Watchmen Trailer Online

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shivkala, Jul 17, 2008.

1. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I've always loved Watchmen, but never understood why people seem to feel it needs to be filmed. It is what it is and works well that way. Transferring to another medium almost always weakens a work. And based on past adaptations of Moore's work (V for Vendetta, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) there is a very small chance that this won't get completely screwed up.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guarantee someone in the audience of 95%* of all the theatres playing it will.

*= + or - 5% margin of error.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Will you see it when it comes out? If the answer is yes you have your answer.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Abuse of Power Administrator

It's not even visible there. :confused:

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I know, twas a joke, hence the wink

6. Spaceman Spiff

Not funny.

Suggesting removal from forum.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Way off topic, but Spiff... your avatar moves eerily in sync with "Stairway to Heaven".

8. Spaceman Spiff

That's by design.

(No, it isn't.)

9. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Made me squint at the screen...

Very funny! :klingon:

:)

Anyway, another person who doesn't know anything about Watchmen (except that it's well-regarded) and I too thought that the trailer looked good. While I disliked the story of 300 and some of it's over-the-top-ness (I had never read the graphic novel either) maybe this will be better if they have taken it from an acclaimed and generally well-regarded item. Learned a lot btw on this thread - eg. the difference between graphic novel and TPB - I will probably still get it wrong again ...

10. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's with Dr. Manhattan being transparent? (If he grows more transparent over time, as he drifts away figuratively, that's be a cool touch... but it looks like a permanent choice.)

I SO want to see Rorschasch's face shift - will it? All the shots so far have been static.

It looks good so far, but I haven't seen enough to let my guard down yet - it could still suck. But it made it this far, which is encouraging...

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Clean Old Mod Moderator

Originally a 12-issue limited series from 1986/7, has been available in trade paperback at all reputable bookstores for the last 20 years: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216422832&sr=8-1

To reemphasize what I told Temis, I would highly recommend to anyone who thinks they may be interested in reading the original comic that they do so before seeing the movie. However good the movie is, it will only be an adaptation of a story that was told to perfection in its original medium.

Yes.

Just answering.

I think the point of any post on a discussion forum is to evoke discussion. Whether her points were her own beliefs or purely hypothetical, she raised them and they bore discussion.

I think people who have never picked up a comic in their life may be drawn to this movie just based on the visuals and style of the trailer--how strongly, I don't know.

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

If you watch (this is most noticeable during his "line"), you can see his mask does subtly shift.

I like the original series, so I am looking forward to this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, that doesn't diminish the original work.

13. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I'm not concerned with that at this point. The effects aren't finished. Just look at Dr Manhattan's face in some spots, then look at others. When he's split and when their kissing, it's very detailed and finished with good expression, but when he blows the one dude up, his face looks a bit off.

14. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not concerned either, just answering Yassim's question.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I think the term "graphic novel" is perfectly legitimate. I don't see what the problem is nor do I see them as trying to be something they're not. They're "novels" that have a visual element.

16. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

And I'm bored so I'm adding more to the conversation damnit! :klingon:

But seriously, ya, you can see his face shift during his line. You can also see it shift when he holds the guy up against the wall.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was the only trailer we got for the Dark Knight IMAX showing. It looked cool on that big screen.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Among other things, it's a more accurate term for these long-form stories than "comic book" - besides everything else, the adjective "comic" is traditional rather than descriptive or appropriate.

19. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I first read Watchmen sometime back in the late 90's (i.e. approximately 10-12 years ago). Up until that point, I'd mainly been reading superhero comics like X-Men and Fantastic Four. Well, once I'd gotten my hands on Watchmen, it made those other comics seem like candy-coated fluff by comparison. I can understand and sympathize with the opinion of those who are apprehensive about the film adaptation of this graphic novel. If you stop and think about it, that 12 issue series almost qualifies as a movie all by itself. The quality of the story and the sheer detail captured from panel to panel account for that.

That being said.... Ever since that first time I flipped through the pages of Watchmen, I've been dreaming of a big-screen adaptation. In fact, the only movies I can think of that I've ever anticipated quite like this would be Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now having seen the trailer online earlier today..... "Holy fuck!" are the words that spring to mind. I've enjoyed Zack Snyder's work thus far. The Dawn of the Dead remake was surprisingly good (though could never have hoped to surpass the original), and 300 was a pure adrenaline rush. With Watchmen, although all I have seen is a teaser trailer, Mr. Snyder may well have outdone himself this time. :)

20. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

my screening of Dark Knight didn't have the Watchmen trailer!!:klingon:

is it worth waiting another few days to see it on the big screen for the first time, or should I just watch it on youtube?