What Enterprise is the better design part 2 ?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stardate, Jan 10, 2008.

1. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

I also prefer the Sovereign; but I think the Galaxy really comes across as what it's supposed to be: a city in space.

2. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I consider the TMP and TNG Enterprises to be the most beautiful of all Trek designs. Thus, my vote in this poll, as in its predecessor, is quite predictable.

A heartfelt thumbs up to the work of Andrew Probert, who designed both. :thumbsup:

3. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

They represent two different lines of thinking in design.

One is for exploring/peacetime, and the other is more for military/wartime. That being said, while I love both designs I gave the nod to the Sovereign.

4. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While no fan of the D, the E is such an ungainly piece of fanboi nonsense with useless surface "kewl" detail, I have to give it the nod.

5. egonbeeblebrox

egonbeeblebrox Commander Red Shirt

The Galaxy Class is Hideous. Sovereign isn't much better, but it IS better.

6. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

I voted for the Galaxy Class. A pristine, bejeweled city in space, leaping to the unknown on the gossamer hope of knowledge triumphant and the burning desire to see the unknown. :D

J.

7. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galaxy class for me - it looks sufficiently different from its movie era predescessors and is attractive from some angles. The Soverign is trying too hard to look like the refit IMHO.

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

9. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

[​IMG]

Yeah.

J.

10. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I have to go with the Soverign here. The IMO the galaxy is to disproportioned, BIG SAUCER, little stardrive.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think I get your point; they BOTH have lousy silhouettes.

12. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tied the vote, Galaxy all the way... the Sovereign just looks too... mean, like a warship, not noble like the Galaxy.

13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Must you be so coarse? ;)

14. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Okay, well, what about the 1701-C, then?

[​IMG]

15. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Tough choice... because I hate both designs so much. As others have mentioned the 1701-D over-sized, oval saucer unbalances the whole design. The lines of the ship are too soft and look like someone melted a Constitution-Class saucer section. It only looks good from a couple angles and even then it doesn't look *that* good. The 1701-E on the other hand... is just ugly.

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Nacelles are a little higher, almost there ... guess you gotta go back to Kirk's ship for the best silhouette (though according to Nilo Rodis, if you shot the refit in profile it didn't look right.)

17. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

I have cutaways like these of the Ent-B and NX-01, but I can't say they cut handsome profiles, either. Maybe the Akira class beats all of these when viewed from the side, but we haven't had a real Akira-class Enterprise.

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Galaxy-Class as Andrew Probert originally intended it to be, not the additions made be others after he left the production team.

Some of those intentions can be viewed in the Ed Whitfield blueprints and not the Sternbach-Okuda blueprints.
    Ed Whitfield's Galaxy-Class Blueprints

One of the things that I liked the most about Probert's original intentions was that the edge of the saucer was tapered with windows lining the upper part and lower part of the deck for viewing, where there was no room for a Ten-Forward.

19. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

The Galaxy seems to be winning, despite the loudness of the opposition.

Anyway, neither design is terrible, but I find the E-E too squatty, neckless, and oddly shaped. It tries to be an ENT-B too much, with a giant leap backwards in deflector design and huge, illogical impulse vents. Not to mention all the crap stuck on the bottom of the saucer. It looked Ok in FC but went down hill with the redesign.

20. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

Have to go with the Galaxy. Like I've said before, the Enterprise-E looks terrible. It's a TNG type-2 phaser with nacelles on it. The Enterprise-D was meant for long term exploration and to have families aboard because of it. Hence, the large primary hull. There was no need to make the secondary hull too big because the only people there would be engineers. Although neither design holds a candle to the original Enterprise refit.