We are pregnant!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jun 12, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if you will carry our spawn.

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Vice Admiral Admiral

I mean that's fine, and I don't think anybody's saying "OMG you have to say 'We're pregnant!'" I certainly wouldn't use it myself because I think it sounds insufferably... well, twee, and internally roll my eyes when I hear it.

But as was mentioned there's plenty of things couples-in-which-the-woman-is-pregnant do that are obnoxious. They're excited, they're happy, and they want to share so why harsh their melon if it makes her happy? It's language evolving - in a direction I find silly, but I find many things silly.

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The whole thread took a ridiculous turn with the man-hating bit.

4. teacake

How could anyone hate their bits? Their bits are lovely.

5. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

I love my bits.

6. teacake

I'm sure they are very nice.

7. Coloratura

Indeed they are. Thank you for noticing.

8. teacake

I have all the jpegs in a special folder :adore:

9. Coloratura

Aw, you even marked it "System Files." :adore:

10. Revdkathy

Revdkathy BobTheSkutter's wife Moderator

I think the thread took a better turn when people started asking the 'why' behind this turn of phrase being a problem.

We've had a couple of millennia of misogyny (at best) and women being controlled due to the fact of this one thing that women can do that men can't. Men cannot control the conception and birth process. Heck, until fairly recently men had no way of guaranteeing that their wife's offspring was even theirs. And that lack of control over birth has driven male-dominated cultures to control women's freedom of movement, style of dress, access to education, right to participate in civil society.... the whole shebang.

So when I hear 'we are pregnant' I hear a bloke who doesn't want to admit that there's this one amazing ability his wife has that he doesn't. And when unread a thread full of (mostly) blokes saying 'meh, no big deal' I hear a bunch of people who still deep down don't get that male control of women starts right here, in utero, when they claim co-ownership.

My response to hearing that is to wonder how secure he really feels that the kid is his. ;)

11. teacake

It has not escaped my attention that the only full on detractors of the phrase in this thread are also the only people in the thread who have personally given birth.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

An example of how men used to control women's wombs is the talk I had with my doctor when I wanted tubal ligation back in 1982. This was during my checkup 6 weeks after giving birth.

The doctor (who has been my doctor right through my last pregnancy) was quite keen that I have it because I had had three difficult pregnancies and births, and last birth was life threatening and the doctor said he had doubts about me surviving another birth. He told me there were two problems a) I was under 30 (I was only 24) and b) I wasn't certain if my husband would give permission. My doctor said the lack of spousal permission would probably be a bigger problem than my age but he would apply to be allowed to do it without spousal permission.

There was about a 6-8 month waiting list for tubal ligation in the public hospital but my doctor jumped me up the list and 6 weeks later I was in hospital to have the operation done.

The doctor who was performing the surgery came around to question me. I asked me if my husband was OK with it as they didn't have his signature on the form. I said I had been over all that with my doctor. This doctor that asked me if my husband was the father of all my children. This really annoyed me and I answered "You are only asking me that because I am from a lower socio-economic group". He then said he would have to talk to my doctor. About an hour later he came back and told me that he had Oked the operation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. teacake

That is the biggest load of crap Miss Chicken!!! Husband's permission?!?!!!!!! WHAT FUCKTARDS

I bet when vasectomies suddenly became all the rage they didn't ask the wife's permission.

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am not certain when the law changed in Australia and I am not even 100% certain if it was a law or just hospital policy that required women to have their husband's permission.

I don't know what the policy was on vasectomies. Back then it was far more common for the woman to have tubal ligation than for men to have vasectomies.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft Premium Member

I couldn't help noticing it's mostly blokes saying it's fine. It's a silly thing that men feel to be inclusive they have to take ownership by calling it theirs(ours). Your partner is pregnant, you are not. You (we) maybe be expecting a child but that's not the same thing. Seems to me men can be included, supportive, involved without claiming ownership of pregnancy.

And no, it's not the same thing, having hardship throughout the pregnancy, worrying about your partner and child as being pregnant and having your internal organs squashed, lungs compressed, sickness, swollen ankles, plus the stress of all these things happening while it's supposed to be one of the happiest times of your life and you have to worry you haven't felt the baby move in a while, should I be doing this or that while pregnant . Etc etc . but oh, you had to be supportive, you had to be nice to your wife, you fucking hero you.

16. teacake

Jesus christ I am in love with you two. I want to have your (plural) babies.

BUT it is only ME pregnant ME ME ME.

You can both bring me tea. Thank you.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Wow. That is the most tragically bitter thing I've ever read on this board. I hope you manage to snap out of it someday.

I suppose. I'm not sure what you mean. But the point is is that if your husband was the kind of guy who said things like "we're pregnant," you would have had a much better marriage.

Yes, you are confused. But pick any backward, unenlightened decade when the sexes were segregated and the male's only contribution to pregnancy and childbirth was to impregnate the female. There are plenty to choose from.

Sure. You could even carry the pedantry a couple of steps further by saying, "We're expecting another child. Gina is pregnant. I merely injected the sperm. The developing fetus's older sibling here did absolutely nothing, but will be available for babysitting one day." I jest, of course. You're free to imbue whatever meaning into the benign euphemism that you like. But my point is that the benign euphemism would not exist if it were not for the world's cultural baggage of tight-assed religion.

And somehow you have managed to politicize a statement of family bonding into the exact opposite of what it actually means.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft Premium Member

I hope by you two you mean me and Kathy,would be highly inappropriate otherwise. :P

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Mila Kunis has freaky eyes.

20. teacake

Yes. You (plural) are adorable and hot. Like TOGETHER, not with me, don't worry I am never inappropriate just given to possibly inappropriate compliments :lol: