USS Galactica in Star Trek

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Mars, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

What if the Galactica was a Galaxy Class Starship, imagine the same sort of characters in BSG as the crew of a Federation ship, starting with Bill Adama as captain, what would the other crew positions for significant characters be in the Star Trek World, and how would Kara Thrace and Lee Adama fit in? Would they be shuttle pilots or something else?

Of course Saul Tigh would be first officer, I wonder what Star Fleet command would think of his drinking habits? In fact all the crew does a lot of drinking, now that I mention it, and a Chief Medical officer who smokes in front of his patients, seems this would be a most unusual starship in the fleet. Dr. Gaius Baltar would make chief science officer, how about that? We got to make Number Six a crew member too, she would be a tall female version of commander Data with her emotion chip intact. Can you picture this?

2. Chemahkuu

Chemahkuu Admiral Admiral

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tigh would most likely be drinking synthehol. That might make some difference.

Kara would be in a facility similar to the one Tom Paris was in at the beginning of "Caretaker."

I can't see Cottle smoking, as there's no real equivalent in Trek in the 24th Century.

I could see Baltar being a relative of Dr. Soong, especially given his ancestors. Baltar Soong...

4. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

What about Cylon Model Six being a white pasty-faced Android with a positronic brain?

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

USS Galactica:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

Ar-Pharazon, that is very cool :bolian:

Is that of your own making?

8. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

That's neat, and I'd say it would make a nice starship for Star Trek Online.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The Galaxy-class ships and the Battlestars are not easily comparable. The Galactica is a heavy battle cruiser, with fighters and an on-board Marine compliment. Galaxy-class ships are exploratory vessels with science equipment.

As I mentioned in your other thread, there are no real fighters in the Star Trek universe, as nearly all battles take place between large ships. For Lee and Kara to be shuttle pilots would probably be a step-down from what they're used to. So it'd be interesting to see a "Battlestar-class" ship in Star Trek, complete with Vipers and a launch bay.

10. Ar-Pharazon

No, if only I had that much talent.

I just remembered it when I saw the thread.

11. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I really like that starship, is it part of the Star Trek Online setting? I have a thread on a warp fighter in Trek Tech, this may give you an idea of what a Star Trek fighter would be like. The main advantage of fighters is that they are more maneuverable and harder to hit. Sometime someone should write a bit of fan fiction involving this starship and crew. I wonder what roles the various Cylon models would play? Star Trek does have some androids in it. I wonder, by the 25th century, you think they would have reverse-engineered Data and created new similar androids? I could imagine 12 models of androids, and I don't really see the need to make them all pasty white like Data, but watch out, make them too "human" and they might rebel!

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone think that this was an interesting, much less good, idea?

13. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Ask the man who made the poster of the USS Galactica.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Same name, different universe.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

16. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Maybe keep the starship, dispense with the BSG crew, I think the Federation could really use a starship like that in Star Trek Online.

17. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

In "Sacrifice of Angels" Sisko threw Fighter Wing after Fighter Wing at the Dominion fleet to blow a hole in their lines.
    You can argue over their effectiveness, but I get tired of the desperate insistence that there are no fighters in Star Trek.
    I agree they do not operate like fighters in the modern world, but they must be good at doing something or Starfleet wouldn't build them. They are entirely too vulnerable for the feds to throw them out there, with all of the casualties that entails, for no return.
    I always figured they were good at weakening shields before the battle lines met. But I freely admit that is just my own interpretation.

18. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I liked that picture of the "Trekified Battlestar submitted in the second or third post, I think that would fit in fine in the Trek Universe, but I have to admit, it looks more like a warship than an exploritory vessel, with four warp nacelles no less, it could probably tear a Galaxy class ship apart and take on seven Klingon Battlecruisers all at once, especially with its fighter wings!

19. Ar-Pharazon

Back in the late 70's - early 80's, we made a Battlestar SSD for Star Fleet Battles.

We tried to stay true to the concept. No shields but lots of armor, no phasers, but lots of lasers (or at least lots of low end phasers, type 3's maybe).

I really can't remember the outcome.

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

What exactly is the difference between a phaser and a laser anyway? A laser could be set on stun too, its called an electrolaser, a low intensity laser beam ionizes a path through the air to the target, then an electric current is run from the laser to target of sufficient intensity to stun him but not kill.