Was it ever stated officially why Harry was an Ensign for 7 years?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by indolover, Oct 26, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Playing at Jane Austen always seemed very dull to me but every other female friend I've had has been smitten with the idea. Not enough swash and buckle. Too much tea.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tea, and tea parties and mad tea parties are now part of Johnny Depps sexy wheelhouse.

3. teacake

Whimsy is even worse than Austen tea parties.

Yes I know we are all supposed to love whimsy but it's always irritated the crap out of me.

Janeway's holodeck choices very much suited her, she's quite traditional and even a little stuffy, as well as enjoying her history. If it was me I'd like my fantasies to be real fantasies of worlds that don't actually exist, I'd like to go to Barsoom or similar.

Now if you steampunk Austen, bronze borgifying her, it at least has the potential of surprise. Silurians in hoop skirts etc.. Whereas exacting historical recreations are celebrations of the mundane and there will never be anything fascinatingly new.

4. Guy Gardener

They exist in a fantastic environment.

this crew doesn't have the imagination to contrive a more fantastic environment.

So they go the other way.

As impossibly dull as possible.

At least when Pulaski drank tea there was a 50/50 chance that she would be committing suicide.

5. teacake

They also like the challenge of limitations. Constricting social mores, constricting clothes, lack of tech.

Like how people today actually enjoy camping.

6. Guy Gardener

You would have thought that Basics would have cleaned their pallets of any more such idiotic inclinations?

HOLODECKS SUCK.

I preferred it when Starfleet officers controlled their boredom with whiskey and sex.

7. teacake

A TOS man then.

8. Guy Gardener

Possibly?

This is why Chakotay didn't get laid in Resolutions.

A real man would have invented wine and produced several dozen bottles before telling the only girl on the planet that he loved her constructing some bullshit all or nothing scenario.

9. teacake

Angry warriors do NOT make wine. Or, apparently, get laid :lol:

It's a good point though about the whiskey and sex outlet of the pre-holodeck era. Both those things involving real people interactions with potential for conflict and relationships, FALLOUT. No fallout on the holodeck, they had to malfunction for that to happen. Instead of the constant holodeck malfunctions they could have been having real malfunctions with each other and developed the characters and their relationships.

They should have had to suffer like the rest of us rather than making all their mistakes with photonics!!

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

If he was that poor, they wouldn't have kept him as the operations officer. That's a critical position. Instead he would've wound up stationed with Telfer, Harren, and Tal Celes.

11. teacake

Maybe the whole thing was a plot on his part to get demoted and stand next to Tal Celes all day!!

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

And he failed at that too??? Okay, he was just incompetent.

Next we'll find out that the Operations position on Voyager was automated, and Janeway filled the posting with screwups that she wanted to keep an eye on.

Same with the helm.

Same with Engineering, which is why they could lose so many people without apparent short-staffing or loss of efficiency.

Same with the sick bay, really.

Hmm, I sense a pattern here. Finally, it becomes clear why the bioneural gelpacks made a difference in the Intrepid-class. The ship didn't require a crew to run it! They were just there for show and occasionally to carry padds from place to place. And near-total automation would also explain why the self-destruct requires only one officer.

Wow, this show makes so much more sense now.

13. teacake

So you've realized it at last. Janeway is the only one that matters.

14. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

I sort of feel like future commanders looking at his service record and raising their eyebrows at the "Ensign for 7 years" part would most likely then see "U.S.S Voyager" printed right after it, and accept that as a pretty legitimate explanation. Everyone's going to know who the Voyagers were.

15. Guy Gardener

In the original Timeline where it took Voyager 21 years to get home... Kim was still an Ensign and Naomi Wildman was a Lieutenant Commander.

Positioned on Voyager is just Kim making excuses.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This all can be explained by my theory that Janeway castrated Chakotay right after Caretaker. It also explains why he was so lifelike and likable in that episode and lost it all the next and never got it back.

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That or Janeway really, really didn't like him for whatever reason.

18. teacake

Maybe she liked him too much, but as a lap dog. You wouldn't want your cute little lap dog to turn into a golden retriever.