We are pregnant!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jun 12, 2014.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

In fact, I didn't. Thanks for explaining!

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never ever heard the phrase "we're pregnant" used, so I don't have a prior opinion on it. Of course, reading how people feel about it I am convinced it is inconsiderate, but I wished to add some general thoughts about similar phrases.

I've heard a lot of people say "we're going to college" when their child or grandchild is going to college, "we're sick and can't leave our bed" when their child or grandchild is sick, as well as "we're becoming fathers (mothers)" when their son (daughter) or grandson (granddaughter) is having a child. I always took that as a deliberately silly attempt of involvement, and thought that nobody hearing a similar phrase would have doubt in their mind who is working hard to get into college, who is fighting the sickness, or who is the one who will have the child – besides the parents and grandparents have fought harder challenges in their life, so it is not like they are belittling anything. I think that hearing your mother say "we're growing a beard" about her grandchild is funny and endearing, and in that context it is a metaphor I am fond of for just how silly it is.

On the other hand, the topic also made me think of how easily people who are not soldiers say "we're fighting a war", and people who are paying someone paint their house and install their furniture say "we're painting our house and installing new furniture". Dismissing someone else's hard work seems to be a huge thing with us people. In these cases the person doing the work has been practically forgotten, and I think that it sucks that our language has evolved to a place where we're simply not giving the right people the credit, and in some of them we're forgetting to do so every damn time. That's not only inconsiderate, it might even be harmful. I wonder what the change of perception would be if never ascribed the fighting in war to ourselves.

Probably without being the right person to speak about it, I think "we're pregnant" falls into both categories. An over-excited man claiming to be pregnant-by-proxy when they are ignorant of what that entails is funny. But I don't we should be taking the credit for what someone else is doing, let alone making a habit out of that.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I agree, sometimes it's just well-intended silliness. But sometimes it's because the speaker doesn't have a good sense of emotional boundaries and doesn't distinguish between themselves and... usually a child or spouse. I've known a couple people like that.

As for saying that we're doing something that we're actually paying someone else to do... Yeah, probably people do say that; I haven't really noticed. Personally, if I'm not doing the work myself, I say "I'm having my house painted" or "I'm having some electrical work done" or whatever.

Got some thoughts on "we're fighting a war", but they'll have to wait. Gotta run...

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That reminds me, the ongoing football World Cup as always highlights the use of "we" when talking about one's respective nation's national team, as in "we have a good chance of reaching the final this year" and the like, even when the individual is not actually actively playing.

5. rhubarbodendron

oooh yes! "We are World Champion" - "We are pope" Argh!!!! We obviousely are a people of idiots that are unable to use their own native language correctly!

And what's almost equally annoying is that irritating habit of some hospital doctors or even nurses asking "and how are we today?" (I frequently reply: "I have no idea how you are but I am ill which is why I'm in hospital." It doesn't really make me a popular patient LOL)

6. Tora Ziyal

^ OMG, I'd totally forgotten...

Years ago in hospital, I overheard a physician asking his patient something along the lines of, "And how are we peeing today?" I got out of there so fast! Wasn't sure which I wanted to do most: slap him or go hysterical laughing.

I opted for the latter. Out of hearing range.

7. rhubarbodendron

ROTFLMAO!!!! I'm not sure I'd have managed to run far enough before I went hysterical :D You must be a really quick runner!

8. Tora Ziyal

:lol: I closed the room door behind me -- to give the poor patient some privacy -- so I didn't have to run very far.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ At least the doctor didn't start acting like he was in a soap opera. That would probably freak patients out if they heard somebody go "Live, dammit, LIVE!!! I wasn't ready to play GOD today!!!!"

Although it might help if hospitals had organ music and a narrator in the background.

10. Tora Ziyal

^ If that's a typical line from a soap opera doc... Sheesh... Make that item #536 on the list of reasons why I don't watch soaps. :lol: