WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Grade the movie

1. A+

16.8%
  2. A

22.7%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

11.7%
  5. B

8.2%
  6. B-

5.5%
  7. C+

4.5%
  8. C

3.1%
  9. C-

1.7%
  10. D+

0.7%
  11. D

3.1%
  12. D-

1.7%
  13. F

1.4%
  1. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Elim, Did you get the Trek trailer in your session as well? Thought the movie was disappointingly average. Having read the novel, I wasn't expecting it to exceed in quality, but considering the talent involved, hoped that it would at least match it. Patrick Wilson, as always, was brilliant and the direction / cinematography top notch, but the pacing and script left a lot to be desired. C+

Also, Matthew Goode irritated the hell out of me. I think it was the hair.

2. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the full-frontal bluedity. :devil:

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'll probably be seeing this either next Monday or Tuesday. I'm in the middle of re-reading the comic right now. Looking forward to the movie. :)

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My ex-girlfriend said the same thing. She liked that he was a "shower" not a "grower" otherwise it would've been less fun seeing the 'bluedity'.

Me I'd have preferred more Silk Specter! :drool:

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I consider myself a fast reader but it's taking me a long time to reread it. There is just so much story packed into each page.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatness of Roger Ebert:

Link

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I tend to have a Love/Hate relationship with Roger Ebert. Sometimes he is very perceptive, one of few critics I admire. But sometimes he is this other guy, coming of like some of the people who post here and are fixated on inane details. That Ebert is a nut! His Watchmen review is clearly from the Insightful Ebert!

8. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. mosh

mosh Ensign Newbie

Just got back from a midnight showing.

Verdict:

Terrible.

More tommorow.

EDIT: 80% of the scenes fell flat, as they were lifted straight out of the comic book. Most of the actors had no insight into their characters, merely thought they were acting out some tome, so the scenes fell short and the acting felt either melodramatic or wooden.

Most insight were gutted from the book (E.g Rorshach's changed scene with the Swat Team, Silk Spectre's characterization, e.g.) at best, reducing character's dimensions to the grand total of one, and at worst, destroying the story, literally leaving the film as pointless. Can any of you tell me what this film was about? I can tell you what the graphic novel was about... this film... not so much.

On a tangent, the audience for this film gave me more of an unfortunate insight into humanity than this film could ever hope to achieve. I came out disappointed, and men from their late twenties to their early forties celebrated the film as some revelation, making me fear deeply for the place of fiction in society. If people can't abdicate their stupid beliefs for two hours, more or less, then we might be heading to a very dark place indeed...

Then again, they could put on these beliefs for the benefit of their group, as soon as the credits rolled... So maybe someone in the Renfrew St Cineworld, Glasgow, felt the same as me.

On a positive note, That Zach Snyder must have been some music video director. Nat King Cole's 'Unforgettable' played over The Comedian's execution was very enjoyable.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Solid B+.

They generally got the important stuff in. The one major piece of adaptation (the change to the ending) I thought was actually quite brilliant.

Acting was pretty good; Haley the obvious standout in the showiest role. Crudup didn't really sound like I thought Manhattan would, but I quickly got used to it. Akerman is probably the weakest link, but she was really hot, so I'm easy to please.

I missed a couple of lines here and there (I really wanted Manhattan to use the term "thermodynamic miracle", for example; for me, that phrase just brought home the think he was making).

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if there's a lot of boobage (especially from Gugino), that might explain his four stars. :p

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

B+

Pretty enjoyable. Haven't read the graphic novel, nor do I plan to.

13. boozebum

boozebum Ensign Red Shirt

F. I thought it was a pretentious movie. I knew who the bad guy was more than an hour before it was revealed. Overall it was pretty boring. Rorschach was a interesting character though, his scenes were always good. The rest of the movie sucked too much for Rorschach alone to redeem it.

There were people in my cinema literally laughing out load at the movie.

Like seriously, did we really need to be constantly bombarded with the sight of a luminous blue penis?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

C.

Love Rorshach and got to see the one chick naked.

Pacing was definitely the issue here... parts seemed to fly by, others not so much.

15. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

Hey, to those who saw the IMAX print was the 'Trek trailer attached? I know its with the regular one but did you guys see it with the IMAX print?

16. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Before going in to this movie I was talking about the opposite of "chick flicks" and came up with term "dick flicks" (which I'm sure many have come up with before).

Little did I know ...

--Ted

17. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't want to shell out cash for a Zack Snyder flick, but I may end up having to.

If I do cave in, should I bother with the IMAX version?

18. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Are the slow-mo fighting scenes as lame as I suspect they are?

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The guy playing Adrian was simply awful.

20. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been off the grid for awhile. But, is there some campaign against this movie in Georgia I didn't hear about? I looked up the listings for showtimes. There is only 1 theater playing it that's within an hour of me. It's a 24 screen place and it's only playing Watchmen 4 times a day on opening weekend. Medea Goes To Jail is playing 24 times today! This is a wide release. What's the deal down here? Heck, they're playing Street Fighter 11 times today. Now I have to miss BSG just to see this!

edit: nevermind. A different listing shows it playing more. What a relief.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009