Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Course: Oblivion.

I ruined it for myself. Seeing Paris being back as a LT I did a quick fact check to see if we was promoted between episodes. The twist revealed I just sort of went along for the ride.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's less obvious the next couple times they pull this.

3. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By going along for the ride, you seem to be blithely referring to what more than a few observers have described as an overwhelmingly poignant yet ultimately nihilistic accounting of a voyage, which can be slagged off by some as doppelgangers simply returning to their origins, but seems to this viewer as heroic in the intensity and substance of a collective life fully lived. I think that the continuation of the Silvers' story, telscoped as it is in the episode, is so compelling that the near total absence of the Originals, except as the last means to have these characters' existence remembered at all, is very, very welcome.

Thinking further though, one could certainly say they left their mark if by nothing other than their own interactions with DQ civilizations, the consequence of which impact we have no way of knowing. It is interesting to think of encounters that both ships might have had in common and how that would have been processed by those dealing with the visits as well as to speculate on the circumstances that allowed the Silvers to successfully develop the technology that got them so far ahead of Voyager Mk.1.

It also has bothered me that when Tuvok (IIRL) lists the trace elements remaining when Voyager arrives, no on has a spark of recognition, as in "hey that particular combination sounds familiar as in EXACTLY THE CONSTITUTION OF A LIFE FORM WE HAD A PRETTY SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCE WITH BEFORE"!!!!(albeit years before). If for no other reason, than it seems unlikely that this brew is not likely to be the signature residue found at the site of any spacecraft apparently blown to smithereens. But.... I guess even the hint that Voyager would ever even have the possibility of putting two and two together would negate the inescapably non-redemptive theme of this exercise. :(

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'll be doing a rewatch after I finish my runthrough of Blake's 7. My friend gave me seasons 1-6 so should keep me going for a couple of years. :)

5. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

The Fight last night. It was alright. Heavy use of the pan pipes in that one.

6. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Think Tank

Hey, I actually remember this one. After getting confused just where I dropped off on the original airing, I was surprised to hit one in the back half of season 5 that I recognised. I know I saw Equinox, but I've not recognised one for so long.

Nice guest star, and interesting plot with the double crosses and it all being a big massive ploy to get Seven on board their ship. The Think Tank themselves were pretty awesome, with such a varied range of aliens, it's something Star Trek doesn't do enough of. And I couldn't help but wonder if the guy in the fish tank was somehow connected to a certain probe in a film.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me the big problem with Dark Frontier is they didn't justify the Borg queen specifically wanting to grab Seven. Her motives there seemed kind of arbitrarily and did not make sense in the vein of everything we know about the Borg. And it also didn't make sense that the Borg would go about getting what they want by extortion.

Definitely the 'Nerfing point' of the Borg in the Voyager series.

8. Guy Gardener

The problem is that Seven would never have stayed once she found out that it was a trick, and if she didn't figure out t hat it was a trick then she wasn't smart enough to stay.

Also why create a problem for Voyager?

They were just as lost, maybe more lost a week earlier in The Fight, and they were up shit creek without a paddle in Juggernaut a week later.

9. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Also, why not offer a quick way home, or even a shortcut. Knock a year off and Janeway would bite your hand off. It was a pretty dumb idea from such a clever group.

10. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Fair point, that did bug me when the offer was made, or Seven was told she wasn't being re-assimilated. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense that bit.

11. Guy Gardener

In the sickbay they had both a Caretaker's corpse and an enhanced Ocampan corpse.

You would think that genetically you clone some interesting shit out of that exotic biomatter.

12. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Someone to Watch Over Me
    I'm surprised this one came so late after Seven's introduction, only because it's one of those episodes I remember. Having never watched seasons 6 and 7, but hearing of Seven hooking up with Chakotay I remember getting super annoyed because it was meant to be the Doctor. Re-watching I've been struck at how that take might not have been right, how their relationship was much more student/teacher than him having a thing for her. That changes this episode, and watching it a little older, it feels a little worse for it.

11:59
    One of those interesting flashback episodes that proves Voyager didn't give a shit about what had been established in previous treks for late 20th/early 21st century. All said, not a bad episode, if not very Trek. But a Mulgrew acting showcase, O'Donnell is very different to Janeway. Also, how much did she really contribute towards the genetic diversity of Janeway? She's obviously a late marriage for Mr Janeway, and he's already got a teenage son. Not that it matters, the whole point of it is what resulted from the memory of her, not her actual actions, but it was something that struck me as amusing.

13. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Relativity

Now that is an amazing opening to the episode. Also for a time jump, Seven and Janeway got to keep their memories, something Year of Hell needed to do for Paris and Chakotay to not make it a giant waste of time. I really liked the return of Braxton and his (non-psychotic) attitude towards Janeway, shame it's a different actor so the return had to be explained. Good time travel episode all round.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it's Bruce McGill, so it's worth it. It's too bad he wasn't the original Braxton. I've been a fan since Animal House was released.

15. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's great in his miami vice guest role too.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Happy Birthday, NightJim!

17. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Thank you sir. :)

18. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Yesterday I was a little ill after a rather massive birthday night out, so I got a fair bit of Voyager watched.

Warhead
    I was worried this was going to be another "oh we've found an AI that's dangerous and now we need to understand it" which admittedly it was, but transferring that AI into the Doctor raised it a few notches above yet another Prototype/Dreadnought rehash.

Equinox
    Basically my yardarm for how much of Voyager I've originally seen. By watching this I'm 100% into unfamiliar territory. It's a lot later then I thought (and also I don't believe I ever saw the second part after watching it)
    Damn that's a fine episode. I liked the mirroring of Ransom coming around as Janeway sank, and the portrayal of what could have been if Voyager hadn't stuck to Federation priniciples. What did the Equinox crew think was going to happen when they got back? The Federation would have strung them up for using the Aliens in that way.

Cool that remaining crew were brought onboard, and that Janeway busted them all down to crewmen. The characterisation of the Ensign Gilmore was a bit dodgy. She clearly didn't buy into Ransom's thinking, and used her work to ignore it. Yet the minute the breakout of holding she's all gun-ho. At least her switching sides with Ransom at the end helped a little. I kinda want to see more of the Equinox's journey through the Delta Quadrant, has there been any books or anything? Especially as when they were pulled there wasn't covered, other than the Caretaker again.

Survival Instinct
    I liked it, pretty neat idea. Though I don't have much to say about it.

Barge of the Dead
    ... anyway

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
    Picardo getting to act his arse off, which is always welcome. And the Aliens were a nice change from what Star Trek usually does. Fun episode.

19. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Alice
    I honestly can't work out how I feel about this one. The Paris goes off on one and wants to be all independent again feels like incredibly worn ground, and someone needs to come up with some better material for the character. Then again, this is almost a subversion of that, as he's basically mind controlled into that pattern, which is a half decent redeeming feature, but still, it's really the same ground with some new top soil trying to hide the patches.

Riddles
    A nice episode I nearly hated from the get go. The Neelix/Tuvok relationship felt like it moved on with Tuvix, and this episode ignores that and resets to Tuvok hating him, and once again relearning that maybe Neelix isn't that bad. Like 'Alice', this feels like the writing staff have no real idea of how to progress they're characters and instead are just retreading old ground hoping to pass it off as something new.
    That said, Tim Russ' acting and childlike performance as mindwiped Tuvok help redeem it somewhat.

20. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Dragon's Teeth
    After my last post moaning about them retreading old ground, this felt a little better. Admittedly the "Voyager falls for nice aliens who turn out to not be" isn't exactly original, but this at least did a nice spin on it anyway.

One Small Step
    I loved this episode. Brilliantly done, and that little mention of the World Series by Seven, and Tom's smile, worked exceptionally well.

The Voyager Conspiracy
    Incredibly hilarious. Been awhile since the show felt it could stick it's tongue in its cheek, and it does it incredibly well here.