Spoilers VOY: Children of the Storm by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, May 23, 2011.

?

Rate Children Of The Storm.

1. Outstanding

72 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Poor

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

Hey folks,

Thanks to all of you who have had a chance to read it and share your thoughts. Sounds like on the whole we're off to a good start.

And SciOne...made me laugh really hard just now.

Best,
    Kirsten

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, fourth.:brickwall:
    I guess I was mistaken then.

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Emphasis mine. That's a HUGE understatement IMHO. Usually stories that jump backwards and forwards in time are actually pretty dire in my experience and experimental by the author in non-linear storytelling. With CotS you handle this deftly and it seems natural.

I would also like to concur with Paris, if you had been on Voyager's writing team the series would have one of the best shows on television instead of the bastard stepchild of the franchise (I count Enterprise as the child dumped on the steps of the church and forgotten about, even though I personally liked it).

I haven't even finished the book and I want more.

4. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

John F. Kennedy

Theodore Roosevelt

I was raised a Christian. But to be honest it didn't take. My spiritual instruction rather came watching a group of humans and one very singular half alien, strive episode after episode to better themselves and their fellow beings.

I watched these beings make mistakes, and make just plain wrong choices. But unlike so many people who surrounded me they did not seek to defend their mistakes as right. Rather they worked to recognize where they had erred and to make amends. Whether it was a simply apology to a subordinate for angry words spoken under the pressure of the moment, or getting the ships doctor to whip up a bandage for a rock eating being at first thought of as a monster that the captain's phaser had wounded, these people strove to be better than good enough.

I saw this example time and time again on other shows.

I saw a human man violated by a race of cyborgs, turn away from revenge and allow one who belonged to that race to gain individuality.

I saw a Bajoran woman who had every reason to despise the people of another race learn to set aside her hatred and judge others on their merits.

I watched a human woman choose to protect a race of strangers even though it meant virtual exile for her and over one hundred others from the place they had called home.

I observed a human man and a Vulcan woman learn how to trust one another despite a very rocky start to their working relationship.

Time and again I saw all manner of beings strive to grow beyond their limitations, whether biological, cultural, or merely personal.

And I saw it again reading this book.

From a man who's desire to help a race that was hostile and so very alien that he was more concerned about doing that then escaping them, to a woman who has opened up to another to share her unique history, turning what had been a burden into a treasure.

I saw such wonders. And people made mistakes, and wrong choices. But they learned, and grew. And because of this a grief that had seemed eternal has been transformed to joy.

I believe.

I believe that these are not just "stories".

I believe that these are fundamental statements about who we can be if we choose it.

I believe that we have the potential live lives that are beyond amazing.

Sometimes I forget that though.

I work in a job that I hate because I have to.

I live in a country that every day seems to slip a little further into a kind of hell that I once thought was a thing of the past.

And sometimes I just try and get through the day without wanting to blow my brains out.

But then something like this comes along, and I am reminded of how much potential we have. While it is true that in some ways a story changes nothing, in so many ways it changes everything.

So thank you Kirsten for seeing so clearly into that world and sharing what you saw. Thank you for reminding me why I still believe that all hope is not lost.

Peace, and long life to you.

5. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Stoek,

You know, I do this work alone in the quietest place I can find, and there are so many nights when I wonder if it matters beyond the joy that I take in writing and the extra security getting paid to write provides. Of course, it matters to me. And of course I am immensly gratified when people respond positively to what I have written.

But I have never before had someone reflect back so clearly to me in their words what was in my heart when I wrote mine.

There is something almost shocking in it, and at the same time quite humbling.

Your experience of Star Trek in all of its incarnations and of the world we are currently living in, as well as your personal journey, both spiritually and day to day is an absolute mirror of mine. I too have worked jobs I hated because I had to. I too have been driven to near despair by so much if what is happening around us. And I too, have taken inspiration from stories, Trek and others, that have been lights in the darkness to me.

On some level I have always known I wasn't alone in this. But as you said, there are times when that is easy to forget.

I think, now, that those times might be fewer and further between in the future, and that is testament not only to what you expressed here, but also the simple elegance with which you said it.

You have given me a tremendous gift tonight. One that I can never really repay. You have my most sincere thanks, and I too wish you peace and long life.

With hope,
    Kirsten Beyer

6. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was greatly anticipating this book and was not let down. Children of the Storm was probably my favorite release from the past year. Beyer had a hard job to do and executed it well.

The story has an antagonist that is extremely powerful and had little foundation laid for it. Often times, ultra-powerful antagonists are poorly done as they end up being silly or defeated using techno-magic. But the Children were well developed into a very original and intriguing species and the situation was handled in a very Trek way. The resolution was the type that I expect from trek and involved a perfect balance of ingenuity and technology without the techno-babble.

Another area where Beyer could have failed in this book was relying on original, off screen characters for ½ - 2/3 of the book. Despite much of the story centering on new characters I was able to get into the plot and personalities and enjoy the experience. The returning VOY characters were also well done and showed Beyer well understands the characters and appears to know the directions we want the tv characters to take. At no point in the book did I think, “He wouldn’t do that!”

The uniqueness of Full Circle Voyager to me is that it is a fleet with many, many characters. With 9 ships and 9 command staffs, it is easy to get overwhelmed, forget what is happening to each crew, and not get emotionally attached to anyone. This didn’t happen to me. I stayed hooked throughout the read and never once got lost. I totally didn’t expect what happened to the Demeter or Guirinal; they were jaw-dropping moments.

I expected to be ready for another author to take a crack at this but Beyer has kept the momentum going and each of her books keep getting better. I am more hooked on VOY than ever and look forward to the next installment.[/SIZE][/FONT]

7. MatthiasRussell

I would also add that, as a parent, I really enjoyed this book as I saw much of my children in "The Children". VOY always had a family feel to it and Janeway was very maternal to her crew. Between the antagonist and Miral, I could tell Beyer understands kids quite well. She really nailed them and captured that family feel. Though I liked Janeway, Eden has kept the maternal/shepherd feel going.

I'm angered at the hate for this series that there is at startrek.com. Lots of people there who refuse to even consider reading these great books. I exhausted myself trying to encourage them to overcome their bias and give it a try.
    http://www.startrek.com/article/kirsten-beyer-unleashes-a-storm

8. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I wish there were a higher superlative than Outstanding for this poll. I finally got my copy and couldn't put it down. Beyer is a true believer and loves these characters as much as we do. I have loved every one of her Voyager books for the spirit they're offered in; hope and exploration and the joy of creation. I was very moved by this installation and feel that these last three books go a long way to heal the hurt of the death of Janeway. They also remind that life goes on and is not only worth living but living as well as can be. Thank you Kirsten, for another wonderful chapter of Voyager. I can't wait for more. They have encouraged me more about the future of StarTrek than any other ST books/movies I have enjoyed recently.

9. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very entertaining novel. A++++.

Great addition of new characters but I was kinda disappointed when I read the appendix at the end, where a lot of the ships in the fleet is manned by humans, aside from the Hawking, a mostly Vulcan vessel. I guess I just like it when there's more variety and everything is less human-centric in the Federation.

I hope in the next one they will run into an already encountered species from the show, Hirogen perhaps. I'd love to see the planet settled by humans in the Delta Quadrant (The episode with Amelia Earhart) and what had become of them.

I can't wait for the next one. Anyone know if and when the next is coming out?

(I just signed up and i couldn't believe this name wasn't taken! =D :EDIT: wasn't)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the board, star trek. :)

11. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

I loved it the perfect Trek format ships out exploring the unknown the author nailed all the characters.

A few thoughts.

1. I love the fact the Seven and Cambridge are starting a relationship I find this very funny and intriguing.

2. We finally got a description of one of the ships Achilles. I picture it as the saucer of Prometheus with basically a huge box as the massive cargo hold with two massive nacelles. I just wish we got a better description of the Merrian class.

3 I loved Captain Farkas and O'Donnel!

Only negative is I don't like Eden as still being a Captain IMO it's a little confusing. Star Fleet should have given her a field promotion to Admiral or since the is unique as in Star Fleet doesnt usually send out fleets, She should be a Commador.

12. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think of it as a negative exactly, but I would like to see something like that. I doubt it'll happen though, and I'm okay with that.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. MatthiasRussell

^LOL, I sited that one a few posts up. Did you read the comments? A lot of haters out there REFUSE to read VOY until Janeway is brought back no matter how good the books are. PD gets a lot of personal hate, too.

15. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally finished reading the book and I have to agree with everyone who loves it. Kirsten really has captured the Voyager characters perfectly. Wish I knew when the next one was coming out.

I wonder what the actual description of those fighters is. I'd like to think of them as like the Vipers of BSG.

16. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

Funny you should say that, I thought the exact same thing when I was reading.

17. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or the Kazon. Given their desire to obtain Voyager's technology, it'd be like Christmas for them, now that there's an entire fleet.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've gotten alot of that around here too. We've had a couple threads go on for days with people just arguing about that stuff.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just finished it and I really enjoyed it - in fact, it's the first Trek book I've liked in a long time. I never liked Voyager very much, no I'd go further than that and say that it was largely garbage but I like this and I enjoyed reading about the characters - both new and old. Even Neelix the intergalactic sex offender was made into a bearable character.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, that's a ridiculous characterization. First off, we have no proof that Neelix and Kes were actually sexually active together. Second, Kes wasn't human, so it's nonsensically ethnocentric to judge her maturity by human standards. She was a capable adult by the standards of her own species, and nobody who paid any attention could possibly think she was too immature to make responsible choices. Hell, she was the wisest person on the ship. So calling Neelix a sex offender is as insulting to Kes as it is to Neelix, because it's misrepresenting her as a helpless child.