What would you say if....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Karl Shoottheglass, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hard to say without more info, perhaps you egregiously blocked her, I don't know.

Typically though I would say the underground is not the place to get defensive of your personal space, they are crowded places cramming in as many passengers as they can, if you can't abide having people close to you, you should probably find an alternate method of travel.

But it is unclear if that was actually the problem or not.

2. Karl Shoottheglass

Karl Shoottheglass Commodore Commodore

A similar moment also happened on a Metro escalator many years back. Escalator culture in the Washington is basically this: stand to the right, walk to the left, do your best not to brush anybody. Yet even when you don't, one similarly bizarre man angrily tells you ''I'm standing here.'' Indeed. So I replied, ''And I'm walking up.'' SOP. These two individuals were clearly miffed, but let's reiterate. There was no physical contact in any case. Everybody was three feet apart. Nobody was blocked. They were stationary. I was moving. All previously written, so I'll leave it there. We're simply trying to get to work or home. (My major peeve is excessive noise, and believe me it's everywhere, especially on the Metro.) The point is that even for people who wait for other people to get off elevators and such, they're being chastised simply for walking by somebody else two or more feet away. People are angry. But if they get angry at this, imagine the true problems that could really set them off.

Again, the only question is, what can you tell them, seriously or sarcastically. Had I brushed them, it would have been ''I'm sorry.'' My reply this week to the woman was actually three parts, not all at once, but roughly over 30 seconds. In the end, in our own minds, no doubt we're both defending our honor. Assuming I actually have any...

3. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, here we stand on the left and walk on the right.

Except the metro cops who stand two abreast with their legs apart preventing anyone from walking up or down.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Subway stations are apparently breeding grounds for societal gray areas.

5. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a dystopian free for all down there!

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

At least San Francisco's subway stations had musicians playing for tips.

7. Ríu ríu chíu

Ríu ríu chíu Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    ^ New York has that as well.

And some of them are quite good, actually...I've been on trains where a mariachi band suddenly shows up and pretty soon the whole train is clapping.

8. ainmneacha_Nollag

ainmneacha_Nollag Living the Irish dream. Admiral

I'll think you'll find that in most sub way systems across the globe. On the London Underground they have little designated areas for buskers so then it's not a free-for-all.