What percentage of the characters should be Human?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Tenacity, Aug 20, 2016.

?

What percentage of the characters should be Human?

1. 1 in 6

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 2 in 6

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. 3 in 6

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 4 in6

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 5 in 6

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 6 in 6

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. No damned Humans on my ship!

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Tenacity

Tenacity Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In a hypothetical cast of half a dozen (just using that number) main characters, how many should be Humans?

I would have two Humans, two "near Humans," one who is humanoid but has a obviously different cultural mind set, and one that is as profoundly different as possible and still be able to be a part of the mix of characters.

What do I mean by "near Human?" Kira from DS9 would be a example, alien but her culture isn't really that separate from a Human one. She doesn't have any magical powers, and her appearance (other than her nose ridges) is Human.

Different cultural mind set would be Spock, Phlox, or Worf. While there are some similarities to Human cultures, they come from overtly different societies and it doesn't take long to realize that. There is no effort on their part to assimilate to a Human norm.

Profoundly different would be someone unlike anyone who has ever been a part of one of the previous main casts, seriously the odd man out. Perhaps someone who views Human cultural values with a degree of amusement and indulgence, and holds their own non-Human values not so much as equal, but superior. A near Picard level of cultural arrogance.They also might have some magical abilities that impact their outlook

This ratio of characters would carry over to the secondary/tertiary characters on the ship.

How would you do it?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No hybrids and a 50/50 split of humans and aliens.

3. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

No hybrids at all, I'm sick of 'half human', it leads us down a very predictable path.

Probably max three alien regulars, with a good smattering of alien recurring cast. But I'd be open to more/less if the characters are strong.

Shalashaska likes this.
  4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It depends. If they could make something truly alien--and still compelling---one or two would be okay. But I'd I don't want anything that's human except noses or ears or spots or foreheads. If that's the way they want to go, just leave them human.

And didn't they say there's going to be a Klingon? I'm so sick of Klingons. Three of the series have already had a Klingon main character (not to mention appearing in every other film).

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

All of them.

6. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

No more *new* hybrid humans unless they are specifically explained as a result of genetic manipulation (which is fine by me). I know why we all look alike from that episode of TNG, but seriously, after billions of years of evolution on separate planets that biological Star Trek trick just ain't happening. I REALLY don't want to see more hybrid humans again either. Mommy Human and Daddy Vulcan have had to twist some very serious DNA parts to get that shit to work.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I'll say 4 in 6. We already know there's one Klingon, throw in another alien of a new species and the rest will be human.

8. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

so damned clichéd. enterprise showed us the worst of the mixed races. tng showed us the best.

personally it HAS to be as human as possibly. don't forget cannon wise, this timeperiod was profoundly pro-human

9. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

About two thirds seems like the right balance.

10. Karp666

Karp666 Lieutenant Red Shirt

DS9 showed us the best with Kira, Odo, Quark, Worf, Garak and Dukat.

Zonker and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  11. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Garak was way over played. the supposedly dangerous super spy killer turned, metro sexual pant salesman.

the ONLY alien in TOS was HALF HUMAN.

12. locutus101

Except that he did kill a few people on screen.

13. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Commander Red Shirt

100% human

14. locutus101

That's speciest and not very star trekky.

TonyaLang_SB118 likes this.
  15. TonyaLang_SB118

TonyaLang_SB118 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey guys, don't forget the coolest of them all: androids and holograms!
    I think both the Doctor and Data made a great addition to the shows being artificial beings. So much plot can be explored on them.
    Also, artificial beings (if you could call them that) like Vorta or Jem'Hadar were interesting, but I'm especially a fan of the other two.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

4 in 6. It'd actually make the alien characters stand out more and allow a greater range of diversity among the Humans, IMO.

17. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always disliked the amount of humans in each cast.

Human lead, everyone else can be alien for all I care.

18. -Brett-

-Brett- Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One, maybe two aliens in the main cast. No more. For this show to have a snowballs chance in hell, it needs to appeal to more than just the hardcore Trekkies. Last I heard, nearly 100% of the general audience is human.

19. Tenacity

Tenacity Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A big part of what I was asking in the OP concern the culture of the people in the main cast, their societal outlook. While a hologram, the EMH was a hologram of a Human, everything about him was Human, only his views on holograph rights set him apart.

Data was built in the image of Dr. Soong, a Human. While a unique individual Data didn't bring a separate culture or ideology to the show.

20. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

Non-Human Main Characters

TOS -- Spock

TNG -- Data, Worf

DS9 -- Quark, Kira, Odo, Dax, Worf

VOY -- Seven, Neelix, Torres, Tuvok, Kes, Doctor

For DSC, less is probably more....

Vger23 likes this.