Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. I like ENT and Voyager - all seasons

2. I vastly prefer TOS Remastered to the original versions

3. I can't stand the Maquis.

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Star Trek VI being the best of the movies doesn't seem to be shared by a whole lot of other people.

I'll also go in on the Star Trek V not being so bad thing.

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most opinions in this thread, I can go, "Okay, I guess I can see how you could possibly think that." But Robin Curtis over KA? It is such a foreign concept to me, I truly can't imagine it. Perhaps you are visiting non-carbon based life? That would explain such divergent thinking. If so, welcome. Please treat us well.

4. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

DE:

No. It says "Episode 4" in big bold lettering in it's opening crawl. Plus, if you were to watch the behind the scenes SW stuff, it showed how Lucas had written some basic stuff for the previous chapters, too.

No. It says "A New Hope" right on the new special edition DVD cover.

It doesn't matter if the prequels were awful or not. Which by the way I can understand where you are coming from. I think the prequels were nowhere close to the awesomeness of the Original Trilogy (but still watchable on occasion). Anyways, the Prequel stories were roughly thought of from day one. We just didn't get to see those chapters of the story yet. And just because we liked the characters better in the Original Trilogy doesn't discount the fact that there was three chapters (that we didn't get to see) from day one.

...And I would agree. In fact, I never suggested that you should watch Deep Space Nine randomly. I suggested to watch it from the Season 3 cliffhanger episode "Adversary" and then continue on into Season's 4-7 where the heat of the story really starts to pick up, just like Episode 4: "A New Hope" did.

Duet was a good episode. I will admit that. But in my opinion, (which I am sure a lot of other folks would agree) it still pales in comparison to ton of other episodes in Season's 4-7. Not that you should adhere to popular opinion or anything.

In the Hands of the Prophets, The Maquis, The Wire
    The Jem'Hadar/The Search and the Second Skin were mildly entertaining to just okay in my book. In fact, I really don't see these episodes being hailed as the best of Trek. But we each have or own personal likes and dislikes (Which is neither right nor wrong of course).

The House of Quark, and Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast were really good. But I still think that the beginning episodes "you have to drag your feet thru" can lose a viewer, though. Sure, they may be great to you. But I have found people don't like slow moving story lines as much as they do faster paced ones. Now, if I knew that person was into slower moving dramas... then I probably would recommend them to watch the series from the very beginning then.

Crossover was good. I also liked In A Mirror Darkly a lot too (which was in the 3rd Season as well). But to me, the mirror universe episodes were the best episodes in the first three seasons. Granted, I also really enjoyed "Whispers" and "Visionary" a lot as well.

Cool. I am glad you enjoyed the DS9 trailer.

:)

Side Note:

Oh, and I created another thread on this topic so we can continue to engage in this fun little conversation of ours.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=3942912#post3942912

Hope you like.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's just a TV show.

6. Luther Sloan

Sector 7:

Thank you, friend.
    I try to be amusing in my posts whenever I can. Sometimes I succeed and other times it gets lost in subspace.

;)

Appreciate that. I just hope folks give all of the various Star Trek series a worthy of enough chance before disqualifying it. I am know they would be pleasantly be surprised and thankful if they did.

Again, thank you for the kind post back.

:)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Luther Sloan

Mr. Laser Beam:

Yeah, I agree. Why have a cheap cut of meat when you can have flame mignon for the same price?

Well, I never shed any tears over the Maquis destruction. I know that. Their cause was selfish. They led tons of people to their deaths over their attachment to an object or thing. I mean, all they had to do was relocate and no one would have died. I mean, life isn't about holding onto things. It is about doing good towards others.

Stupid idiots.

;)

8. Luther Sloan

I don't see anyone really disagreeing with that. Then again, the guy who tried to make a TOS Romulan cloaking device out of Radio Shack parts (from Trekkies) would probably disagree with you, though.

:D

9. Luther Sloan

Just Kate:

I used to hold a very similar view point concerning Khan and Star Trek 2, as well. In fact, I felt like Khan and his cronies in Star Trek 2 were a bunch of bad space hippies or something. At the time I liked the Space Seed episode ten million times better because it worked within the confines of a 1960s television show. However, upon a recent viewing: I actually did a complete 180 on my opinion of it, though.

It's funny how our tastes change.

10. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Lieutenant Red Shirt

There are plenty of cool ideas that they've just not 'gone ahead and done' in Star Trek unfortunately. Much as I like most of the franchise, threats to the federation in most cases are never fully realised, there's seldom any 'shadow dancing'. The Borg in TNG - not fully realised, Romulans - Not fully realised. The Dominion in DS9 - Ok, so this threat was better sustained, The Borg, The Hitites (began with an H-something anyway the Hunter-obsessives) in Voy, a little better sustained there.
    Enterprise - A little better than most - That whole attack on Earth thingy.

Babylon5 was well sustained for looming threats, and NuBSG is really threatening (even if its a bunch of bankers being chased by robots - yes, I've still got a bug-bear about their costume choices). Farscape - yes there's several psychos in black chasing the human for sustained periods. Andromeda - the DEvil (or whatever) through several seasons. Stargate - cliched bad guys and other false gods chasing humanity to the brink of panic and annihilation.

11. Luther Sloan

NCC-1701:

I want to personally congratulate you on an awesome thread idea.
    Totally cool, man.

Keep the good ideas comin', friend.

:techman:

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Luther my friend, I hope you don't recieve a warning for posting four times in a row. I once posted three times in a row and was warned for spamming. Hope the same thing doesn't happen to you.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Literally the most retarded rule on any forum ever.

14. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Lieutenant Red Shirt

'Space Seed' - Is that the one about the barefoot hippies?
    I'm terrible with episode names, except when it comes to Bab5.

Did anyone else think the hippie with the musical instrument looked a little like Quentin Tarantino?

Tastes do change - but sometimes some episodes (or even whole shows) look dated and in poor light ten or more years down the line. I absolutely loved Quantum Leap when it was first aired - a friend bought it recently, I watched a few episodes but could'nt stand it. I think it was a combination of both my taste changing and show looking dated.

A New Hope always seems so timeless to me even though some of the look and feel places it securely in the late seventies while the following films feel dated (Return of the Jedi especially). Perhaps its the white costumes Luke and Leia first appear wearing - gives it a 'New Age' (ok, maybe that phrase is dated) feel, perhaps its because it feels seperated from our timeline.

15. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I prefer scenes with Wesley Crusher over those with Will Riker.

16. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Some of mine have been said by others, but I still think they're "unpopular".

In no particular order:

1. TOS Remastered was an idea that was allowed to go too far. It went from the notion of upconverting the original effects to the project becoming "TOS Revision". Paramount's release of the original versions to Blu-Ray and other shows like The Prisoner being issued to HD showed the exercise wasn't necessary (to the extremes it was taken). I know someone else here actually put the opposite opinion of supporting TOS Remastered as the unpopular one, but seeing as I get slapped down everytime I try to defend TV history (as I will be again), I think this view is unpopular.

2. Enterprise was a good show that attempted to break the status quo; it began to falter when the writers started catering to fan wank in the final season.

2 1/2. Enterprise's Xindi arc was the strongest single season of Star Trek since TOS year one.

3. These Are the Voyages is far from being the worst Star Trek episode ever.

4. The worst Trek episode ever was one of Gene Roddenberry's original TOS stories, The Omega Glory.

5. The Dominion War arc on DS9 ran waaaaay too long and should have been wrapped up in a single Xindi-like season (with season-finale bookends) rather than dragging on for something like 3 years.

6. The Borg were ripped off from Doctor Who's Cybermen.

7. I see nothing wrong with continuing characters in a Trek series entering into a romantic/sexual relationship (Troi/Riker, Odo/Kira, T'Pol/Trip, Chakotay/Seven) and don't believe it was ever handled in a "childish, immature" manner which seemed to be the default Trekkie criticism anytime such a circumstance arose.

8. The addition of Seven of Nine almost single-handedly saved Voyager from being cancelled midway through its fourth season.

9. Enterprise's low ratings on UPN do not reflect the quality (or lack thereof) of the show, but had more to do with how affiliates of the then-collapsing network were mistreating it (preempting it for local sports, showing a replay during a non-Nielsen time period), and the show would have continued for a fifth year if UPN had been able to better control its affiliates. (And if a Michael Grade situation hadn't occurred; just substitute Les Moonves.*)

Alex

* Michael Grade was one of the head honchos at the BBC in the 1980s. He had a profound dislike for Doctor Who and tried to cancel it in 1985. The show continued into 1989, but Grade is considered symbolic of the lack of administrative support for Doctor Who during the last few years of the "classic" series. Moonves, while not necessarily a Trek-hater, nonetheless symbolizes the lack of support for televised Trek by 2005, after several high-profile supporters of the series and franchise had left the network).

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought so too, but what can you do?

18. Withers

Withers Captain

Do you guys not have the edit button? I mean I agree when they warn or threaten to ban you over it, it's silly, but posting a bunch of times in a row when you can just as easily make them in one post or edit your initial post and add to it... what's the problem?

They wanted to get started with the Dominion stuff heavily in season four but were explicitly told to "shake the show up" and that's why we suddenly have the Klingon war, the addition of Worf and the Defiant. The writers/producers intended Home Front/Paradise Lost to be the end of Season three/Beginning of Season 4 but it got held off until midway through four pushing the the actual war into season 5.

But either way; do you mean the Dominion should, themselves, have just been in a season or that the war should have been fought and won in one season? I thought their build up was essential to giving them complexity rather than just having them be the next "Borg."

-Withers-​

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

But simple to follow. It would have been five in a row if I hadn't accidentally interrupted his flow. That probably would have provoked a mod.

20. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

If you want to complain about the rules, take it up with T'Bonz, don't do it in this forum.

Luther Sloan, please use the multi-quote feature instead of responding to each post individually. The Board rules do state "Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread." It may sound silly but we've had a few asses who abused the priviledge.