issue of Astonishing, I noticed New Avengers #1 with Spidey and Wolvie on the cover and was intrigued enough to buy it. From there, it didn't take much to get me back into the greater MU. If I had picked it up and just saw the same old line-up (see above) being served tea by Jarvis at the mansion while waiting for the UN to call, I would have put the book back unread. Been there, done that.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think its a matter of personality that makes Wolverine and Spider-Man "wrong" as Avengers. Both are loner types, which runs counter to the image of the Avengers as the world's most preeminent and public superteam. Of course they are two of Marvel's most popular characters, so from a business sense its logical to place them in the Avengers.

6. Turtletrekker

You say that they are both loners, and yet Wolverine has been an X-Man since 1975, and Spider-Man was the most "teamed-up" hero Marvel had even before joining The Avengers. He even had a team-up book that lasted 150 issues and has a new team-up book now. I think that being an Avenger was a logical next step for Spidey as he already knows and has worked well with just about every hero Marvel has.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Luke Cage and Danny Rand met, and have been together fighting crime for the last 35 years.

Spider-Man has met a thousand other heroes but can't make a meaningful connection like that no matter how hard he tries... If he was a bloke chasing girls and failing constantly that successfully at every turn, you'd be asking if he's gay.

What the Avengers have that a random hook up doesn't is a bed and four square meals a day.

Peter is a slut.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Like I said it's about personality. Spidey being a hardluck hero who can't catch a break and Logan being a borderline psycho/misanthrope.

Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character, of course he's going to team up a lot. That doesn't make him the right fit for the Avengers.

Wolverine works as an X-Men because they are outcasts and mistrusted. But even among misfits he is a misfit who doesn't fit in. Spidey would actually fit as an X-men if it wasn't for that pesky "mutant" requirement. ;)

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Maybe the Avengers make him wheat cakes in the morning. He couldn't even get MJ to do that for him. ;)

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who runs the kitchen at Avengers mansion?

Wikipedia's last mention of the Avengers is Hercules grabbing him to be the mascot/heart of his new team of Avengers to... is that why Osborn lost?

Wikipedia says Osborn asked if Edwin wanted in on the dark Avengers.

(The Stones on this guy!!!)

He didn't have a counterfigurehead for Edwin Jarvis which was his underlying failing grace?

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

This is well-articulated and rings quite true. All of Marvel's groups have their own "personalities". FF is a family. X-Men are a semi-secret group of misunderstood mutants trying to make their way in a world they never made (sorry, Howard) (and Wolvie was always on the fringes of the group, despite his popularity and the consequent popular misconception of him as the main character within the group). The Avengers have pretty much always been a government-sanctioned band of elite superheroes. Best of the best. A frequently wanted-for-questioning misunderstood teenage vigilante does not fit that mold.

The FF is cosmic fantasy. X-Men is war and survival. Avengers is epic. Spidey is a street-level teenage NY wise-ass loser whose enemies are cripples, old men and the insane.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wait... Spider-Man is like Batman?

;)

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-man (rather than alternative versions like Ultimate Spider-man) hasn't been a teenager in the comics since 1969? 1970?

14. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well he was still in college in '86 when I quit comics.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last time I read Spidey he was a teacher.

16. Turtletrekker

Exactly. Peter Parker is a constantly evolving, changing, growing character, as all good characters should be. Peter Parker in his youth was a loner due his lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem. But the Peter Parker who has been Spider-Man for almost 15 years? Who has met and fought gods and travelled to the ends of space and seen and done the things that few other humans ever have (Including marryi-- *ahem* --excuse me-- dating a super-model)? Self-confidence and self esteem are NOT issues that this man should have anymore.

To say that he should *never* be an Avenger is to deny the growth of the character. It's like saying that Peter Parker should *always* be a photographer. Spider-Man deserves to be an Avenger as much as any other character. It's a logical progression for his character. Especially when people from the future keep saying that he will be remembered as the greatest hero of all (Most recently by Cable in X-Sanction).

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Logan being borderline psycho is enough to keep him out of the Avengers for you.

Yet Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and all are well-adjusted enough to stick around? Yeah, because the Hulk is SO much more predictable and easy to control than Logan.

"No more mutants" is a bit more than borderline psycho as well, if you ask me.

It's funny to see the hypocritical justifications for keeping Spider-Man and Wolverine away from the team. Spider-Man, who you can trust more than anybody to do the right thing, will put his everything into doing what's right, and will more times than not succeed, yet he doesn't belong? Crazy.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Let's not argue about The Avengers/Wolverine/Spider-Man as if these were real people. If they were, then all of your arguments are valid and I agree with them. But since they are characters in comic books, it makes sense that they would want to have their own adventures.

Just because the setting for Marvel stories is the real world and real cities (instead of fake analouges like Metropolis/Gotham) doesn't mean that the characters have to behave in realistic ways.

Anyway, as proof, I point to Hugh Jackman's cameo in First Class. He doesn't want to play nice with the rest of the team.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That was before he became a team player.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

But he may be playing nice with the rest of the team in First Class 2.