Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Welcome, new posters! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and find interesting topic to discuss (or create them yourselves). See you around. :)

2. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello, everyone.

My love of Star Trek goes all the way back to the early seventies, when I was a little girl. I was one of those fans who found the show when it was in its first round of syndication. It was on five nights a week around 5 or 6 PM and I never missed an episode. My brother was also a big fan and we usually watched it together and we would talk about the show all the time.

There was so much about TOS that I loved, but for me the heart of the show was always the incredible chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

It was something to be a Star Trek fan in the 70s. Back in those days, it was considered really uncool to be a Trekkie. But even more than that, the idea that the show might actually, you know, come back someday was just a crazy, far-out idea that seemed utterly unrealistic. Even though my brother and I knew the show was popular in syndication and we knew about the conventions -- we both knew better than to get our hopes up that the show might actually be resurrected someday.

It's been a wild trip since then. I attended a bunch of conventions during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, and have seen almost every member of the original cast speak at one of these conventions.

I do love most of the other shows as well. The only exception is Enterprise, though I do love Scott Bakula and in fairness I have only seen a few episodes. But it didn't do much for me. But I am a huge Next Generation fan and in fact I am currently re-watching the fourth season.

Well, I suppose that's enough for now.

3. Count Zero

Welcome, Basha. I like hearing about the early days of fandom and I hope you stick around and share a few more stories in the course of your stay here.
    I also became a Trek fan as a child, watching TOS in syndication (though that was in the second half of the 80s) with my older brother. While it is flawed and objeczively not the best Trek show, I've come to see Enterprise as my favourite series though I love almost all of them almost equally.

4. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello Yeoman Basha. Hope you enjoy being at the boards :)

5. SillyTilly

SillyTilly Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello, Just realised that I have yet to post in this thread. I first started watching Star Trek in the 90's when I was a child. It was TNG what got me into the series and I used to watch it on BBC TWO with my mum who also likes the show. My love for the show has grown over the last few years and I am currently going through TNG (and planning to go onto TOS when I have finished that) as its been years since I have watched some of the episodes.

6. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you, to both Count Zero and kirsten187.

To Count Zero, the early days of Trek fandom were a lot of fun, in a super-geeky kind of way. I have very fond memories, though I really wish I could remember more, or had saved more. But I'm pretty sure I still have an old musty tribble around here somewhere, mail-ordered directly from Lincoln Enterprises almost 40 years ago.

I wish I liked Enterprise as much as the other series. Though again, to be fair, I have only watched a few episodes. Perhaps I will give it another try someday.

7. Yasashii

Yasashii Cadet Newbie

Hello there.

I'm gonna start off with a confession. I'm a total n00b. I don't know almost anything about Star Trek yet. At least not in comparison to some people's knowledge. So far I watched:

- Star Trek, the movie from 2009
    - The whole Enterprise. Twice.
    - 1 season of The Next Generation (currently watching)

And I only played Star Trek: Bridge Commander and Star Trek Online as far as games are concerned. That's it.

The Next Generation is the very reason I'm here. I should have watched it all years ago but I was afraid that because it's quite old now, it could be cheezy. My God, was I wrong. The awesomness of it blows my mind. It's even better than Enterprise (IMO).

I got into it now. I want to learn more and I want to be around people who love Star Trek and know more about it.

8. kirsten187

Hi Yasashii - welcome to Trekbbs. I hope you enjoy it here :)

9. Cmdr Ji Qi Ren

Cmdr Ji Qi Ren Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone,
    Oh my, I feel really bad about signing up here, because I'm not much of a true trekkie compared to all the people on here. Never been to a con, never watched much of VOY and ENT, don't remember anything about Nemesis and can't be bothered to watch Star Trek (2009) because I have an irrational disklike of prequels. And I don't really watch any other sci fi series (or any series for that matter).
    Oh well, "at least I'm not Brent Spiner". (Free tribble for anyone who knows the reference).

My fave series are TOS, TNG and DS-9. Favourite characters:
    Kirk/Spock/McCoy, Picard, Data, Odo, Garak, Quark.

On the bright side, I've seen Patrick Stewart live in three theatre plays. It would be even better if I could remember any of it.

LOL, OK, enough whining. I have fond memories of being that weird kid in high school who gave a presentation about Star Trek because I didn't have any other hobby to talk about.
    I hope talking to fellow trekkies on here will help me take Star Trek a bit more 'seriously' :)

Also, I'm 31, female, living in England (but not a 'native'). I work as a teaching assistant with kids with special educational needs and I like reading, swimming, psychology and learning new things.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  10. Count Zero

Welcome, newbies! ;) And don't worry about not having seen all of Trek - that's perfectly all right, of course. Also, you still have something to discover if you want to, and that's always a good thing, I find.

I'm curious, where are you originally wrong, Cmdr Ji Qi Ren?

11. Cmdr Ji Qi Ren

Germany. The Chinese name is just because I got bored of the nicks I use on other forums.
    Where is "Land of Awesome"?
    Thanks for your welcome, by the way.

12. Count Zero

What a coincidence. I'm German, too. The Land of Awesome is more of a concept, it's wherever you are if you're awesome and wherever you want it to be.

13. Cmdr Ji Qi Ren

Oh, I know what you mean! That place is in my head! How come it's in yours, too?

By the way, how many posts do I need to get an avatar?

14. Count Zero

Great minds think alike and all that. ;)

According to the FAQ you need 50 posts and two weeks to get one. If you haven't already, you should definetely read the FAQ because it contains a lot of useful information and the board rules.

15. Jeffty5

Jeffty5 Ensign Newbie

Greetings and Salutations!

Hello all, I've been lurking as a guest for some time now and finally decided to plunge into the pool! I don't do a lot of posting on internet forums but this seemed like such a great group of folks who share my love for the show which (in part anyway) shaped my life, so... looking forward to wasting many hours at work discussing Star Trek with you buggers! Cheers!

16. CartoonTrekky

CartoonTrekky Cadet Newbie

Star Trek cartoon caricature artist says a big warm hello

Hi all, I am new to the forum.

I am a big Star Trek fan, my favourite being the original series because I grew up with that. Love the remastered version. I also like The New Generation and Voyager. Not so much The Enterprise or Deep Space Nine. I think it's the dark colours that put me off those two. I am not a fan of 'dark' lighting or subdued colours on any program.

I am presently drawing Star Trek cartoon caricatures which I hope you enjoy :) I do this for fun and so far have drawn Sulu, Kirk, Uhura and Spock but I hope to draw them all in time. I hope you enjoy them too.

(I will be updating them here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Copyright notice...If you wish to repost any of these images you may do so under the following guidelines: Select one image only and repost with a live link to my website page here so people can view the rest. Do not alter the images in anyway. Many thanks.

17. kirsten187

Hello to new members who have joined since my last welcome message.

18. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Had to google it, but I just lost an hour... at work, and I'm totally blaming you. :lol:

19. Cmdr Ji Qi Ren

Hahaha, I bet you would have found some other distraction if it weren't for me. ...
    So, what did you find?

20. Cmdr Ji Qi Ren

Re: Star Trek cartoon caricature artist says a big warm hello

LOL, I like it. But Kirk has hazel eyes. Sorry to be a nitpicker.