What do you LOVE to HATE about Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Triumphant, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember the (original) long duration phaser discharge in Naked Time, Scotty was using such a low power setting to cut through the wall that there was no visible beam.

The hand phaser might have something like a capacitor as part of it's power system, the power pack charges the capacitor, which then gives you a high power discharge for a short duration. Then you have to wait a few seconds, or use a lower power setting.

I might have more respect for the marquis if when the federation and starfleet were fighting and dying for them if they had declared their independence then, informing the federation (and the cardassians) that starfleet's effort on their part was unnecassary, and they would see to their own affairs.

Instead of waiting until after a peace treaty was signed (where the colonist had a repersentative) and then did their damnest to break the treaty and send the federation back into war.

:)

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

The Denver Broncos.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Premium Member

The Kazon. I want to burn the hair right off their heads. Couldn't stand them as an antagonist.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gesundheit.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't agree with the Maquis but I kind of sympathize. I'd be pretty pissed too if my home were given in a treaty to a hostile power. I would probably agree to be relocated if offered Federation-quality accommodation. But I do think the Maquis rights were violated by the treaty.

I value order as well, but order is useless without personal freedoms.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially if you had spent years building a life on that home planet as a colonist, from scratch. Obviously you wanted that life and now your choices are feck off onto a developed planet or start all over again. And for what? So TPTB that can take your life work and use it as a political bargaining chip? It's not like they would have had a say in any of this high level negotiation, they would have just been told the end decision which was "leave".

MLB how would you feel if Obama told you "we're giving your house and your whole state to Iran, because we need to have a peaceful relationship with them and they want it." Of course it's even more of an extreme for the Maquis because it is their whole planet, they aren't just being shifted a few states over.

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star trek 5, and Star trek ID are irredeemable.

Nemesis is almost irredeemable.

The HMS Pinafore scene of Insurrection. Actually most of that movie sucked.

Nu-Uhura (more specifically, her supplanting Bones in the classic trio)

Yelchin as Chekov

Even though I enjoyed Star trek 2009 overall, Nero sucked. Even though I hated Star Trek ID overall, CumberKhan was a good villain. Too bad Cumberpatch wasn't Nero instead of the hack also known as Eric Bana.

Cumbervillain should have just been John Harrison. I hate Harrison turned out to be Khan.

Magic blood!

The fact that TIME TRAVEL is overly used in Star Trek to the point it could be renamed Time Trek.

JJ Abrams!

Brannon Braga!

Threash Hold

Whoopee Goldberg.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh, no, their rights weren't violated. The Federation, like any government, has the absolute right to sign treaties and conduct peace negotiations. (There are two choices: Sign the treaty, or war with Cardassia. Which would you choose?) And they wanted to relocate the colonists, so they wouldn't have to deal with Cardassians anymore, but in fact it was the colonists' idea to stay in the DMZ in the first place. Remember "Journey's End" (TNG)?

As to what I'd do if the land my house sits on was handed over in some manner? They'd have to compensate me for it, so I hardly think it's worth becoming a terrorist over. In the Federation, where there is a near-infinite amount of living space, this would be even more important.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not taking sides here, but I just want to point out that forced migration, diaspora, and severed cultural ties to the native land -- all sponsored by their own nation -- are very real things that have lead to bloodshed in various parts of the world, especially a couple decades ago in Southeast Asia.

Of course, with that said, the writers for the Maquis had a ton of material going for the concept but squandered it for the idea of rebellion, but without much context.

10. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

The thing that bothers me the most about the Star Trek canon overall is its difficulty in really engaging in human emotions. Unfortunately, it tends to come across as shallow characterization, and it makes it hard to establish the kinds of thematic depths that have come to characterize the hourlong dramas that distinguish the modern Golden Age of Television. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine partially averts that, as its writing staff was clearly starting to evolve their writing practices as the modern Golden Age was developing during its run.)

The other thing I hate the most about Star Trek -- or, rather, about TNG-era Star Trek -- is its tendency to confuse the idea of humanity making real and substantive social progress, the idea that they have genuinely built a better society than our own, with the idea that people themselves are somehow fundamentally different. That fatal error, the confusion of SOCIAL evolution with NATURAL evolution, leads to TNG-era Humans appearing to be quite ethnocentric and sanctimonious -- and, I think, leads to fatal flaw number one, the difficulty the writers had in creating truly deep, vibrant characters.

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I think Bajorans are posturing sissies that are capitalizing on the morality of the Federation in order to make their position legitimate. Wishy washy b@stards.

12. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Beats and the Shouting Moderator

There are already three threads in this forum regarding what you love, what you hate, and why.

Many of the posts in this thread are missing the point of the OP (such as it was).

After talking with Misfit Toy we are going to close this one. If you want to talk about what you hate about Star Trek, what you love about Star Trek, or why you hate Star Trek, there are active threads for that.

[​IMG]

"Hailing Frequencies Closed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.