What concluded series do you miss the most?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Sep 8, 2013.

?

Which series do you miss most?

1. Stargazer

2.2%
  2. SCE/CoE

24.2%
  3. IKS Gorkon/Klingon Empire

22.0%
  4. Vanguard

29.7%
  5. New Frontier

26.4%
  6. Myriad Universes

25.3%
  7. Mirror Universe

5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^All the Myriad Universes installments were short novels, not novellas. They averaged around 50,000 words, and anything over 40,000 is generally considered novel-length.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I didn't know that - thanks.

I'm actually surprised that he hasn't done a Trek novel, too. Most of the really prolific multi-universe tie-in authors have, at some point.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

More than you might think: Karen Traviss, Kevin J. Anderson, Max Allan Collins, Justin Richards, Steven Savile, Craig Shaw Gardner, Christopher Golden, Nancy Holder, Yvonne Navarro, Stacia Deutsch, Donald Bain, Richard Lee Byers, and R.A. Salvatore are all mutli-universe tie-in authors who have never written Star Trek prose fiction. (Golden and Anderson have both written Trek comics, though.)

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fact that those bolded authors have never written anything Trek related is a blessing, based on their output. KJA is the least worse of the two, but I can just imagine the rage knowledgeable TrekLit fans would unleash if they heard Travissty was going to publish a Trek story.

5. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you missed the point where KRAD noted that KJA wrote a Trek comic... He also wrote co-wrote one of the DS9 young adult books with his wife. So, unfortunately, he has done Trek-related work. I'm just glad he hasn't done any more.

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I'm not totally mistaken Kevin J: Anderson has written Trek prose. AFAIK he has written Highest Score, one of the DS9 young adult novels, with Rebecca Moesta under the pseudonym Kem Antilles.

ETA: Don't know why, but totally missed TF Sinclair's post, where he already pointed this out.

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ My mistake, I totally forgot that Kevin & Rebecca wrote that one.

My original point still stands. Plenty of multiple-universe tie-in authors who haven't done Trek.....

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Indeed; and I stand corrected.

I actually haven't heard of a few names on your list, though, so there seem to be a lot of tie-in series that I'm not familiar with. Which isn't surprising, but thanks for the correction either way :)

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I have had the plan to write a guide to tie-in novels for USF for some time now, presenting the different series that are out there. But I just don't find the time to do the necessary research at the moment. :scream:

10. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, as a life-long Star Wars fan, I think Traviss' books are the best thing to come out of the Prequel era (narrowly beating out the cartoon series), and I for one would love to see what she could do with the Jem'Hadar or the Talarians.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

These are the ones I know:
    MAC - CSI, Bones, Criminal Minds
    Justin Richards - Dr. Who (I think?)
    Christopher Golden - Buffy, Hellboy
    Nancy Holder - Buffy
    Yvonne Navarro - Buffy
    R.A. Salvatore - Star Wars, Forgotten Realms (D&D)
    Some of the listed authors have probably written for other franchises, but those are the ones that I can think of without checking out Wikipedia or Amazon.

12. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the complete opposite opinion of Traviss. She is rather divisive in the Star Wars EU, and I wouldn't want her anywhere near Star Trek.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought most people liked her SW novels?

14. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From what I've personally seen, a lot of the butthurt comes from her:

A) not caring about pre-established continuity.

B) making the Jedi look like bastards (which, let's face it, they kinda were in the Prequels).

and

C) taking a race of cardboard nobodies and fleshing them out into a complex society with good and bad people who could not be easily categorized.

I'm guessing a Traviss-written Star Trek book would be non-novelverse continuity, would focus on some obscure and barely-seen race, and would include a some morally-ambiguous actions on the part of the Federation/Starfleet --all of which tend to be things we're pretty okay with.

15. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I think it's just that the people who don't like her SW novels got drowned out by her fanboys.

I don't think people really have a problem with C - I like seeing societies get fleshed out. With B, she pretty much demeaned the Jedi in order to make the (her) Mandalorians look better. And with A, she didn't really have a problem with pre-established continuity - but then George Lucas wanted to bring his version of the Mandalorians to life, and she quit.

But my biggest issue is that she called fans who disagreed with her "Talifans."

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget what's she's doing to Halo - recasting one of the good characters in the universe as a mad scientist resented by everyone who has worked with/for her, making the morally repugnant and stupid military intelligence branch the good guys, and just making loathsome story choices whenever she can.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That does it, Pocket has to hire this woman and make her write a story in the Trek novelverse continuity right now. Let's shake things up a bit!

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Stargazer series written by Micheal Jan friedman. I've started re-reading these novels I'm sorry there were n't afew more books I liked the characters Ben Zoma, Elizabeth Wu Cole Paris and Pug Joseph .

19. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Vanguard. It was the most well-written. I didn't really get far into Stargazer or SCE. I did enjoy the mirror universe and the myriad universes. I lost interest in New Frontier after awhile, as it seemed to get crazier and crazier as the books went on. The first 7 or so books were pretty good, particularly the early arc that ends with Thallon blowing up.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you hear about The Seekers?