What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a book about my hometown for Christmas, titled "when every 6th house was a pub". It's full of anecdotes and fun to read and there's even a pic of my granddad in it :) (Fortunately, there are none of the less flattering anecdotes about him like the one with the bicycles: Granddad and a few friends went for a booze in a pub in the middle of the forrest. Until that day we had simple wooden roadposts marking the rims of the road at 50 yard intervals, about hip-height, painted white, without reflectors. But that very afternoon they got equipped with round white reflectors. When granddad had safely returned home late at night he kept going on about the "hundreds of bicyclists! Left and right!" :D That one is still proverbial in my family after half a century LOL.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bought The Humans by Matt Haig over the weekend as I needed something light to read. Finished it last night. I was lured in by the description of it being Adamsian humour. It's about an alien who comes to Earth with the job of killing a mathematician who's solved the key to the Riemann hypothosis in order to halt human technological advancement. First quarter of the book is hilarious, with the alien oblivious to the chaos and hilarity he's causing around him as he tries to figure out human basics, such as language, body language, and that humans wear something called "clothes", and then trying to get a jump on all that by reading a copy of Cosmopolitan. The book is big on philosophy, with it being largely a look at what makes us human. And I guess that's where my I have my first problem. About halfway through, it abandons the humour and starts to philosophize a bit too much for my liking, becoming a bit too serious, especially on death. This I felt was a departure in tone from the earlier part of the book and it took me aback. I have to say though, that Matt Haig is a talented writer, with great authorial voice and the chapters flowed very nicely. Though, there were moments where the philosophy got a bit heavy and distracting and took me out of the story. In the end, I did enjoy it, but perhaps not as much as I thought I would.

Next I'm going to get back to The Terror by Dan Simmons. I had started this last summer, but wasn't really able to get into it, I guess because the mood wasn't quite right. I've already started re-reading it, and I'm finding it easier to get into, and much more immersive due to the cold weather.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague de Camp

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost done with Terms of Enlistment, which is a fun read. Next up is Under a March Sun, which is about Baseball Spring Training.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Premium Member

I have been engrossed in "Nextissue.ca". It's the Netflix for magazines. Since subscribing, my wife and I have cancelled all our our hardcopy subscriptions, which has allowed us to pay for Next Issue for the next year and a half. That, and it has expanded our titles to over a hundred - with back issues included. Sweet.

Also, I am rereading "Ex Machina", by Christopher L. Bennett.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Nextissue sounds interesting. I'm going to have to switch my SF magazine subscriptions to esubscriptions simply because I have no more room in my house.

Meanwhile, I'm still reading Anathem. It's my life's work.

7. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral Admiral

no matter how many times I read the Hunger Games, it's like I'm reading it for the first time...and in the third book...Mockingjay, when Katniss tells the cat her sister is dead, I cry.

Now, I'm reading Samaki, by J. A. Davis, a story of an otter in Africa, from the otter's point of view. What a lovely book. It reminds me of the very first book I ever took out of the library, back when I was about 9 years old...called An Otter's Story.

8. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Premium Member

A social sciences textbook

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am reading Spiders by Richard Lewis. It is a typical 'killer animal' novel that were popular in the 1970/1980s.

Edited to add - I am on to chapter 5 of Spiders and so far four women have had their physically description given and each description mentions the state of their boobs and thighs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

March 2013 issue of Analog magazine. I started reading "Instinctive Response" by Bond Elam... prompting me to "borrow" it from the waiting room at the Veterans' Administration today.

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    'The Long Ships' by Frans G. Bengtsson, an historical novel about a Viking hero by the name of Red Orm.

12. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've started a re-read of Of Human Bondage.

13. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Just finished Pete Townshend's autobiography, "Who I Am', very informative, pretty interesting. I never thought of myself as a Who fan, but when I realised how much of their music I'd heard and liked, I may have t change that. Good stuff, you should read if you are of a certain age.

14. Miss Chicken

I am up to about page 100 of American Gods by Neil Gaiman, I am enjoying it so far.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. i've never watched the tv series or read any of these books. want to see what all the fuss is about.

16. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I gave myself about five days to read it before the book club meeting, and lo and behold two of those work days have contorted into snow days, and the book's quite readable, and I'm going to finish today. I really didn't want to start another book before the meeting. Oh well!

17. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've heard that some of the books are slow as molasses, but I've never read one myself, so I can't tell for sure. Let us know how you like it.

On Monday I bought the closing volume of a comic called "Zombies" by french scenarist Olivier Peru. I've never read "The Walking Dead" comics and when I asked about them the shop assistant advised me to read the Zombies-series instead. Probably because it is shorter. Anyway, it is great.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finished Jioe Hill's Horns and just started on Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

When I was out spending my Christmas gift certificates on Sunday, I came across another Burroughs tribute anthology called Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs; this one has stories about Tarzan, Pellucidar, Carson, et al. I'll probably dip into this when I finish Anathema, somewhere around 2026.

20. Miss Chicken

My reads at the moment

Audiobook - The Potato Factory by Bryce Countney, It is long book and it will take me about two weeks to get through.

Paper book - The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufmann. A novella I have just started, I picked it up for $1.95. Its blurb -

e-Book - Killer Tunes (a Bailey MacIntyre Celtic Fiddle Mystery) by Karen Cunningham. A cozy mystery in which a fiddle player investigates a murder with the help of a ghost. I should finish it tonight.