What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Luther Sloan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not about the destination, we don't need no stinking destination it's about the journey.

They WERE planning on getting around giving him a journey too.

But they ran out of time by mistake.

2. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

They stuck too closely for the Voyager bible with Kim...heck Chakotay needed some growth too.

3. Guy Gardener

If Janeway noticed some growth in her XO, she might have she might have kept a firm eye on him.

4. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

They were still connected to Quark, and DS9's premise allowed for more growth than VOY's "We're all alone in the Galaxy and have little to no interactions with anyone outside the ship" stuff.

And the actors were good actors who took their work seriously, unlike Wang. So the writers were less willing to do anything with him. If it wasn't for that TIME magazine article we'd have been rid of him after season 3 and left with the more interesting Kes.

Frankly, Kim never should have been a central character in the first place. He SHOULD have been a secondary, like Rom.

5. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I like that Seasons are planned some times...it allows for something spontaneous but it can lead to some rather jumbled occurrences.

6. Anwar

That wouldn't have worked for VOY, and I can see why they wouldn't want to do it anyways:

No matter how much hard work they put into an enemy, an ally civilization or whatever interesting politics there are in one area of space they're flying through they ALWAYS have to leave it all behind and start over form scratch a few episodes later.

Why bother putting in all that work when it's all destroyed 2-3 episodes later?

7. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Well the spontaneous thing didn't work for season 6 and 7

8. Anwar

It's why the premise needed more work. The "Always moving" thing should've been dropped entirely, and the "Going home" thing should've been a secondary plot. The primary plot of the show should've been something like "Voyager must unite several races together to fight off an invasion by the 8472 aliens".

9. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I was thinking Borg but I see where you're going.

10. Anwar

Just have the 8472 destroy the Borg entirely to show off how tough they are. I'm sure that's be considered heresy but tough.

11. Guy Gardener

The Borg don't run away and it still took 8472 a year to almost get started.

12. Anwar

Which is why it would be insanely easy for the 8472 to kill them all.

13. Guy Gardener

It was easy.

Just time consuming.

8472 won every encounter but there were possibly millions or engagements that needed to be processed before the Borg ran out of manpower and accepted extinction.

The Borg were a race of lemmings.

Not only couldn't 8472 not destroy the Borg quicker than they could assimilate new drones, cubes and planets to replace their losses but it becomes questionable that the galaxies Borg Population was growing at an alarming rate in an effort to match 8472 genetic superiority with sheer volume.

The Borg would assimilate all life in the Universe as they're retreating (reinforceing their backlines as their frontlines fall.) from the 8472 vanguard in an effort to survive a radically lucky opponent who could not be assimilated.

This would take millions of years as the Borg began to assimilate every planet they came across and not just curious and novel worlds that harboured an interest in.

Millions of years?

Millions of Years!

And that's just if this war was confined to the Milky Way Galaxy.

14. zar

zar Captain Captain

I don't know where you get this idea that the choice to make him a main character in the beginning tied their hands for the rest of the show. If the character wasn't working out, they could have, you know, changed their minds and decided not to feature him as much.

Have you seen this? http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Main_character_non-appearances

There were plenty of times they cut out "main" characters because they couldn't think of anything to do with them.

Jake Sisko has a whopping 44 non-appearances and many of his appearances were just a couple scenes, even though he was supposed to be a main character and kept showing up on the promotional "family photo" shots.

Now scroll down to Kim.

Three.

They kept cramming Kim into the spotlight in all but 3 episodes even though they couldn't come up with anything interesting to do with him.

They didn't have to do that.

15. Guy Gardener

The nature of his contract is that he would be in X number of episodes to do anything from a walk-on, to playing the central character of a story whereafter he would get paid a static number number of dollars no matter how little work he did.

Oh.

They were paid a salary.

They thought they could use him for 26 episodes so they insisted he be in 26 episodes a season and paid him to be prepare to do anything to nothing to justify his salary.

They could have split his screen time with Kes.

If Kim and his agent would actually tollerate having his salary cut.

Which they wouldn't.

16. zar

zar Captain Captain

^ Everything you said applies to every other main cast member on every series, but as that page clearly shows it never stopped them from cutting episode spots and screen time before.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

What killed me about Harry Kim is he is pretty much a blank slate...the other characters have alot of history and baggage...but Kim was brand new and they could have done anything with him.

18. Anwar

Which is why Kim pales compared to them. He was a nobody played by a bad actor, compared to the rest of the cast.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

But they could have use the first 3 seasons to build up a remarkable character, his Star Fleet metal tested and his young life shaped by experiences in the DQ...then the next four seasons we could have seen it play out...instead we pretty much got nothing from the character. I didn't think Wang was that bad. :shrug:

20. Anwar

The reason the writers did little to nothing with him (except kill him and resurrect him on a regular basis) was because Wang never took his work as seriously as the others, even from the start. They stopped wanting to do anything with him and dealt more with the actors who actually took their work seriously.