What could have been "the great experiment"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Starship, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Starship

Starship Commander Red Shirt

Well this one is based upon one of those old Excelsior Prototypes. It will be my version of that prototype, not a reproduction of the original.
    The modelling will be initially done in sketchup. Later, small details and textures will be added in 3ds max. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Starship

Last ones for now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gosh darnit all to heck, you beat me to it! You magnificent, green blooded son of a gun! The Excelsior looks pretty good for the block in, I'm liking the silhouette. It's very reminiscent Ralph Mcquarry's Enterprise sketch. I might take some inspiration form this.

I can't wait to see more:techman:

4. Starship

Thank you Johnson!

My font of inspiration was this prototype:

[​IMG]

5. Tarek71

Tarek71 Captain Captain

Ooooo! Very nice. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of those Excelsior variants, but I like this. Well done. I am interested to see how this turns out.

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I thought that she was kind of sleek, and I liked her unique design.

7. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ooo Shiny. But if I may offer a tad bit of info, I would add a little more girth on the Y axis. Not too much mind you just add a thin secondary hull cause I can't see a warp drive engine fit in there.

If you need any tips or tricks for modeling, UV'ing, Texturing, and Lighting. I know a enough of 3Ds Max to translate what I know of Maya. Also the other reason is, I do this for a living now....

Either Way, good luck I look forward to see this finished! :techman:

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If that thing's as big as the windows are implying, you don't NEED any girth. Figure the intermix chamber is right under the giant crystal with a horizontal shaft running allllll the way back to where that beacon light is in the top view, then splitting off to the nacelles. And not a thin shaft either, but a wide one like a superstretched version of NX-01's engine. You've got the supersized impulse engine (NOT a shuttlebay) in the very back. Besides, girth would spoil the whole point of this concept model's look - this ship is built for SPEED. Like 0-to-Warp-20 in 0.8 seconds speed.

9. Starship

I know what you´re talking about. I´m still working over the general proportion of the components, but the ship don´t follow so closelly the original concept. ;) See the new renderings.

Thanks! When the time comes, probably I´ll need a lot of help, especially when doing the textures. I have some experience modelling in 3ds max, but I´m a complete newbie in the texture process. For me it´s just a hobby. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Drat! I just see the x symbols again. Another source please?

11. Starship

Sure! My deviantart page has all the renderings:
    http://brstarship.deviantart.com :)

12. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Library filter won't allow it.