What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

started reading Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have finished reading Devils of Amber Street and I will briefly comment on all four stories.

1) Devils of Amber Street - I though this would be a simple possessed house story, a subgenre I don't normally like, so I was pleased that it went in another direction.

2) The Bonaventure Jane - I like this story the most. One of my favouite genres - historical mystery. I would love to read further George Tellant stories.

3) Megg - I quite enjoyed this brief story.

4) The Wolf -Prologue for a future novel. Interested me enough to want to read the novel when it is released.

I am currently reading Twice in a Lifetime - a collection of Icelandic short stories by Ágúst Borgþór Sverrisson.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Especially glad you liked The Bonaventure Jane, it's the oldest of the stories in the book and I've always had a soft spot for it :)

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Don Quixote, I preferred the second part to the first part. Now I'm reading Call of the Wild by Jack London, and I'll probably finish that today.

5. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you like it, you should read the others. I love the Agent Pendergast series, although the last 2 were probably my least favorite.

Currently reading "Guilt" by Jonathan Kellerman. Part of the Alex Delaware series.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I like the Kellerman/Delaware series, though haven't read one for a year or so now, trouble is I can never remember which ones I've read and which I haven't! :)

Milo's a great supporting character!

7. Snowlilly

I used to have that problem. Until I got my Kindle :hugegrin:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

currently reading: Carry on, Jeeves
    Not on a Kindle but on my trusty old Sony reader, though :D
    I've watched the TV series a few months ago and now when I read the book, I keep seeing the characters. Highly distracting!
    (Btw, I can wholeheartedly recommend the DVDs - absolutely hilarious and the cast - down to the smallest character - is simply perfect!)

10. trekkiebaggio

Moon and Sixpence by William Somerset Maughm

11. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All the Laws but One By the late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist. It's about the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus in times of war (by the United States).

12. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I LOVE Of Human Bondage. Not a fan of "The Razor's Edge." Maugham is a master of prose.

13. trekkiebaggio

Yeah he is, when I got my Kindle Fire for Christmas I was looking at free classics and I just randomly downloaded 'The Hero'. From then on he quickly rose to be one of my favourite writers. So far I've only read The Hero and The Magician, but I'll probably read Of Human Bondage after Moon and Sixpence.

14. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek Cold Equations Pt. 1: The Persistence of Memory. So far, it's made me cry twice. All the references to Data upsets me. *wails* Data's not dead!!!!!! *sobs in corner*

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear.

16. Miss Chicken

I have just finished reading I Remember You by Sigurdarsdottir. It is a ghost story/mystery about 2 boys who go missing more than 50 years apart in Iceland. Are their disappearances connected?

My next read will be Remembering Babylon by David Malouf which is a novel about an English cabin boy who is marooned on the coast of Australian during the 19th century and is taken in by Aboriginals.

17. Snowlilly

So how was it? Any good? Sounds kinda up my alley :)

18. Miss Chicken

I liked it. However, generally speaking, I like the vast majority of books that are set in Iceland as I am an Icelandophile.

It is quite typical for both a Icelandic ghost story and an Icelandic mystery. There are two stories being told at once, the story about a psychiatrist and the other about some people renovating a house in an remote village and the two stories have alternating chapters.

The book is set in the region around Ísafjörður (NW Iceland) which is a nice change from books set in Reykjavik. However Yrsa does tend to set her books all over Iceland (and one was set in Greenland).

I would rate is 4/5.

19. trekkiebaggio

Essential Daredevil vol. 1

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yesterday, I read over 200 papers about how the Lionfish could or could not fit into commercial fishing.

My brain is still trying to recover. :crazy: