What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

I grew up on the 8/16-bit era, so it's like nostalgia for me everytime I play them.

Weren't games of that era mostly written in assembly? I could never get my head around mnemonics. I guess I'm too used to OO languages. :(

Well, if you do make a Gauntlet remake, I'd love to check it out. All the best if you decide to. :)

2. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

8-bit games were mostly made in either assembly or interpreted basic, but the latter were not good. With assembler, you can control your resources better than a compiler can, and you can use opcodes that a compiler would not consider using. When you have just 16k of memory (7k of which was the screen buffer), you needed every bit you could save, and sometimes it was that tight!

Programmers nowadays don't appreciate how skilled the 8-bit programmers were to make the machines do what they did. Who now could write a graphical chess program that fits into 1kb of memory, and complete with a cpu opponent?

In the 16-bit era, memory was abundant with >512k, so C compilers tended to be used to write the bulk of games, with assembler code injected wherever efficiency was required.

Basic was also used to write some commercial games, but tended to produce lower quality end results.

3. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am a very lazy gamer. Only just bought Dirt2 and am also halfway Vanquish (which I love). Technically I am also playing Batman Arkham Asylum, but haven't played it in months. I think that constitutes as giving up.

4. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Batman: Arkham Asylum

5. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

I decided to make a start on it. I've drawn some background tiles and a little program to draw a screen image from them. :)

If anybody here wants to help by drawing some sprites, then you may volunteer, and I'll give details.

[​IMG]

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Started "Halo Reach" on splitscreen co-op yesterday and had a few nice moments, one in particular I was in a wraith (I think its called) and a bigger enemy tank was causing a problem my firepower seem lacking so I teased him by going past him near the edge of a cliff he came at em full speed and I just moved out of the way and he went off the cliff :lol:

got to love a dumb and eager AI enemy.

So far seems a fun game though the story could be more engaging.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Riven, and still trying to get realMyst to work on Vista *headdesk*

8. Mokona

Mokona Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all! I'm currently playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on my Wii Console, as well as Wii music

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica....

...Battle Mode!...

Pretty awesome.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Downloaded a game to try - 40 Stories.

It's a puzzle game where the objective is to escape an office building. Looks interesting, but I'll know more once I've started it.

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Playing X: Beyond the Frontier.

Not bad but I've gotten so use to autosave in new games that I've managed to save about 3 hours of gameplay, but I'm sure I've lost double that. Was very annoyed at one point as I launched from a station and the game through me out at the same time a ship leaving, which I had no idea about and I rammed straight into its rear end and lost over an hour of play. After that I'm save much more regularly now.

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I beat Sly Cooper 2 earlier today.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I received Mafia II today, and I borrowed BioShock from a friend a couple weeks ago to start sometime after finals finished. Now I just need to choose which one to start first...

14. jessytimothy

jessytimothy Cadet Newbie

Currently I am playong Heavy Rain game. I like all levels of this game. It is superb game, I scored more than 45 scores in first levels. It included interesting characters and levels.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

After almost a one-year break, I'm having a serious Dragon Age: Origins (360) relapse right now. Almost feels like cheating on my shiny new PS3, but I can't help it :lol:

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I chose Mafia II, and I'm almost done. I'm currently in Chapter 12, out of a total of fifteen. Having a damn good time with the game, though I wish it gave me a little more freedom to explore the city and do some of the optional cash-earning missions. I don't need it to be as open as a GTA game, but a little more openness would've been appreciated.

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Giving Trek Online another go though I'm thinking of reinstalling the Elite Force games.

In addition, KOTOR1:)

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I would love to play EF 1 again ;)

19. jloretta

jloretta Cadet Newbie

I'm not really a gamer, but I always play with my Nintendo DS whenever I have time. Currently playing Professor Layton's second game, the Diabolical Box. I must say those puzzles do help improves my brain.

Other than that, games like Harvest Moon, some rpgs. Yeah, I like cute games and more like a casual gamer.

20. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - A very well crafted indie horror game. Quite possibly the scariest game I have ever played. I think the scare factor is at least on par with the Silent Hill games.

Elemental: War of Magic - I decided to give this game another try now that the new patch is out (I barely played before because I knew a huge patch was on the way). I have started playing the campaign and it seems like a pretty fun game so far.