What if Tasha had survived?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Bry_Sinclair, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that Tasha Yar isn't high on many lists of fan favourite characters, due to some cringy lines and wooden acting--but then again there was a lot of that in S1--however I always kinda liked her, plus it was good to see a woman heading up Security on the Federation flagship.

What if "Skin of Evil" had gone a little differently and she hadn't been killed off? Denise Crosby would've probably gotten more comfortable in the role, she and the writers would understand the character better and hopefully wouldn't give her any more "don't do drugs" speeches, whilst also building on bits and pieces they liked (I remember Crosby saying that she liked the little moment between her and Worf at the start of the episode, and if they'd written more scenes like that she would've stayed) as well as developing relationships among the characters.

It would also have kept a female character in a strong post on the Bridge, as well as on away teams and delving into her own traumatic past, all of which would have worked out pretty well for her.

This of course leads to uproars from the Worf fans about how he'd be neglected and left to waste away doing nothing. However, as they went into S2 Geordi was moved from the conn to Engineering which gave him far more to do. Worf would then have been the logical choice to sit next to Data, leaving Wesley to sit at a science console whenever he was permitted onto the Bridge (which is another 'win' as he wouldn't be right in your face).

Looking back at Worf's character post-SoE, most of the stories that focus on him are to do with his being Klingon rather than Security Chief, all of which could have been done with Yar still on the ship. There was also an instance in S1 when Yar wanted more muscle on a mission and so asked for Worf to join them, which again could have been continued throughout the rest of TNG when needed.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked Tasha. I think they would have learned how to write her in season 3 just like all the other characters. And I don't think they would have left Worf to do nothing, he just would have had a different post.

And if Tasha didn't go it might have been Troi who was killed off.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Indeed, I think the OP has effectively summed up what would have been different. They could have (and probably would have) still pursued all the same angles with Worf, while keeping Yar.

It seems like it would have rendered Wesley even more unnecessary, and made an eventual move to DS9 for Worf even more interesting, as he most likely would have been less fully utilized beforehand.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Did Worf actually do anything as security chief? The only times he acted in that capacity in TNG he just got kicked around.

5. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

"Hailing frequencies Open, sir..."

Ugh. Back to that numbing grind for however many more weeks, months or years.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Had Worf been conceived as a major character from the get-go, the most likely course would have been to split the security duties into two separate jobs between him and Tasha. It doesn't necessarily follow that the person who handles the ship's weapons and communications would also be in charge of internal and away team security....these would be different skill sets.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Or viceversa, they may not want to bring a Klingon on that first contact mission.

I think Yar would have ended up like Kira (a TNG version) but not as religious and all about starfleet.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I didn't say who would get what job. I think Worf would be more exciting/interesting on away missions, but then Crosby would have had the same problem....

9. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Knowing the executive belief that tinkering is good: another "drugs are bad"speech.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Had Yar lived and remained Security Chief, just as on DS9, Worf could have easily just been the Tactical Officer\Klingon Liaison. Those two positions, especially after Tasha died, were sort of blurred, but they really were two distinct functions: security chief essentially being the "top cop" aboard the Enterprise, and Tactical officer being responsible for ship weapons and shields, and making tactical\battle recommendations.

Now, here is a thought: what if they stuck with the original plan and Crosby was cast as Troi, and Sirtis was cast as Yar? Would Crosby still have left? Would Sirtis been more interesting?

Edit: seeing as today is International Talk like a Pirate Day, henceforth for the rest of the day, let's refer to Tasha as YARRRRRR!! :)

11. Bry_Sinclair

I always think it is a bit short-sighted to have one person fill two key roles--which could have put them at odds. Look at "The Most Toys", the situation on the planet needed their best security officer, whilst the ship needed its best weapons officer. Where possible in my fanfic I always split the duties.

I get the feeling if the character had remained Macha Hernandez then she would still have been onboard (kinda hard to picture Marina in the role, given how Troi was the polar opposite). I would have thought Denise would have been more fed up in the Troi role and opted to leave as she did. Though I wonder who would've taken the third seat?

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:lol:

12. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

While I think she would have made an interesting character, I don't think there was enough room for that many characters. If she would have stayed, I think her character would still have been shorted any good stories. I doubt they would have had fewer Wesley episodes those first couple of seasons regardless if she left or stayed.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Troi was in danger of going in S1, there are three episodes in a row where she doesn't make an appearance, so had Yar stayed they might've killed off Troi or bumped her down to just a recurring character.

Wesley should've left with his mother, that would've saved us from all the awful child-genius moments.

14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could worked out fine. I would have liked to see it.

At least on paper, I found the initial story and background of Yar more interesting than Crusher or Troi or Riker or LaForge.

That first season, lotta things needed to be worked out. I liked Yar, more than Riker that first year, more than some others. The actors and characters got their chance to improve, I think Yar would have been fine later on.

Worf and Yar would work fine, could have been a great team. As mentioned, the hands-on security combat guy isn't the same as the tactical guy at the weapon's station. There are two roles for them, no problem.

Also correct, all the Worf stories were about his Klingon and family stuff, rarely about his security chief duties. No conflict with Yar.

And sure it would have been possible to handle an extra character in the series. One look at DS9 shows how many MANY characters can be featured in one series AND each given substantial roles, too.

I would have liked to see Yar continue.
    And yet... I don't much care for her later artificial re-appearances in whatever guise. Too stuntcast-y and ingratiating and distracting, I suppose.

15. Praetor

I could easily see Crosby/Troi bailing sooner, with Sirtis/Yar hanging around. I think the original intention was to have Data in the third chair, so perhaps they'd have moved him? Then Worf could take Data's seat and dear Wesley would still have a place to go. :)

I'll agree with those who speculated dividing the tactical/security duties would have been logical. I could see Worf being Yar's chief security officer, and the two switching off tactical vs. security depending on the situation.

I was also thinking, what would "Best of Both Worlds" have been like? Would Shelby have been necessary, or would it have been Yar filling in her role, causing tension between herself and Riker?

16. Bry_Sinclair

That's an interesting thought. I'd imagine we'd still have had a young whipper-snapper who was after Riker's job, though she/he may not have been a pretty blonde.

17. Praetor

The further down the road you go, almost the more interesting it gets. If Yar's still around, what happens to her in "Generations" and beyond? Does she become Picard's XO in "Nemesis"?

Instead, if Troi's out of the way, and Marina Sirtis is playing Yar, I bet Riker and Yar get together. ;)

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's hard to tell. I personally thought Yar as a character was rather two dimensional so I really didn't much mind her departure. Certainly her alternate timeline returns and evil Romulan kids weren't any better, even when the writing had improved.

It could be she would've been developed more as the writing and characterization became better. It also could be her fears of spending seven years saying "opening hailing frequencies" were founded.

Crosby opting out of her contract didn't seem to be a good career move though. Did she ever get a long term project again after that? That was something I should imagine would be stapled to every job application she filled out.

19. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't imagine Tasha Yar not dieing, because her multiple death episodes are her best ones.

20. Praetor

True. Seeing Tasha alive is generally how you know the timeline has been futzed. :rommie: