What is someone wants to join the Borg collective?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Captain Captain

How do you think the Borg would react if a shuttle with 1 person onboard, or a ship with hundreds of people would seek out the Borg and tell them, ”we want to be assimilated”. I guess it would be a nice change on pace for the Borg, I assume most don't want to be assimilated.

UnknownSample likes this.
  2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Captain Captain

If the Borge needs people they will assimilate them, otherwise they ignore the fools who would join them

Nyotarules likes this.
  3. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Captain Captain

Yeah it would really depend on whether that person is perceived as valuable to the Collective. You'd have to have something to offer them.

4. Jedman67

Jedman67 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're stupid enough to want to join the Borg, then it would lower the collective's average IQ and they wouldn't want that.
    They'd probably offer to help you assimilate a phaser blast

Nyotarules and 1001001 like this.
  5. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

This actually happened in the Voyager re-launch book The Unworthy. A different scenario from what the OP suggested but there was a group that sort of...worshipped the Borg.

6. Spot261

Spot261 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't imagine the borg being fussy or judgemental. They'd simply (in my world) take the offer at face value, low investment drone gathering.

Then again, it's a possibility that such an approach may have been used in the past as a trojan horse tactic, introducing rogue software, viral programs, whatever, making them wary of gift horses.

grendelsbayne and Six of Twelve like this.
  7. Hutchy01

Hutchy01 Commander Red Shirt

Insane.

8. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Captain Captain

You know what they say. Never look a Hugh in the optical implant.

Jedman67 likes this.
  9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ or an Icheb.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone foolish enough to want to become a Borg would most likely never actually bring anything valuable to the collective. So the Borg would simply ignore or kill them.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

If they get assimilated they would become the lowliest of drones with only menial tasks and possibly just a spare parts collection for them?

12. Spot261

charity borg?

13. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Such an idiot would experience the meaning of the phrase 'Be careful what you wish for, cos you might get it'

14. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Commander Red Shirt

We have to remember that all ST shows are told from the perspective of the Federation and are filtered through that lens. So, just because the Federation hasn't heard of this happening and because they can't imagine anyone wanting to do such a thing doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen. Not everyone in the galaxy thinks like humans or values the same things. Some aliens are...well, alien...in how they think and what they do.

While I can't imagine an entire alien species voluntarily joining the Collective en masse, I can see random individuals and small groups wanting to join. It would likely be lonely people who don't think they fit in or belong anywhere and are tired of going it alone. Perhaps the harmony, the order, and the unity of purpose attracts them - a place where they can finally be accepted and belong and be a part of something bigger than themselves

Phoenix219 likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being rejected by the Borg. You would think that would be a hit to the ole self-esteem! :lol:

Phoenix219, 1001001 and Balok's Decoy like this.
  16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can imagine some people wanting to join the Borg. Just like people flock to strong authority figures to take the stressful burden of choice and uncertainty away from them. Better depression cure than SSRIs.

If the Borg saw usefulness in the drone they'd welcome a chance to recruit with no resource cost.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  17. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Fleet Captain Captain

In some regards they are judgemental. They have to judge if a species is worth assimilation. If someone approached the collective and asked to be assimilated they consider if that person will add to their "perfection".

18. Spot261

Tell you what, I'm going to try it. I've got an old CB radio somewhere I can use to transmit messages requesting assimilation. If I stop posting over the next few days you'll know what happened :)

19. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Fleet Captain Captain

It will probably be more than a couple of days for that signal to reach the Delta Quadrant

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Our great, great great grand children will be assimilated instead,,,oh joy!