What did Lucas do?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Anduril, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He said that about Red Tails too, yet an HBO movie from years earlier outshined Red Tails in every way.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I agree. For all his talk for doing artsy stuff did he ever supported up an coming talented directors with his wealth?

I only know about him supporting Kurosawa from whom he stole/inspired.

I really hoped Lucas would had given the franchise to Filoni.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Lucas made some OK movies with the PT.
    It's the fanboys and their rage and OCD that have turned me off the Star Wars now. It no longer holds the excitement and thrill it once did.

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The point is that he died in saving the galaxy, but few people would say, "Aw, what a shame, too bad he couldn't have lived" once they see what a jerk he was. There's nothing to mourn.

By contrast, Gollum died saving the world, but he had enough depth and characterization that people can still feel sorry for him... more or less...

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If only we were all that lucky. :techman:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I didn't give a shit what "fanboys" thought. The prequel trilogy was seriously flawed and turned me off to the franchise for a long time. But I've gotten a chance to recapture a bit of the fun watching The Clone Wars with my little boy.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whose idea? I certainly think the Jedi are complicit, but I never saw anything in the movie to convince me that Lucas was making that point.

If the Jedi didn't have jurisdiction, they could have walked away and had nothing to do with the clones to avoid becoming morally complicit.

And the issue of what to do humanely with the clones is a completely different story. Maybe the Jedi needed to create a social service organization to help the poor clones. That obviously would have dragged the story way off focus but in that case, why even introduce clones? They existed only because there needed to be a rationalization for The Clone Wars, but there are many other ways to do that.

This is just another example of why the prequels seemed to be first drafts. somebody really needed to sit down and think through the way the clones were being used in the story and come up with better options. Let's see, maybe the Seperatists are the ones making clones as slave labor and the Republic is trying to stop them. The war is over the clones, but they arn't fighting in it. See how easy it is to come up with alternate approaches that don't result in a muddle?

I see no reason to invent rationalizations to defend Lucas' shitty, sloppy writing. i'm certainly not going to waste my time defending it, not when bashing the hell out of it is so much more entertaining. :D

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another potentially interesting idea that didn't actually make it into the movies in any real way, although it is being used to good effect in the TV series.

The prequels contain many good, workable ideas, which might have been used to create some decent scripts after several rounds of revision and input from better writers.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

George Lucas is a douche. Both Star Wars and Indy are great in spite of him, not because of him... Kinda.

But he's also FUCKING AWESOME, and I love him for enriching my childhood. Despite the fact that SW would have been shit without the likes of Garry Kurtz and Larry Kasdan.

Haters be damned. You owe some of your fondest memories to this guy, never forget that.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's not forget that Gollum wasn't trying to save anyone when he died.

Depth and characterization? You mean the fact that he had a dark side and a light side?

If we ignore the places where it did make it into the movies, such as the TPM Coruscant material.

The approach that was used didn't result in a muddle. It just made Jedi-haters think it had given them ammunition.

The moral angle might not be quite as cut-and-dried as many seem to think. Refusing the army means losing the war, letting the Republic be split in two.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were both independent productions produced by Lucasfilm. Star Wars, on the other hand, was a studio picture, and by all accounts Lucas had to fight with the board of Twentieth Century Fox tooth and nail to get the film made, and to get it made his way. (Thankfully, he won).

What the prequels didn't have was a producer like Gary Kurtz (IV, V), a screenwriter like Larry Kasdan (V, VI), or a director like Irvin Kershner (V) -- people who could disagree with Lucas or at least present another point of view.

A board of directors would have likely looked at the box office receipts of The Phanton Menace and put as many sequels into production as possible (which, lo and behold, is exactly what Disney is doing now that they control the property).

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

When you look at the subtext, the Republic AND the Jedi Order at the time of the Clone Wars were in the last stages of internal decay. The Republic, hopelessly politically corrupt and impotent and the Jedi rapidly losing their ability to connect properly with the Force due to their arrogance and inflexibility.

True, it's portrayed a bit simplistically, but it IS a film franchise based ultimately on Saturday Matinee short subject type storytelling.

13. Set Harth

Nope.

The Jedi ability to use the Force has diminished due to the darkness in the Force; the darkness in the Force is due to Palpatine.

14. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

What's funny is that the ultimate proof that the flaws of the prequels are directly Lucas' fault is the fact that The Clone Wars, which he has limited involvement with, is VASTLY superior to anything in those movies. In deed, the one part of TCW that Lucas was deeply involved with was the one part that was universally panned, the theatrical film/pilot.

But seriously, had Anakin been depcited in the films the way he is shown on TCW, those movies would have been infinitely more watchable. In some ways, they are not even the same character because Anakin in The Clone Wars is a likable if flawed and conflicted person...i.e someone you want to watch. There is no way that the PT Anakin ever had someone like Asoka in his life.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I care.

This. My SW fandom is pretty much ruined by the PT hate and disdain. I used to spend a lot more time in SW land but I walked away from it because of the venom.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the George Lucas who made the original Star Wars films and THX-1138 and embraced the fan community, I hate the George Lucas who handled the Special Editions of the original Star Wars films and THX-1138, and I'm ambivalent about the George Lucas who made the prequel films.

17. Set Harth

The Lucas you loved, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Ca$h Money.

18. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I disliked the whole "bring balance" to the force idea. I mean you are the Jedi & you think there are no sith. What are you trying to balance? If a 300 pound weight.is on one side and nothing on the other..how.to balance.?add to the other.side . As others have said a better arc of Annikans fall would.have helped.

Of.course.part.of.it.is.that when star wars came out in 77 it blew.my 9 year old.mind away with the then extraordinary effects. Not possible for a movie to so that to my now middle aged mind.

19. Set Harth

You and everyone else who incorrectly read "balance of the Force" as "balance of Force-users".

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

All of the OT movies were studio movies, he didn't start paying for the Star Wars movies himself til the prequels came along. Kasdan and Kershner both turned down offers to work on the prequels.