Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

217 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

62 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Meh.

18 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

8 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. IrvinWithAnEye

IrvinWithAnEye Ensign Newbie

Hey everyone! I'm glad to have finally had an opportunity to join this board after years of lurking. :rofl:

I've been a fan since I was a kid. I jumped onto the wagon when I was around 13 and didn't look back. Star Trek got me through some pretty rough times at home. It gave me a creative outlet to a large degree. Now that I'm 40 and married, I still watch whatever ST is put before me and get to cons whenever I can.

Looking forward to making some new friends out here!

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Premium Member

Hey lurker! I'm almost as bad. Not been her for a year!

3. Nanerpus

Nanerpus Cadet Newbie

Hey guys! I'm in an ugly position where I want to talk about Star Trek because it is my favorite show, but I have nobody to talk about it with. Hopefully this forum will change that! During the summer after my freshmen year of high school (7 years ago), my father introduced me to the series by letting me watch his collection of the original series on VHS. After a few episodes, I was hooked and binge watched the entire series, in addition to the movies, in just a few weeks. As soon as I finished it, my father bought me the animated series on dvd and I also binge watched that. The next summer, I watched some of The Next Generation, but my father only owned a few of the episodes so I gave up on it. Fast forward 6 years (I can't believe it was really that long) to last summer when I discovered that the entirety of Star Trek was on Netflix. I started by watching all of Enterprise because it related somewhat to the original series. I thought it was pretty good, but the second half of it didn't really feel like Star Trek. Then I watched DS9 and didn't really like it. There was only about 1 episode out of every 5 that I actually enjoyed. After going through the second half of Enterprise and DS9, I was hesitant to start Voyager because I thought that I might not like it. To my pleasant surprise, I actually LOVE Voyager and I am almost done with the whole thing. After Voyager, I am very excited to start The Next Generation, because I've heard it is the best.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Ensign Red Shirt

Hi,

My name is Steve and I'm a Trek addict... oh wait wrong place for that! ;)

I watched the odd epsiodes of TOS, TNG and DS9 through the 80s and 90s, plus the films at Christmas time, but did not get into Trek until I started watching Voyager around 1996 - I identified with the crew being stuck away from what I called home and family.
    I then started watching all the episodes of Voyager and even arranged to rent the VHS tapes upon release at the local video store (if you don't know what a VHS tape is, it is what came before DVD!) as it would take another year for episodes to air on the BBC!

From there I started watching TNG and DS9 and then when it came out I watched ENT.
    Only recently have I been watching TOS (still no TAS) as I never could stand the way Kirk treated women, spoke and a whole lot of other things - and yes I know it was the 60s and for those times what they tackled where very important issues, but as teenager, I thought... nope, not watching that!!

I did not do much with Trek for years after ENT until I found Star Trek Online (STO) in 2011. I know have 44 characters in 26 fleets!

Since then I've gotten into podcasting where I host my own Star Trek and STO podcast called Tribbles in Ecstasy.
    I have also been involved in other Sar Trek podcast productions like the G&T Show, Priority One Podcast, The Red Shirt Army, USS Starfinder, amoungst others, through audio editing, guest appearances, voice artist etc.

I heard about this board from discussions on the G&T Show about Axanar, so I'm getting to know my way around atm.

LLAP, Steve

5. Dan_theNerd

Dan_theNerd Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on TrekBBS. I signed up some years ago, but became too busy to get involved with the message board.

With the announcement of the new Trek series in 2017, and the recent Abrams-Trek movies, my interest in Trek and sci-fi has peaked again. Looking for a community for some good conversation and reminiscing on a variety of sci-fi and non-sci-fi related topics. :)

So... I guess a hello is in order. :)

P.S. Was anyone here a member of SCN (Subspace Comms Network) about 10+ years ago? I spent about 1-2 years as a semi-regular poster on that site. Just curious if there'd be anyone here that I'd know.

6. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Captain Captain

I'm back after a long gap. I'm an original fan, viewer, obsessive, whatever... I started partway through season one (best season of any show, I think), and the 1970s for me were a long, long period of waiting for Star Trek (and the Beatles) to come back.