What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just read The Scarlet Letter, which I enjoyed greatly despite its "classic" status. Next in the great march through American classics, Tom Sawyer! I've not read it in years, so it will be a real pleasure.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

i am listening to We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, narrated by Bernadette Dunne.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The slipcase edition of Witzend that I pre-ordered months ago just arrived yesterday. I feel like taking a week off of work and dropping some acid while I read it. :rommie:

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Still reading A Storm of Swords - can't wait till I get to A Feast for Crows, as I haven't seen season 4 of the TV show yet (the spouse and I are waiting for the Blu-ray release).

5. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Burning Bright by E.J. Stevens

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished The Martian. Really good stuff there from a first-time author. I rank it up there among my favourite Mars fiction such as Ben Bova's Mars.

7. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just read Unintended Consequences, by Marti Green, on my kindle...Wow! What a great thriller! It's concerns the Help Innocent Prisoners Project. and was only a buck ninety-nine.

I highly recommend it for everyone; especially if you go books about the law. Very suspense-filled; the...I couldn't put it down kind.

8. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. :)

9. Velocity

Burning Bright by E.J. Stevens

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tatiana, by Martin Cruz Smith. Good, not great.

11. Miss Chicken

I just bought it both on Kindle and at Audible. It cost me less to buy the Kindle book first ($4) and than the Audible ($1.99) than it would have been to have bought the Audible on it own.

I really, really enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle which I mentioned in my previous post. The narrator, Bernadette Dunne was excellent.

After that I listen to, and also read a little on my Kindle, Frozen Out (also published under the title Frozen Assets) by Quentin Bates. It was a murder mystery set in Iceland. I think it lacked something, maybe because the author wasn't Icelandic he didn't capture the Icelandic mood like a native author did. I wasn't that keen on the narrator, Mel Hudson.

Now I am listening to another Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child book, Riptide, narrated by Scott Brick.

12. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Cosmos and Psyche - Richard Tarnas

13. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

In The Beginning: Science faces God in the Book of Genesis by Isaac Asimov.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Alternating between Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan and (still working my way through) A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

15. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Isn't it a riot? And the best part is that's 'hard' SF; the wisecracking commentary and the brilliant on-the-fly engineering go back and forth with one another.

I'm finishing up George Washington's Secret Six, which is diverting enough but not exactly scholarly. It's so narrative he has psuedo-fabricated 'conversations' happening between the characters, and there's nary a footnote. I'm only reading it because the book I'd INTENDED to read for the week of the Fourth (The Men who Lost America got lost in the mail.

16. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead. It's book two of the Bloodlines series. I have two more after this to read before the next one comes out later this month.

17. Miss Chicken

I finished Riptide. I didn't enjoy it as much as most of the other Preston/Child books I have read. The plot was good but I think the characters were not that interesting.

I am now listening to Revenge of the Whale: The True Story of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick, narrated by Taylor Mali.

18. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Now into 'The Moon Maze Game' (Dream Park 4) by Niven & Barnes. Started off a boit wobbly but seems to be picking up steam, could be good. LARPing in a crater on the Moon, with terrorists infiltrating the Game. What's game and what's real?

19. Velocity

Seraphim by Phaedra Weldon

20. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

dreams of empire a 2nd doctor who book.