What would you say if....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Foxhot, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

............you were using your daily subway fare machine, which is the tenth and last in a row, and a woman getting ready to leave three feet away from the ninth and tenth machines asks you ''Can I move first?'' Aren't IQ levels at public transportation spots wonderful?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure I understand the problem, but I don't use a subway. Are you in fact preventing her movements?

^(oo)^

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about the turnstyle where you actually put the ticket in and the things open up? If the lady is in the 9th one, and you are in the last, why not she just stick with the one she was in?

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Was she asking if she should put the ticket into the machine before going through the turnstile? Did you just roll your eyes and not answer?

5. Foxhot

The turnstiles were actually thirty feet behind us. We were at the fare ticket machines. I was about two feet from her, and she was three feet from the last two machines. She'd already gotten her tickets and was about to move away. I guess she felt possessive about her private space, even when it's in a public one. Our particular subway has many quality issues, which could have been a factor in her annoyance. But my sin was moving diagonally forward two feet away from her to buy my ticket. With the few machines that actually work...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say "What the f---? We don't have subways in Denver?" Aside from that, and probably because of that, I don't really understand the question. Is this a case of just stepping back because someone wants to go through, or is this person trying to get a jump in line on your or something?

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Then it sounds like she thinks you cut her off when she was about to take a step. You're lucky you weren't a victim of walk rage.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe she was afraid of you and wanted to make sure she could get clear of you before you made a move.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

What is this "public transportation" of which you speak?

10. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Admiral

What would you say if....

I wouldn't. :p

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Must be some sort of new gimmick. :p

12. Foxhot

The transportation in question is the Washington Metro, which their ads refer to as ''the finest ride in the nation.'':rommie:

My question to you all is how would you answer such a bizarre question. This Metro system has lots wrong with it, passenger-wise and worker-wise, reliability-wise, quality-wise. But when just buying a ticket to get in is the issue, is there any hope for rational society?

I'm more amused than angered by this incident. It's obviously a petty triviality. I answered her: ''Certainly. But this is a public machine, and neither of us is in each other's way, so what's stopping you?'' But if you were asked that question, what would you all tell her? TNZ-style, or otherwise?

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ What's the big deal about the Metro? I've been to DC, ridden the Metro many times, never had any problems with it. :shrug:

14. Foxhot

During rush hour, I'd guess. The horror list is incredibly long. Service before 2004 was generally outstanding. Hopefully it will improve as promised, but we're told it may take four solid years of delays and non-rush hour track work.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You want to talk rush hour, just try the Lexington Avenue lines (the 4, 5 and 6) in NYC. :ouch:

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I still don't understand the problem/question.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Me neither. Based no the story being told, it sounds like foxhot was in someone's way. She asked foxhot to get out of the way. And then foxhot started a thread about it.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a fascinating dilemma.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As I understand the scenario, what would I have said was "of course." And then I would have stopped speaking. If necessary, I would have moved a reasonable distance to accommodate her.

It's unlikely I would have said this.

:devil:

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgERvAcay7g[/yt]