What was your frist star trek experience

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tcsfan, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It was my dad who introduced me to Trek, too. It was a big deal if he let me stay up past my bedtime to watch STAR TREK . . . ..

2. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Original series fan. First run. "The Immunity Syndrome" if i recall correctly. Stuck with it ever since.

3. SecretlyMrsKirk

SecretlyMrsKirk Lieutenant Red Shirt

One of my earliest memories of Star Trek is of me as a five/six/seven year old sitting on the floor of the living room and asking my dad if the woman on screen was Whoopi Goldberg. I remember he was quite surprised that I knew who she was XD My earliest memory of the original series is of The City On The Edge of Forever. Somebody asks about Spock's ears and Kirk makes the joke about getting his head stuck in a rice-picker. I remember turning around and asking my dad why they didn't just say that he was an alien.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am also one of the older ones here. I cannot honestly remember which episode I first watched, but 'Arena' is certainly the one that hooked me.

5. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though I must certainly have seen and been aware of Star Trek beforehand the first thing that always comes to mind is a kids TV show that promoted the amazing new Star Trek series from America with a clip from The Naked Now (to tie in with the rental videos? Just because Trek was popular in general?) of the big rock destroying the science vessel. It WAS AWESOME.

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first experience actually wasn't television Trek or movie Trek. One of my earliest memories as a child was reading one of the old Star Trek comic annuals. Man I used to love that book! Sadly, at some point, either I, or more likely my mother, threw it out.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

My mom and aunt took my Gramps to TVH for his birthday. They let me tag along.

I was five and so excited to get to go see a movie. And, yeah, it was awesome.

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I had been exposed to some TOS repeats before TWoK came out in theatres. But it wasn't until TNG arrived that I was hooked.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I saw Star Trek in syndication sometime in the mid-70's. This kid I went to school with named Trevor was really into it. He always brought stuff from the show for show and tell.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My earliest memory is sometime in the early 70s, watching a Trek rerun of Devil in the Dark. I just remember these guys running around cave, shooting at a big blob.

11. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

No idea. I was probably exposed very young by my dad. I don't remember when I first saw any of TOS or TNG, I always remember knowing who they were. I do remember having a VHS copy of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home when I was a kid, so I think that was likely one of the earliest things I saw, and it was definitely the most rewatched when I was younger. I do vaguely remember seeing my first DS9 (the one with Q) when I was a kid at my grandfather's house.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I was born in 1967 and my parents watched it. I grew up watching it in syndication from a very early age so I can't remember even starting to watch it.

13. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh, I couldn't begin to tell you the first episode I ever saw because it was about 40 years ago when I first discovered Star Trek. So obviously I'm talking about TOS because the Trek movies and other series weren't even a twinkle in Roddenberry's eye at that time.

My primary memory is watching the show every night in syndication, on a UHF station on little TV in my parents' bedroom. I would lie on my parents bed and just watch and go through all these intense emotions as the stories unfolded. Of course I was only eight or nine back then, but compared to everything else that was on TV in the early 70s, Star Trek was so unique and different and I just loved it.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I watched TOS in repeats with my older brother. I must have been kindergarten age when I first watched Trek because in first grade I was already such a fan that I wanted to go as Spock to the school carnival. My mother made some Vulcan ears for me out of cardboard.
    Sadly, none of my classmates recognised the costume and, what's worse, when I told them that I was Mr. Spock from the Enterprise they just gave me blank stares. Apparently, they had all lied about how often they watched TV from the West (this was in the GDR). I remember being quite astonished by the fact that there were people who didn't know what Star Trek was. :lol:
    A few years later, TNG premiered here and I watched all Trek shows in their first run here.
    My mother watched what I assume was the original run of TOS here when she was pregnant with my older brother, so in a way, Star Trek has been with us for a long time.

15. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

what was your frist star trek experience......I'm assuming that you meant first, not frist...haha...just giving you a hard time. My first was some movie called Star Trek The Motion Picture. Even at my tender age way back when, I found IIlea oddly attractive considering she was bald. :)

16. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

My first Star Trek experience was in the early 70s, but I hated it.

I remember my dad watching both TOS and the Planet of the Apes when I was a kid. I thought both shows were weird, boring and creepy. Especially after Star Wars came out, Trek's sfx looked cheap and there was very little action. Turn on Six Million Dollar Man!

In 1979, I went to see ST:TMP with my family and loved the sfx, but the movie was just as weird and boring as the TV show. When we walked out of the theater, I asked my dad, "What was that cloud thing they went into?" He paused and said, "I'm not really sure."

I was blown away by STII:TWOK! Loved it! A local TV station showed "Space Seed" as the prequel to TWOK. I thought it was just OK, but I continued to see each movie as they came out and really liked them. I still wasn't a big fan of the TV show, but my friend and I would watch Star Trek at midnight in college to make fun of the acting and sfx. I remember watching the premiere of TNG (Encounter At Farpoint) and thought it was as weird and boring as TOS.

As the series went on and as I got older, I really started to get into Star Trek. The stories were insightful with great characters, social commentary and philosophy. This was grown-up SF and I was now getting what it was really all about! I became a real fan in 1989. Since then, I've seen every episode of each series, read nearly 300 novels and been to quite a few conventions.

17. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Growing up my mom was a big TNG fan so I always kind of knew the characters even though I don't remember actually watching any episodes. So one day I was really bored and decided to check out some episodes my mom had on VHS and was hooked.

18. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

I don't remember how old I was but it was the early 70's and catching reruns of Star Trek was always a momentous occasion. I DO remember sitting too close to the TV, so I couldn't have been THAT old :D

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember in first grade, we once had a play leader from a higher grade who organized us into playing Star Trek. I got to be Mr. Spock, but other than recognizing what they looked like, and that Spock had the pointed ears, and there was a big space ship, I didn't really know anything about it. I actually think most of the playing consisted of just running around the yard.

20. Newton

Newton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure my first exposure to Trek was watching Skin of Evil on TV in the early nineties, when I was about 9. Luckily my local video store had all the tapes and my parents were willing to rent them for me.